11 replies to this topic

#1 GwenJ

GwenJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:45 AM

Someone gave my usual WI time away to another client so I couldn't see my JCC this week.  Pretty bummed about that.  It's the only time that works for me to be able to drive the hour there, consult, then back and have time to get to my training.  I am just feeling really bummed about that this week.  I'm eating on plan but my weight hasn't gone anywhere.  I'm hoping the "woosh" fairy shows up soon.  It's a little annoying when you eat on plan and exercise every day yet get nowhere.  My body feels a little sluggish at times too.  I am thinking of going to see a nutritionist to have them evaluate what I eat.  To make sure I'm getting enough iron, protein, etc.  I'm doing a lot of MOMO and with running every day, I just want to make sure I'm eating what I need to be eating. 

I belong to some running forums and it's funny has drastic the food recommendations are.  eat plenty of carbs, eat those potatoes, no don't eat carbs, no gluten, do not eat dairy, yes eat dairy, go vegetarian, get your meat servings, do the 21 day fix, 17 day diet, sugar load, don't eat sugars, GAH!  it's enough to make a person crazy.  I know certain activities can cause you to have different dietary requirements so I want to make sure now that Im increasing my distances that I'm getting proper nutrition for what I need.  This morning I did 5.25 miles and I'm pooped.  I dragged on Monday to the point that I quit.  This morning I dragged but kept with it and refused to quit.  Longest hour of my life.  It was 60 degrees and breezy so it wasn't heat dragging me down.  It's almost 3 PM and I'm ready for a nap.  I take a prenatal as per recommended by my OB in addition to Fish Oil that was recommended by my stylist.  She said I'm losing a lot of hair and need to supplement it otherwise I'm going to be thinned to nothing soon. 

I don't know if this post has a purpose.  I guess to give an update?  I know I haven't been posting too much as of late.  Been a little bummed.  On the up side, hubby made fire roasted salsa on the grill and it's AMAZING.  I could eat bowls of this every day.  I highly recommend it to everyone.  It's a free food that makes you feel like you are eating a meal in itself.

zfEEm6.png 

Year 1 total loss: 127 lbs

Halloween Challenge

Goal: 16lbs

W1: -3.4 lbs

W2: -3.4 lbs

W3: -1.4 lbs

W4: -2.6 lbs

Total -10.8 lbs

#2 Steph14

Steph14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:49 PM

Awe Gwen hang in there.  You and your posts have been so motivating for me.  Im sorry you are feeling down.  I am a routine person too, so switching up the routine can throw things off.  But just think that you will have more time to lose before next week's weigh in.  It sounds like a good idea to go see an nutritionist.  Everyone out there has an opinion on what to and what not to eat, I agree it is enough to drive a person mad!  Anyway, I just wanted to say hang in there.  :)

weight.png

SW: 365

JC SW: 340

CW: 307.2

GW: 155

Summer Slim Down Challenge Goal--- lose 20 pounds

Wk 1: -2.0  (338.0)

Wk 2: -3.0  (335.0)

Wk 3: -4.4  (330.6)

Wk 4: +.04  (331.0)

Wk 5: -3.0   (328.0)

Wk 6: -3.2   (324.8)

Wk 7: -2.8   (322.0) 

CHALLENGE TOTAL =  -18.0

Halloween Challenge Goal--- lose 22.1 pounds and be under 300!

Wk 8: -1.0   (321.0)

Wk 9: -1.2   (319.8)

Wk 10: -.2   (319.6)

Wk 11: -4.0  (315.6)

Wk 12: -2.4 (313.2)

Wk 13: -3.4 (309.8)

Wk 14:  -.4  (309.4)

Wk 15:  -2.2 (307.2)

Wk 16:

CHALLENGE TOTAL = -14.8

#3 MamaOfTwins

MamaOfTwins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:58 PM

Gwen- I don't know if your JCC does this, but mine will schedule me in weeks ahead of time just to make sure I get the same appointment time. I don't even ask her to do this, but she does.

I have also lost A LOT of hair. To the point where it is hundreds a day. I can tell it is thinner and even had the hubs trim the bottom of my hair because it was getting thin. I wonder if I need to include fish oil too.

W-5'7" @ 170.2lbs

CW-            142.2lbs

GW-            130lbs

#4 SonyaCele

SonyaCele

Sonya

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:34 PM

Gwen, you are amazing!  5.25 miles?   I remember last year when you first started JC and  you posted that you lost balance and fell off the exercise ball and sat there on the floor crying cause you were so upset.    Did you ever think you'd be where you are now physically?    You are so impressive, and so healthy and you have so much endurance!    You're journey has been so encouraging to watch.  you gotta be feeling awesome!  thanks for sharing so much with us.

Thats a good idea going to a nutritionist.  I know i have had to change up my macros  depending on what kinda exercise i'm doing.   I did add carbs when i was running a lot, and then when i blew up my knee and started lifting i went heavier on the protein and less on the carbs.    I just made tiny changes to my diet each week, nothing drastic and i'd see how it would go for a couple weeks and if it wasn't working i'd switch back for a few weeks and try something else.    Just make slow changes.    I read somewhere that we should eat 100-200 calories extra per hour of jogging, so its not that much extra.    but glad you are researching the right fuel for your body.  Keep up the good work!!! you are amazing!!!

When you look in the mirror and see no change, and still keep faith, knowing that in time you will get there if you stay focused and on track, that's the difference between those who succeed and those who fail.

5'4", 46 years old, start date 7/18/2012 236.4 lbs, i work out a lot.

10/19/14  week 1 - in process

weight.png

#5 trustnfaith

trustnfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

Gwen,

I am so sorry that your weigh-in was mis-scheduled and about your frustration with the lack of weight loss, and the abundance of hair loss. I can relate!!!! I too am losing hair and had zero movement on the scale this week while I followed the JC program to the letter. If only our hair could make a deal with our unwanted poundage. I think your nutritionist idea is a sound one.

My JC consultant suggested that I try a probiotic, which I started this week. I'll see if that works. I am definitely going for the Fish oil!

I can also relate to the tiredness which I notice increases dependent on the intensity of my workout. I am chalking that up to being out of shape (I just started back exercising 2 weeks ago).

Hang in there! I know I am but not by my hair:>

Halloween Challenge — lose 12 pounds!

Sep 08  -1.4

Sep 15  -2.2

Sep 22  -3.2

Sep 29  -0.8

Oct 06   -1.0

Oct 13   -1.8

Oct 20   -2.8

Total Loss 13.2   :D Goal Reached!!!!

DiJhm7.png

#6 GwenJ

GwenJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:05 PM

I think my biggest scare is thinking "oh I can have a little extra of this, I have time to make it up".  I've been good so far and this weekend I am having two meals out but I am also doing an obstacle course team run on Saturday so that'll be ok.

My JCC does schedule out but I wasn't sure if I could do 4 or 4:20 so I said lets wait until next week and see.  That was like 3 weeks ago.  Then the following week I came and both spots were filled already.  She said she always saves the 4:00 for me but someone else booked the apt for her.  So I can't go until next THursday. THen I'm out of town on vacation for 5 days so I miss another WI.  It's just pushing me out of my comfort zone.  LOL

Sonya I can't believe you remember that!  I just went to the chiro the other day and he brought that up.  THat is too funny.  :)  Yes, a year ago I had just rolled my ankle and was laying on the ground crying because I couldn't walk anymore.  A 5K felt so foreign to me.  It wasn't until Feb when I started going ot the gym that I really got the confidence to do it and put myself out there.  I really picked an awesome gym.  We are like a family with each other.  Not a random big box place.  This is owned by a woman that has 4 personal trainers on staff and they do classes and training.  I love it, could not ask for a better place to go.  The owner sent me a bracelet that says Believe on it with a note telling me how proud of me she was and how she believes in me and my successes.  I am giong to wear it to the 6K run next month as my inspiration.  :)

zfEEm6.png 

Halloween Challenge

Total -10.8 lbs

#7 GwenJ

GwenJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:08 PM

regarding the hair, I'm going to take this for a few months and see what it does.  Because I have to do SOMETHING.  I had thin hair to begin with.  Right now when I get ready in the morning I"m pulling out a ton in the shower.  Then as I'm blow drying a bunch comes out.  Then as I'm styling I have to run my hands through the bottom of it to pull out the hand of hair.  I don't know how any is left in my head! 

zfEEm6.png 

Halloween Challenge

Total -10.8 lbs

#8 dijarm

dijarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:48 AM

all have to say is when I had to change JCC it was the best thing that happened to me. I liked my original, we got on well but, when I had to see someone new because of a holiday the new gal was far better and more informative and I learned a lot more on how to do things on my own. I am very grateful to her and glad the changed happened. I run too and find on the days I do a long run I tend to be a little hungrier. I usually eat an extra snack or protein. As for nutrition, JC is set up to give you the appropriate serving from each food group. My doctor always told me if I followed the Canada food guide I would get everything I need. If you look at the JC guide you will see it essentially the same as the food guide, Canadian or American. The only real difference is that JC calls the serving "exchanges" . Stay away from fads because that is all they are. As for your hair issue....how old are you? Is it possible to be peri or pre menopausal?

Started March 10, 2011
height-5'7
sw-195
1st goal-170
2nd goal-150 Aug. 2011 and still lost more!
maintenance weight-145

3.5 YEARS OF MAINTENANCE!! WHOOHOO!

http://i1090.photobu...an/Untitled.jpg[/img]P1020021.jpg

#9 GwenJ

GwenJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:03 PM

I'm doing mostly MOMO now and I'm sorta winging it with some of my meals.  You know, ok Oatmeal for breakfast with fruit.  Then lunch is a salad with a protein.  Try to throw in black beans for a starch with it.  etc etc.  With running every day plus personal training and classes, I want to make sure I'm not calorie starving myself either.  I've heard that I need to have more proteins and less carbs but then I hear I need more carbs after the longer runs.  So it's just very confusing.  I want to still be losing weight but I don't know what I should eat to give myself proper fuel to run then for recovery.  And I want to do it the healthy way.  Not like some of them do with shakes and juices and misc products.  Don't get me wrong, I use Gatorade chews before races but that's it.  I'm not buying into fads or Shakeology or any of that stuff.  I'm not buying products to be healthy. I'll buy real food.  But there are so few resources out there about that.  It's all wrapped up in fad diets.  Not that they are wrong to do what they do but they are not in weight loss mode.  they are in better physical shape and running just to run.  Not to drop the lbs. 

I do get hungry on the day after a long run.  The other day I did 11 miles (split up into a 7 mile and a 4 mile) and the next day I ate everything in sight.  I wanted to stick with my JC plan but I just was NOT feeling full at any point in time.  I kept it to healthy foods but it was like my body just couldn't ever get enough.  And it's not like it was boredom hunger either.  I'd like to sit down with someone and them tell me "ok for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, etc you need to eat this to be able to keep up with your activities."  I'm burning 1,000 to 1,500 calories per day some days just in exercise.  And some days I feel like I don't have enough energy to tie my shoes.  So I need to figure out what to do to combat that.

zfEEm6.png 

Halloween Challenge

Total -10.8 lbs

#10 dijarm

dijarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:37 AM

The general rule is if your doing a 5km run you shouldn't need to add more calories. 5km is typically a 30 minute work out which every person should being doing a minimum amount of on a daily basis. If you are doing a 10km run or more you should eat extra carbs the night before your run to give you fuel and eat extra protein after your run to help repair your muscle after your run. Extra protein could be as simple as a serving of cottage cheese, protein shake or bar or some greek yogurt. I like to have a pasta meal the night before my big run as it's easy to add a little extra carb that way by a slightly larger serving. As I mentioned before sometimes my body craves more food on days I run. So, I listen to my body and may have an extra snacks like an addition serving of fruit and/or some cheese and crackers. I know some runners enjoy a handful of nuts or nut mix with fruit. I get magazines from the "running room" and I find their articles and recipes helpful.

Started March 10, 2011
height-5'7
sw-195
1st goal-170
2nd goal-150 Aug. 2011 and still lost more!
maintenance weight-145

3.5 YEARS OF MAINTENANCE!! WHOOHOO!

http://i1090.photobu...an/Untitled.jpg[/img]P1020021.jpg

#11 GwenJ

GwenJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:48 AM

Thanks Dijarm!  Right now I typically go for an hour a day in some kind of work out.  Yesterday I had 45 min walk/jog in the AM then 45 min of cardio/abs class in the evening.  Thursdays are my only rest from running since I have personal training in the evening.  I can't do both. My trainer kicks my butt too much to also get up and run in the AM.  I'm doing the C210K app which has me at about an hour every morning.  Sometimes I walk with the hubs at night too.  I tried to get into the habit of having a cheese stick after my runs and workouts but just fell out of that habit.  I have added .5 oz of raw almonds to my day to get a healthy fat in there.  It's just a big balancing act.  And I'm trying to make sure I'm doing it all the healthy natural way, it's that major learning curve.  :)

zfEEm6.png 

Halloween Challenge

Total -10.8 lbs

#12 FaizaYagi

FaizaYagi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:12 AM

I just want to say again how awesome you are! I miss the routines of my meals, my exercise. I can't wait to get back in the swing of things again on a daily basis. I love reading everything you're doing and I imagine myself restarting C25K with my double stroller ;)

Total Loss 85.2 Prior to pregnancy in 2013

My Weight Loss/Life Journey Blog: http://jessicafaiza.blogspot.com

Start weight Sept. 2012: 271.4 lbs

Weight prior to pregnancy 2014: 187.2

Jessica "Faiza" Yagi

1157666_10101584879974698_870074806_n.jp

1504087_10101458953926508_1656941785_n.j

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users