Basset Lover

Alcohol??

38 posts in this topic

Hi all...just wondering how folks handle alcohol on the program. None, some, special occasions??? I enjoy white wine but not sure how in incorporate it or not into the program.

Thanks!

Lynn

:blink:

1 person likes this

Hi Lynn

Personally, I'm going without alcohol until I reach my goal weight. The one week when I had a couple of drinks I had my lowest WI to date. I just want to lose weight and get healthy more than I want to have a drink.

Blair

Hi Lynn,

I'm a weekend wine lover, and saying no has been the hardest thing during my journey. I still allow myself a splurge for special occasions, but limit my intake to one glass (instead of two or three :rolleyes: ). Try counteracting the splurge with some extra exercise, and drink lots of water.

1 person likes this

I had a hard time this past weekend with alcohol. I have WI in tonight so I am very scared! I did try and counteract this by drinking a lot of water and working out the days I had a few beverages (and didn't eat my snack). I need to do better though. I am a very social person and alcohol is almost always involved. Ideally, I'd like to stick to no more than 2 Michelob Ultra bottles once a week tops.

1 person likes this

Thanks for the replies. I'm a wine lover and I've tried going to wine spritzers.....boy not the same! But it's the socializing thing for me too. This helps to hear how others are handling it too!

Thanks again-

Thanks for the replies. I'm a wine lover and I've tried going to wine spritzers.....boy not the same! But it's the socializing thing for me too. This helps to hear how others are handling it too!

Thanks again-

Yes, I agree - wine spritzers are sacrilege to a wine lover :blink:

This is a very interesting discussion as I love going out for drinks with friends. What I have substituting drinking when I go out dancing is either water or diet coke. The rewarding thing? I'm "all there" and when I weigh in, I have added several hours of cardio workout to my week.

When/if I have one or two drinks, I exercise an extra hour that week.

My consultant suggested using my weekly 250-calorie splurge for wine if I wanted to have a drink. I have no idea how many calories are in a glass of red wine, but I usually have 1 glass and call that my splurge.

I learned the hard way that it doesn't take nearly as much to get drunk when you're loosing weight than it did before. (Hangover city the next day so be careful.) My JCC suggested mojitos made without sugar for an upcoming vaca, and the tip of using diet soda for rum and cokes is good too.

Yep I love rum and diet coke, now some places cell zero calorie margarita mixes as well. Sometimes I love I nice Blue Moon too or Hefwizin. But I know I need to wait for special occasions.

I am new to Jenny Craig but I will be drinking. (a beer or two) :D

There are some great crystal light solutions to keep the calories down. I used my weekly splurge to enjoy crystal light margarittas and I usually use 1/2 a shot in each drink if it is a long night and think it is likely i will have more than 1 and have a BIG glass of icewater with lemon in between rounds.

I have done the same with a glass of wine or champagne and follow up with a BIG glass of iced lemon water.

I am new to Jenny Craig but I will be drinking. (a beer or two) :D

Welcome to JC and the boards!

Yes, there are light beers and you can have the OCCASIONAL one but understand that if you aren't losing at the rate you want, well, you might need to cut out something even - heaven forbid - the beer until you get to goal and then you have to CAREFULLY work them in. I'm just sayin' :)

My JCC suggested "sandwiching" start with non alcohol drink like diet coke, then have diet coke and vodka or whatever your drink of choice, back to non alcohol drink, then one more alcohol drink. And don't forget lots of water and exercise. I have found this to work best for me! :D

My JCC suggested for the occasional glass (5oz) of wine, that I should cut out 2 servings of fat for the day. Only did it once and actually found the wine didn't taste as good as it used to! Now I have no problem watching hubby have a nightly glass of wine before dinner.

1 person likes this

All great stuff everyone!! Thank you!!!

I have decided not to drink until I lose my first 25 pounds. It's been tough but like someone said I like being "all there" when I go out. PLUS---I have been sleeping through the night along with no night sweats or hot flashes any longer. That's a huge bonus!!! Now I have, at the max, two NA Beers or vsb's (virgin skinny ******). VSB's are club soda, lime and a splash of cranberry juice. Looks like the real deal and tastes great! I also found "mocktails" at Sam's club. Its crystal light flavored like, Mojitos, appletini's and margarita's. Few slices of lime, slice of apple and it's a great substitute with 5 calories/serving. And a little salt on the rim, with a lime and it tastes like the real deal too!!! :wub:

I'm planning to avoid drinking at all during the week, and subbing in my beloved cava for the JC desserts, which I don't much care for anyway.

I seem to do ok if I drink vodka and club soda or vodka and diet 7up but when I start with the white wine or light beer all I can think about is cheese and crackers and bread and salami and olives, and roasted peppers and, and, and... so I'm sticking to the vodka drinks.

2 people like this

I agree with the comment about vodka -it's "clean"' triple filtered, clear liquid, the "no hang-over alcohol". I have it on Saturday nights with diet Pepsi. Two drinks (2oz) is not a big calorie impact and I'm feeling it! I usually forgo some food on the plan for this but I have not seen a negative impact at all.

On the other hand...I've cooked this "free" veggie dish (Swiss chard, diced tomatoes, etc) and each time I gain weight the next day. So that's out and the vodka stays!

I agree with the comment about vodka -it's "clean"' triple filtered, clear liquid, the "no hang-over alcohol". I have it on Saturday nights with diet Pepsi. Two drinks (2oz) is not a big calorie impact and I'm feeling it! I usually forgo some food on the plan for this but I have not seen a negative impact at all.

On the other hand...I've cooked this "free" veggie dish (Swiss chard, diced tomatoes, etc) and each time I gain weight the next day. So that's out and the vodka stays!

I hate when that happens. LOL

I am going to only have it for a special occasion. The weigh in isn't as positive for me when I drink. Plus I can't open a good bottle of wine and not finish it, need to explain: my husband and I drink it together, I'm not polishing it off by myself!

I loved drinking beer and spicy Ceasar's in the past and don't care much for the sweet stuff. Probably was part of my weight gain over the years. When I committed to JC, I went to a non-alcoholic beer, which did not taste very good. Than I did not have anything for about 2 weeks, but than life happened and that includes an alcoholic beverage sometimes. If I drink a light beer or two, I am limited to maybe 1 lb a week loss. My favorite now is vodka/diet pepsi/coke and sometimes I add some water as I still find the diet sodas too sweet. If you look at my signature, last week's party with too many Ceasar's was a big no no, and I learned my lesson. Most of the times a drink will happen in the weekend, I will skip my anytime bar and drink more water as well. (and btw, you don't need much to feel it!)

I'm mostly avoiding alcohol until a few more months in, if I have to indulge I will probably just have one drink and it would be like a vodka/diet coke, something as low-cal as I can muster :)

yes it's better to eliminate alcohol during active weight loss.