Warm up with a cup of delicious vegan tomato basil soup! Juicy tomatoes are simmered with spices and creamy coconut milk for a satisfying soup that’s perfect for a cold winter’s day. This recipe makes three 1-cup servings, so enjoy a bowl at lunch or dinner and save the rest for later!
Makes approximately three 1-cup servings
Serving size - 1 serving = 1 cup
Total exchanges per recipe: 3 fat
Total per serving: 1 fat
If you're following the Jenny Craig program, check with your consultant before making any swaps or changes to your plan to ensure you stay on track!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 28-ounce (800 mg) can of whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup light coconut milk
- Heat olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pot, over medium-low heat. When the pot is hot, add onions and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until the onions are soft. Stir often to keep the onions from burning.
- Add the entire can of whole tomatoes, including the liquid, and 1 cup of water.
- Using the back of a wooden spoon, gently smash the tomatoes.
- Add dried oregano, dried basil, paprika, and a pinch of kosher salt. Raise the heat to medium and bring everything to boil.
- Let soup simmer for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Let the soup cool off for 5 minutes before transferring to a blender to blend.
- Return soup to pot. Stir in coconut milk and black pepper.
- Serve in bowl.
Edited by Stephanie E - Jenny Craig