Image by Olivia Frescura
Top Ten Tips from Successful Weight Maintainers
1. Continue to control portions and calories – Maintainers average 1400-1800 calories a day.
2. Moderate fat intake – Maintainers level out at about 24% fat calories a day.
3. Eat breakfast daily - 78% of Maintainers never miss a morning meal.
4. Weigh frequently - 44% of Maintainers weigh daily.
5. Course correct – Maintainers reduce food intake and increase activity for minor “blips” on the scale.
6. Keep consistent – Maintainers eat the same on weekdays, weekends, even holidays.
7. Move more than before – Maintainers walk, strength train and enjoy other activities one hour a day.
Image by Simply Shellie
8. Limit dining – Maintainers eat out less than three times a week and indulge fast foods just once a week.
9. Reduce TV time to no more than 10 hours a week – Maintainers are busy doing other things.
10. Always make a plan A… AND a plan B, for when things don’t go as you’d expect.
What Else Works for Keeping It Off?
Experts also say that maintaining a network of support, practicing positive ways for managing stress and focusing on a deeper motivation for making healthy choices versus the short-term benefits of weight loss all contribute to successful weight maintenance.
2 Obes Rev. 2005 vol.6:67–85.
3 Am J Clin Nutr.2005; vol. 82: 1222S-225S.