New Year's Resolution Weight Loss TipsBy Jenny Craig
Jenny Craig is here to help. Schedule a free appointment with one of our weight loss consultants today!
We can all agree that losing weight is one of the most popular resolutions to make for the New Year! And this is the year you’re ready and committed to making changes every month, not just in January (and we couldn’t be more excited for you!).
But after you’ve clinked glasses, cleaned up the gold and silver confetti, it’s time to get down to business. Having a weight loss resolution for the new year is a great start, but breaking your resolution down into mini-resolutions will help you meet your year-end goal–to be the best version of you! Here’s how:
Make measurable goals
With pen and dedicated notebook in hand, brainstorm and write down a list of measurable goals that will actually help your weight loss journey and help you conquer that weight loss resolution! The more specific the goal, the more attainable it is. Here are some healthy ideas to get you started:
● Commit to taking the stairs wherever possible
● Sign up for a 5K in your city even just walk
● Commit to a 30-minute fitness class at least twice a week
● Rid the pantry of chips, cookies or any unhealthy snacks
● Commit to a weight loss program meal plan with Jenny Craig and stick with a low-calorie diet to help you hit your long-term weight loss goal.
● Support a healthy metabolism by getting at least 8 hours of sleep every night and waking up at the same time each day.
● Ditch the office break room at lunch and go for a 30-minute walk to get your body moving.
● Watch your media content on a stationary bike instead of your couch
● Trade in your soda (which has unnecessary calories) for tea, sparkling water or water with a slice of cucumber or lemon.
If you can give yourself a gold star after accomplishing a goal just as you might have done as a kid, then you'll know it's measurable. And using a chart to track each goal with an accompanying gold star sticker pack isn't such a bad idea!
Take it week-to-week
That long list of goals seems just as overwhelming as the resolution to “lose weight,” doesn’t it? Don’t worry–you don’t have to start doing everything tomorrow. Instead of fretting about changing bad habits to good ones overnight, spread your mini-resolutions throughout the year.
For each week, assign a few goals, and by the time the next week rolls around, you'll be ready to add a new goal, such as trying a new, non-starchy vegetable, testing out a new spice on your meal, or engaging in physical activity at least twice a week. Because you took baby steps and reached smaller, specific goals through the year, not only will you likely lose weight, but you will look and feel your very best!
Because your mini-resolutions are measurable, it’s time to treat yourself. With all of those gold stars you’ve collected, set a non-food reward for the end of each month. Get a manicure in March, pick up new warm-weather workout gear in May, and splurge on a new pair of jeans in October, since we know you’ll be needing a smaller size!
Additional New Year's Resolution Weight-Loss Tips
● Stick with your routine and stay motivated. If this means marking off each day on a calendar to show your progress than go for it! Find a way that works for you to keep yourself motivated toward your weight loss goal.
● Avoid eating out as much. While eating out, you'll most likely be faced with larger portions and unhealthier options. By cooking for yourself, you can monitor your portion size and know the exact ingredients you are consuming.
● Get moving and keep moving. This doesn't have to be a structured gym session or class. Whether it is a walk around the neighborhood or a bike ride, all that matters is you keep your body moving. It is recommended that adults get at least 150 minutes of moderate exercise every week.
● Find a group or a buddy who is working towards the same goal as you. Having support from peers is one of the keys to long-term weight loss success.
So now when mid-January rolls around, instead of giving up on your New Year's weight loss resolution, keep going and make it to the finish line. The next time you think you can't do it, think again. You can do it and the above tips can help you reach your goal and keep the weight gain at bay. We hope that these weight loss resolution tips will help you to build a foundation for a healthy, happy, and successful new year!