Weight Loss Coaches Share Their Summer Slim-Down SecretsBy Elisa Hoffman
Updated: May 7, 2020
You can lose weight and still enjoy your summer! We asked 11 Jenny Craig weight loss coaches to share their secrets to slim-down this summer. Here’s how to eat well, move more and enjoy life this season!
Laura K., New York
- My best summer slim-down advice: Eat plenty of seasonal fruits and vegetables! If it's accessible, visit your local farmer’s market and put some extra steps on your pedometer as you walk through the market and choose seasonal fruits and vegetables. Enjoy berries, melons, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, etc. These are all in season, and “eating the rainbow” will help you get your recommended daily vitamins and antioxidants. Can't make it to a market? Frozen fruits and vegetables are just as nutritious!
Fruit_Photo by Yulia Khlebnikova on Unsplash
- Barbecuing in your backyard? Barbecues don’t have to be about hamburgers and hot dogs. Experiment with different vegetable and fruit kabobs. They are fun to eat, you can be creative with what you make, and best of all, they are low-calorie and can fit into your Jenny Craig plan. Eggplant, zucchini, onions, peppers, tomatoes, pineapples and bananas all taste great grilled.
Photo by Dan Gold on Unsplash
Lisa A., New Jersey
- Add some great salsa to your meals! Pineapple or mango and peach salsa will brighten up your chicken dishes with a sweet taste of summer. Try this quick and easy summer salsa recipe.
- If you want to slim down this summer, ditch the booze! Empty calories from alcohol can add up quickly and sabotage even the best weight loss intentions. Instead, enjoy a non-alcoholic beverage with a colorful fruit garnish. Choose something refreshing like sparkling water or unsweetened iced tea. You can even add herbs, fruits or vegetables (like cucumber) to your water to enhance the flavor. Enjoy in your favorite glass and toast to a healthy and happy summer.
Photo by Jacek Dylag on Unsplash
Bonita R., Connecticut
- Keep a summer survival cooler on hand at all times with plenty of non-starchy veggies and fruit, Jenny Craig snacks and ready-to-go shakes.
- If you're going to a small gathering, volunteer to bring a fresh veggie or fruit platter. These are perfect for Father's Day, Fourth of July or any other occasion.
- Freeze ice cubes with lemon juice and lime juice to throw into your water and top it off with some fresh mint. Refreshing!
- Take advantage of longer days and more daylight. Take a stroll after dinner or first thing in the morning to experience the sunrise/sunset!
Suzanne H., New York
- Having a vegetable medley allows you to enjoy all your summer vegetables right from your garden. Take the vegetables and steam them in foil (add a touch of Italian seasoning) on the grill.
- To add some summer zest, you can drizzle our Jenny Craig Balsamic Dressing right on top of the veggies for an amazing healthy dish.
Deb S., Virginia
- Grill your Jenny Craig Turkey Burger, Chicken Sandwich or Classic Cheeseburger and add your favorite toppings. Grill your favorite summer veggies with your unlimited free and limited free flavor enhancers like garlic, salsa, hot sauce or soy sauce.
- Have a travel-friendly emergency food kit in your car (e.g., Chicken Cranberry Salad Kit and White Cheddar Popcorn) in case you get hungry while out and about.
- Pull out your favorite smaller summer outfit and hang it where you can see it ... strive to fit comfortably in it before the end of summer. Fitting into your clothes is a great non-scale victory!
Julia N., Maryland
- If you're able to take a vacation this summer, make sure to stick to your healthy habits! You can still enjoy three healthy meals and three snacks a day. The trick is to understand portion sizes (use this handy guide for reference!). Divide your plate into sections. One half of your plate should be for non-starchy vegetables (think: broccoli, asparagus and leafy greens), one-quarter of your plate should be for lean protein (grilled chicken, lean steak or shrimp) and the other quarter of your plate can be for whole grains like brown rice or whole-wheat pasta.
- If you're a Jenny Craig member, bring some snacks and bars with you to keep you on track. This can alleviate some stress when it comes to planning healthy snacks.
Sharon K., Illinois
- Engage all your senses and practice mindful eating. Eating outdoors is a great way to balance the pleasure of eating with the sights, sounds and smells of summer. Slowing down and enjoying every bite might make you less inclined to consume excess calories. At the same time, it helps builds a more balanced lifestyle.
- Join or create a cookbook discussion/club. There are plenty of online groups you can join! Choose a recipe from a preselected healthy eating cookbook, make the recipe, and bring it to your next discussion. Sampling and savoring new dishes that are both healthy and enjoyable provides you with the incentive needed to stay on track, as well as the opportunity to make new friends and healthier choices. (If you're looking for inspiration, check out our recipe section on the blog!)
Kristy H., Texas
- Focus on the reason why you want to lose weight. Perhaps you're getting married, or you're attending a class reunion in the future. Or, maybe you simply want to wear your favorite bathing suit and be out by the pool with confidence.
- When eating on vacation, focus on portion control — remember your Jenny Craig meals and try to replicate the portions. When eating out, ask for a to-go box right away or share meals with someone instead of ordering yourself! (Here are more tips for dining out when you're trying to lose weight.)
Judy G., Illinois
- Kick up your summer activity. There are lots of outdoor activities to choose from — walking, riding your bike and playing with your kids are just a few. (Check out these 7 summer activities that don't feel like exercise.)
- Buy a fun new summer water bottle to carry with you wherever you go! Sipping on it throughout the day will help you stay hydrated in the hot summer weather.
Delia H., Indiana
- For my teachers, administrators, and bus drivers: Think of someone you would like to continue to see over the summer and plan two days a week to get together and walk! Grandmas and young mothers get the stroller out, get a workout, and let the little one get fresh air too!
- My best summer slim-down tip: Stay hydrated! Add at least one more bottle of water per day as our bodies will need it! (Here are 10 ways to drink more water every day.)
Lori L., Illinois
- Eat plenty of summer fruits and vegetables to supplement your hunger or cravings!
We hope you found these summer slim-down tips helpful! If you want to lose weight and feel great this summer, Jenny Craig can help. Get nutritious, ready-to-go meals delivered straight to your doorstep. Get started today!