Swap white rice for cauliflower fried “rice” to add extra nutrients and fiber to this simple and delicious meal. This recipe for cauliflower fried rice is packed with a variety of colorful vegetables, fluffy eggs and a splash of soy sauce. It makes enough to serve a family! Enjoy a bowl and share the rest or save the leftovers for later.
Servings: 5 total servings
Per serving: 1 cup = 1 serving
Exchanges per serving = 1 vegetable, ½ protein, ½ fat
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, rinsed (about 24 oz.)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 egg whites
- 1 large egg
- Pinch of salt
- Cooking spray
- ½ small onion, diced fine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup frozen peas and carrots
- 5 scallions, diced, whites and greens separated
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce, or more to taste
- Rinse, then remove the tough stem and core of the cauliflower. Let the remaining cauliflower dry completely.
- Coarsely chop into florets, then place half in a food processor and pulse to create small pieces with the texture of rice or couscous. Don’t overprocess, or it will get mushy. Set aside and repeat with the remaining cauliflower.
- Combine egg and egg whites in a small bowl and beat with a fork. Season with salt and set aside.
- Heat a large pan or wok over medium heat and spray with cooking oil.
- Add the sesame oil and sauté onions, garlic, scallion whites, peas and carrots, about 3-4 minutes, or until soft. Raise the heat to medium-high.
- Add the cauliflower “rice” to the wok or pan with soy sauce. Mix, cover and cook approximately 5-6 minutes stirring frequently, until the cauliflower is slightly crispy on the outside, but tender on the inside.
- Create small divot in vegetables to scramble the eggs. Slowly begin to mix into the rest of stir-fry until fully cooked.
- Remove from heat and mix in scallion greens.
- Enjoy a bowl of cauliflower fried rice!
Edited by Stephanie E - Jenny Craig