Shayla39

Broccoli and Cheese Potato

26 posts in this topic

When I first joined I really liked the Potato it was one of my favorite lunch items. The first time I had it on my menu they said they would get more back in stock the next week. So I just bought something else. Then I was told yesterday they are trying to find someone else to make them? I wish I could find a substitute to buy. Does anyone know of one?

I love the potato and sure hope they get them back in soon

You can easily make your own version. Bake a potato (160 calories) and scoop out the inside, mix with half a cup of the Birds Eye broccoli and cheese lightly sauced after heating it up (1Cup for 60 calories), put it back in the potato and top with the other half a cup. You can pop the whole thing in the oven or micro to get it to the temp you like. Total 220 calories versus JC 210 for their potato.

good idea but have to be careful the potato is smallish, like the JC sized one. When I eat the JC one I always feel like some of the starchy potato part of the inside has been taken out. But who knows.

Did they get rid of the potato or are they just running low at some centers?

I am told that they are coming but they have been out of them for two weeks - will check again when in weigh in tomorrow

They told me at the Center in Cary NC that they would not have any back in stock until they find a new company to make it.

I ate my last potato on Friday.

I've been on JC for at least 5-6 years, off and on, and the only item I purchase from them is the potato. I always said that if JC ever discontinues this item, I'm out of there.

I did ask on the JC FB page and they said it wasn't discontinued but they weren't sure when it was going to be in stock. Nothing about finding a "new company to make it". What was wrong with the OLD company? they were doing a fine job. I never got tired of the potato. And "finding a new company" always seems to be the stock excuse when something disappears. Remember when the turkey dinner vanished for a year or two?

As far as making my "own" version - I'm sure it could be done but I'm a very, very busy person, and I just don't have the time to meal-prep. which of course is why I started JC to begin with, and why I like the potato so much.

This is really patently ridiculous.

It could be that the company that currently makes it does not meet their safety or health guidelines. Or it could be that the manufacturer has decided to stop making it in favor of a more profitable product. Or they are wanting to jack the price up too high that Jenny can't possibly sell it for the price they would have to and still make a profit. I don't think they would ever purposefully get rid of items that are big money makers for them. Why would they. When they stopped selling the stuffed breakfast sandwichs my weekly bill went down about $30. I ordered 7 a week and now make all my own breakfasts. they know that's going to happen. And the new company is planning on putting in quite a few new items in coming months.

1 person likes this

Sorry, that doesn't fly for me. JC is owned by Nestle one of the largest food conglomerates in the world. They have processing plants globally that could easily produce all of the food items while meeting health and nutrition standards...

We hear this all the time it seems "finding a new supplier" etc...

I think there's more to it.

Kyra is right, Nestle does not own JC anymore. They do have all of their foods produced by other companies, they do not make their own. I'm sorry that you feel that way but why would a company remove an item if it is a huge seller? they have to make menu changes to keep up with what sells. And people constantly complain about how they want new foods. Well they have to get rid of old foods to make room for new ones. If the potato has been around for 10 years, perhaps it's time to get rid of the old and bring in something new. I don't know, just saying that I don't think a company would purposefully sabotage itself.

Ok I stand corrected on the ownership issue. However I question the logic that the company has to "get rid of old foods to make way for new ones"? Look, they must have known some time ago that they needed a new supplier for this item. Same thing happened with the turkey dinner if you'll recall. They aren't manufacturing nuclear warheads, it's just a food item for crying out loud. Also, there is stuff on the menu that is total tasteless crap such as the mashed potatoes and beef *gag* that has been available for at least 10 years. It doesn't seem like very good planning to have this kind of supply issue occur but then again, JC hasn't been making great choices lately at least here in my area, my center just cut their Friday hours so now they close at 3 pm. Pretty **** inconvenient if you ask me.

I just noticed that the potato is no longer listed on the lunch items here at the JC website. Hopefully, they just took it down until it is restocked, whenever that is...

wish you could shop in my freezer. I have about 6 in there! LOL

wish you could shop in my freezer. I have about 6 in there! LOL

Dude, I'd pay. $$$

Hi everyone- I was just gleaning and I'm sorry you're so disappointed jurneeka. I would be too if they took the key lime pie away :)

Just FYI- 1st and only time I had one a couple of weeks ago, it had a rock the size of a large bean in it!!! I chomped down and luckily didn't break anything. I brought the box to the center and they gave me a refund. I hope it was an isolated incident for everyone's sake, but this thread is making me wonder if it was a big quality control issue or something. :-/

Oh, wow, k.m.c.! Thank God you didn't break a tooth!!! I used to eat the potato every day- mostly because it was the least expensive item, but I did like it.

That is too weird you mention the rock! My mom found one in her personal pizza a few days ago. We are going to take it back to the center today for a refund. Perhaps they are made by the same supplier and this is why they are looking for a new one?? I don't know but that is just odd that it was a rock. This one is a small gray one. Well, I say small, probably the size of my pinkie finger nail.

Y'all have me scared to eat my food! That's all I need is to bite down on a freakin rock! LOL

Rocks and things can be found in food. Happens more frequently than you'd think.

After I nuke(d) my tater I always smush it up thoroughly and add either some cottage cheese or hummus. So yum.

I was told at my center that it was a quality issue that was being improved upon..but who knows for sure if it will be back. A year or so ago they stopped selling the turkey burger for a few months because it had bones in it.

No one told me that the baked potatoes are discontinued. I just ordered 2 of them. I am from Canada, maybe they are still ok for here. Strange.

ha - maybe I should move to Canada.

JC did tell me on the FB page in response to my post that the tater is coming back, hasn't been discontinued yada yada. They said that about the turkey dinner, which took what, a year and a half? to come back.

I've been trying some of the other lunch items, and most get a big ol' "meh" from me. Except for the shelf-stable Southwestern Chicken, which was truly VILE.

Update -

For me, losing the fajitas along with the potato was the last straw. There are only three entrees I really enjoy on JC - the tater, the fajitas, and the fettucine. Two of them are now gone.

I really did make an honest effort of trying different lunch items, but they didn't appeal to me. They were either meh, or downright nasty to my palate. Really, if I'm going to pay as much per entree item as JC charges, and I want to stay on program, then I sure better like the taste of the food and feel satisfied when I finish it.

Usually I go to my appt on Fridays at 11:30 am, which entails me leaving work, driving through traffic to the next town over etc. Since I'm not interested in buying anything now, doesn't seem to be much point to going other than the accountability factor...so I sent a text to my JCC around 9 am that morning telling her that I was going to do this on my own for now (I had always told them that if the potato ever goes...I'm outie). Now I LIKE my JCC but she texted me back "Thought you still wanted to lose weight though?" That kind of annoyed me, because I'd been able to keep off 100+ pounds on my own, it's just this 10-15 pounds I needed help with. And really I was only coming in for the accountability and the potato LOL.

That text fired me up, this weekend I did some serious meal prep including making my OWN potatoes (found a recipe on 3FC and doctored it up a bit, adding chopped lightly sauteed onion to the potato stuffing along with the broccoli and cheese as well as adding my own seasonings) and portioning them out in Ziploc containers. I've also gotten my scale out, and I'm going to weigh myself on Tuesdays and Fridays first thing in the AM (I might also have my trainer weigh me at the boxing club I belong to). And record everything I eat on MFP, staying below 1400/day.

I food prepped on Saturday and Sunday and started yesterday, I feel great!!! yay!