• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Joules

Joules

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:44 AM

I went to my first JC appointment June 21 and started the program on June 23 as I had a work picnic that weekend. My beginning weight was 286.8 and I as of yesterday (August 2) I am down to 255. That is an almost 32 lb weight loss on the 1500 cal plan. My weekly weigh-ins were -12, -4, -5, - 2, -4, -4.

At my first initial visit, I told them my goal weight was 220 because that was the weight I was at when I go married. It was a sentimental number as my anniversary was coming up and that probably had a huge factor on me picking that number.

After thinking about it for a week, I knew that was not the goal number I really wanted and if I was going to do this program then I needed to be all in and reach the healthy number of 150 for my height of 5'5". I told them this, but my JCC suggested that since that goal would require a large amount of weight to lose that we should aim for my first number as my goal and then work towards my second.

Now, I am being told that once I reach 251 (which will probably be next week or the week after) that their program will drop me down to 1200 calories due to the goal weight of 220.

This is raising alarm bells in my head as I do not feel that I have leveled off to a healthy rate of weight loss and restricting my calories more is counter intuitive to me as I am progressing at an incredibly fast rate right now.

Everyone at the center keeps telling me that it is OK that I am losing so much weight and that I should be happy about it, but I want to be healthy and how much I am losing seems to be on the unhealthy side.

"Action is the foundational key to all success." - Pablo Picasso

Halloween Challenge - Meet my JC Goal

Sep 06 - 19lbs to goal

Sep 13 - 16lbs to goal

Sep 20 - 14lbs to goal

Sep 27 - 10lbs to goal

Oct 04 - 8lbs to goal

56216714.png
            Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

20140628_095230.jpg   IMAG0120.jpg

June 28, 2014                                                               August 9, 2014

#2 loosh

loosh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:30 AM

I would consult with your Dr and see what he/she says about it.  Your concern sounds valid to me.

#3 khemistrygirl

khemistrygirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:11 AM

Hi there,

I started at 242 with a goal of 142.  I'm currently on 1500 cals and my JC said we wouldn't switch to 1200 until 206.  If you are happy with your losses, this may be a case of "thanks for the advice."  In other words, I would take their 1200 plan and try it, but be flexible about adding an extra fruit or fat to your days if you feel very hungry. I have noticed many days on 1500 lately where I don't "need" that extra fat.  Other days, I am eating it and every free or limited free I can get my hands on.  At the end of the week, my average cal (including all extras) is 1400.  This is a sustainable level for me.  I'm not sure what I will do when dropped to 1200.  I think I may ignore it as long as I'm seeing 2-3 lbs a week!  I know there comes a "tipping point" around 150-175 where my tosses will slow to 0.5 or less if I'm not exercising.  At this point I will need to eat less (1200 cals) or move more.

#4 FaizaYagi

FaizaYagi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:29 PM

I started the program at 1200 calories when I weighed around 271 (5'3'' tall). I had losses similar to your in my first 3 months and this was with little to no exercise. As time went on the losses slowed down. Definitely check with your general doctor though

Total Loss 85.2 Prior to pregnancy in 2013

My Weight Loss/Life Journey Blog: http://jessicafaiza.blogspot.com

Start weight Sept. 2012: 271.4 lbs

Weight prior to pregnancy 2014: 187.2

Jessica "Faiza" Yagi

1157666_10101584879974698_870074806_n.jp

1504087_10101458953926508_1656941785_n.j

#5 MamaOfTwins

MamaOfTwins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:55 PM

Yes, I would consult your doctor and bring up your concerns with your JCC. You were close to 300lbs when you started and have more to lose then someone starting out at half your weight. If you look at my weigh-ins my first week was over 6lbs and I had weeks at 2lbs or even 2.6lbs at the beginning and I started my journey at 170lbs. We both lost about the same percentage for the first week. I think if you want to slow the weight loss maybe asking your JCC to alter your plan.

W-5'7" @ 170.2lbs

CW-            142.2lbs

GW-            130lbs

#6 a_red_dress

a_red_dress

Sheila

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:41 PM

Joules

Hi...well I first wanna say that JC has guidelines that they follow when giving advice as to what calorie level one should be at however with that being said it is ultimately your body and so if you feel you wanna stay at 1500 calories it's quite simple to just add the extra milk and fruit and healthy fat serving to your 1200 calorie plan and BAM your at 1500.  The 1200 is exactly the same as the 1500 except for the additional servings I've just mentioned.  So good luck to you, you're definately on a roll.  However too much too fast isn't healthy cause you don't wanna lose muscle mass just fat, but at a reasonable pace.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 SonyaCele

SonyaCele

Sonya

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:55 AM

i wouldn't even worry, your weight loss will slow down.  remember you can lose 1% of your weight a week safely, so thats around 2-3 pounds a week.  Your first week loss of 12 pounds doesn't count, its mostly water etc.     So the next few weeks you are losing a little more than 1%, but not that much more.   Take advantage of these big losses, when you have them.  If you are eating everything on your JC menu, you are getting all your nutrition.    I lost big #'s the first few months, 2 and 3 and 4 pounds a week, eventually your weeks will be less more like 1-2 pounds or maybe even some gains.     

You haven't' been dieting long enough to really have a good solid weekly average, the first month or even two or three months your body is just getting into the swing of things.   

When you look in the mirror and see no change, and still keep faith, knowing that in time you will get there if you stay focused and on track, that's the difference between those who succeed and those who fail.

5'4", 46 years old, start date 7/18/2012 236.4 lbs, i work out a lot.

10/19/14  week 1 - in process

weight.png

#8 MindyG

MindyG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:58 AM

Bottom line is that YOU should do what makes you feel comfortable regardless of what you are being told.  For example, everything you read says you should have no more than 2,300 mg of sodium per day and while JC agrees, they say to count their food only. Well I count it for EVERYTHING I eat in a day (why would I only count JC food, should be all food intake).  I decided when to drop my calories and by how many and my counselor has been supportive of all of my decisions and my weight loss has been great (80 pounds in 7 months).  Good luck!

#9 Joules

Joules

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:40 PM

UPDATE:

I did consult with my physician and was recommended to stay at my current caloric level until I plateau. I am becoming more comfortable with my weight-loss as it has gradually slowed to more of a 3-ish lb/week pace. As long as I am continuing to make steady progress that is closer to a more normal rate, I am becoming more pleased with the plan I am on especially considering that I have been on less than 3 months and have lost nearly 50 lbs.

"Action is the foundational key to all success." - Pablo Picasso

Halloween Challenge - Meet my JC Goal

Sep 06 - 19lbs to goal

Sep 13 - 16lbs to goal

Sep 20 - 14lbs to goal

Sep 27 - 10lbs to goal

Oct 04 - 8lbs to goal

56216714.png
            Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

20140628_095230.jpg   IMAG0120.jpg

June 28, 2014                                                               August 9, 2014

#10 trustnfaith

trustnfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:05 PM

Hi Joules — I'm glad everything worked out for you. Good job being an advocate for yourself and seeking your physician's advice. Congrats on taking care of yourself and for your huge success with weight loss.

Halloween Challenge — lose 12 pounds!

Sep 08  -1.4

Sep 15  -2.2

Sep 22  -3.2

Sep 29  -0.8

Oct 06   -1.0

Oct 13   -1.8

Oct 20   -2.8

Total Loss 13.2   :D Goal Reached!!!!

DiJhm7.png

#11 TXBuckeye

TXBuckeye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:55 PM

I've gotten similarly bad advice from a consultant. I have been losing 1.5-2 lb/week and she was actually arguing with me that I had to drop my calories because that's what the computer said.

Seems like there is a training gap or a program gap that Jenny Craig needs to close.  They should be checking to see if activity levels have changed (it does change the recommended calorie level) and urging people who lose weight too fast to consult their doctors. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: weight, loss rate, program, too fast

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users