Lacinato and Red Russian kale varieties boast a dark blue-green color, making them a must for a healthy July Fourth holiday. This superfood is an antioxidant powerhouse and has lots of calcium and iron that may support your bone and blood health, respectively.8 Instead of serving potato chips, make kale chips — you’ll be surprised how excited your friends and family are to eat them!
Use this simple and healthy recipe to make crispy kale chips everyone will enjoy!
- 1 head of kale, washed and dried
- ½ lemon
- Your favorite spices, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 300 F.
- Remove the tough stalks and rip the kale leaves into bite-sized pieces.
- Squeeze the juice of half a fresh lemon over the kale and “massage” it by scrunching the leaves in your palms.
- Spread the kale in one even layer on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet (don’t cook too much at once or the kale won’t dry up into “chips”).
- Sprinkle on your favorite spices. Garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, chili powder and cayenne pepper are all great options!
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until crispy.
- Flip the kale chips over halfway through the cooking time and keep an eye on them so they don’t burn.
- Let cool and enjoy!
Photo by Pinkyone on Shutterstock