_AmyW_

Nutrisystem

35 posts in this topic

I had a bad experience with Nutrisystem: I couldn't stomach the beef items, they smelled and also tasted like dog food to me so I couldn't eat them. I called Nutrisystem and said do not send me anymore beef items cause it is just throwing away my money if I can't eat them. They said if we are out of an item we replace it with another and there is no way for us to track your order in the warehouse "to not replace any of your meals with beef" they continued to send me beef items! I threw away food every month. I finally asked myself why am I paying for this food that doesn't taste that good, not to mention working with a company that doesn't care what my situation is regarding this "BEEF"? Also they don't help you transition to regular food that you're going to need to eat for the rest of your life. I will never deal with this company again. So believe me when I tell you...don't do Nutrisystem!

Oh my goodness Sheila that is too bad you had that experience. I have been choosing my own food at Jenny Craig, I don't know why they didn't let you do that.

Also I see on the Jenny Craig forums, they are closing 100 JC centers soon (mine is not one of them thank goodness). They just announced it. The writing is on the wall for JC centers, I think they will move sometime soon to all online.

Also I didn't know about the WalMart Nutri-System sample box, that is great.

I agree...I tried Nutrisystem years ago and it was terrible. I wasted that money because there was little of the food that I liked. So far I haven't found anything on my menu that I haven't liked...of course I am starting day 5 but I haven't even had my favs like the fajitas and macaroni and cheese. I even like the mashed potatoes and chicken. Right now I am off work and when I start back I will have to be careful since I am using my oven more and it makes things better to eat. But for the difference in the cost it is worth it. I don't plan on being on Jenny all my life but I consider it an investment in my health. To bad you couldn't get it paid for by your health insurance. I mean they pay for the lap band and it doesn't work all the time why not these programs. Anyway I feel that it is worth it. I kind of beat around the bush but I hope that it helped.

This is exactly my #1 frustration! If you are considered morbidly obese or even just obese...insurance should help cover these programs in some way. I'm totally stuck because I don't make enough money to afford the program. It would even be a stretch to afford Nutrisystem so I'll be relegated to Lean Cuisine until I get a second job and save for year or longer. In the meantime I've wasted what money I did have on things like raspberry keytones and other pill diets.

I did NS and had some marginal success with it (maybe 16 lbs) which I have kept off. When I had labs checked after being on the plan, my numbers were amazing. I'm insulin resistant and my Hgb A1c was 5.9. However, after about 4 months, I just got tired of the food. I found a small selection of foods that I liked so I got bored quickly. I tried Jenny a LONG time ago and remembered really liking the food. NS was nothing compared to that. I'm on the verge of ordering the program again. . .

My sister did NS recently,like 6 months ago and paid $320.00 for month of food,frozen and shelf stable and ended up quitting.The food was really gross,especially the chicken pot pie.I would think 3 times before going there.Try the diabetic NS sample at Walmart which is $30. I think. Then you will see how you like the food.

I hated nutrisystem.

For those of you who made the statement "I know I won't be on Jenny all my life," I beg to differ! I lost 120 pounds in 2004-2005, and I have maintained 110 of that loss since by EATING THE JENNY WAY. Oh, sure, you aren't buying their food - but you are following the program if you eat the way you did on program. I have come back for a "tune up" because I put on 6 pounds taking oral steroids for pharyngitis I got on a cruise. I have gone on 7 cruises since the loss, and I never gain weight. Why? I eat to feel sated; not to stuff myself. I take the stairs most of the time (not always UP, but always down), and I book my cabin as far from the elevator as I can get it.

The point is, we learn HOW to eat and WHAT to eat. You don't deprive yourself of tasty food to lose or maintain. You change your attitude about eating, both volume and frequency.

Hope that helps.

Best, Jill

2 people like this

Jill,

You are so right! I intend to eat the Jenny way for the rest of my life! We learn portion control and how to make healthy choices...it is so important to not get into the "I've lost the weight and now I can eat like a normal person" mentality,(which normally means eating fast food and big portions.)

Thank you for sharing your successful maintenance tips and congratulations on keeping the weight off!

1 person likes this

I agree, the NS food was blech! I thought that Jenny food was better in those regards. The pizzas in particular! The JC Rising Crust was a favorite...

But I recently looked up http://www.ilovethisdiet.comand it occurred to me that I could eat the frozen meals from the grocery store! Jenny craig used to own Lean Cuisine, so when I tried their frozen stuff, they seemed to be pretty similar in nutrition or taste. So far, so good. And wayyyy tastier than Nutrisystem!

save money on jenny buy doing your own breakfasts (ie) cereal, hard boiled eggs, fruit etc...

and maybe not doing their bars... do yoghurt or hummus or cottage cheese with fruit or veggies.