4 replies to this topic

#1 JTriptow

JTriptow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:36 AM

Hello everyone. I am a former JC success, I lost 90 lbs. about 7 years ago (never quite making it to my goal weight, but got VERY close). Then I went off the rails and gained 140 lbs back. I was miserable, depressed, and becoming increasingly immobile. At 300 lbs., my physician highly recommended I look into lap band surgery. I did, and I went for it. I lost almost 90 lbs. in the year and a half post-surgery, but in the last 2 years I have put back on 30. I am almost 240 lbs. and nearly back to where I originally started with JC 7/8 years ago.

I am considering coming back. I have a few concerns, though. First, the processed foods can be a bit off putting for me. I prefer real, natural, organic foods... and yet I still find myself in the fast food drive-through lane more often than not. I am a complete contradiction. I guess I could get past the processed food part. My second concern is how well Jenny foods might do with a lap band. Are there any members here in that boat? Anyone willing to share their experiences? Finally, I am worried this is yet another band-aid and I am STILL going to gain again when I come off the plan. How do the long term losers keep it off? That is a serious mystery to me, and I'm scared that if I have not learned this by now (I'm 40), that I am doomed to roller coaster my life away.

Any support, wisdom, and experience welcome.

Thanks,
Jennifer
Jennifer
--------------------
SW: 242.6 (7/26/14)
LOSS: 24.4
CW: 218.2
GW: 150
--------------------
MILESTONE GOALS:
- LOSE 25 lbs.
- ONEDERLAND (-42.7 lbs.)
- HALFWAY (-46.3 lbs.)
- LOSE 50 lbs.
- LOSE 75 lbs.
- GOAL WEIGHT 150 lbs.
- ULTIMATE GOAL to fit into size 8 & be fit and toned!

"Arise! Awake! and stop not until the goal is reached." -Swami Vivekananda

29116927.png

#2 JC Dietitian 10

JC Dietitian 10

• Administrators
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:02 PM

Hi Jennifer,

Wow! Congratulations on your weight loss success with both Jenny Craig and the lap band. The Jenny Craig Program helped you lose weight in the past, and we would love to help you again.  You’re scared, and we get that.  Maintaining weight loss doesn’t have to be a mystery.  Let me address your initial concerns first…  A lot of people have negative connotations about packaged foods, but the reality is that they are a very powerful weight loss and weight management (preventing weight regain) tool.  For example, portion-controlled foods reduce your risk of overeating—they have a built in “start” and “stop” feature.  They let you indulge in healthier, lower-calorie versions of many of your favorite foods.  And, the Jenny Craig menu can reduce the stress of trying to decide what to eat, and empower you to have control over your eating behaviors again.  In addition to these benefits, you can utilize organic fruits, vegetables and dairy products on your menu plan if you choose.  Non-starchy vegetables are Free Foods and can be added to your heart’s content!  Many members who have had the lap band have had success on the Jenny Craig Program.  It will be important that you talk with your consultant about any limitations you have, so that the right foods are selected for you.  However, given your time out from surgery and ability to eat drive-thru food, you may not have any problems with the Jenny Craig offerings.

Jenny Craig is designed to not be just another diet where you gain the weight back after leaving the program.  It’s a comprehensive program that is designed to give you the tools, strategies and practice to change your behaviors (eating, activity, stress management, self-care, etc). While on the program and meeting with your consultant each week, we encourage you to practice eating meals on your own, planning with your consultant for special occasions and restaurant meals, and building more activity/exercise into your day.  Use the Jenny’s Cuisine meals as a guide for portion control and learn about food exchanges to manage portions when eating on your own.  Once you feel comfortable, we also encourage you to plan and eat full days on your own—well in advance of reaching your goal.  This way you have the practice and confidence to plan and eat your own foods in the maintenance phase of the program and beyond.  Activity is equally important for keeping the weight off, so your consultant will encourage you to build your activity level, add resistance training, etc. throughout your weight loss journey so you’re in a good place for maintenance (weight regain prevention).

I hope this helps.  If you want to get started, you have a lot of options—visit a local center, give us a call or have us call you.  Let me know what you decide.  :)

All the best, Molly

#3 JTriptow

JTriptow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:20 AM

Thank you so much for your reply.  Everything you have said makes sense and I am more and more sure I will revisit Jenny.  Unfortunately, I will be traveling all of next week so this would be a bad time to start, but I think upon my return I should jump back in.

I would still be interested in hearing from other members who have had WLS/Lap Band and how Jenny has worked for them.  Anyone?

Thanks,

Jennifer

Jennifer
--------------------
SW: 242.6 (7/26/14)
LOSS: 24.4
CW: 218.2
GW: 150
--------------------
MILESTONE GOALS:
- LOSE 25 lbs.
- ONEDERLAND (-42.7 lbs.)
- HALFWAY (-46.3 lbs.)
- LOSE 50 lbs.
- LOSE 75 lbs.
- GOAL WEIGHT 150 lbs.
- ULTIMATE GOAL to fit into size 8 & be fit and toned!

"Arise! Awake! and stop not until the goal is reached." -Swami Vivekananda

29116927.png

#4 Gerbil

Gerbil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:20 AM

Hi Jennifer,

Welcome! I don't have experience with weight loss surgery but I share both your commitment to whole natural foods and your tendency to find myself frazzled and rushed and stopping for a cheeseburger. For Jenny Craig to work for me, I've made some tweaks so that I'm still getting a lot of whole foods, and the JC food is replacing the fast food and not my own cooking!

Here are some things I do:

1) I do the 5/2 plan. Instead of doing 2 complete days of MOMO, I cook when I have the time to choose carefully and prepare something that fits with the exchanges. If I have an easy week and have time to cook dinner 3 nights in a row that's great. If I have time to make a pot of soup that fits the exchanges, I might take that to work for lunch several times. On the other hand, if I'm rushed or frazzled I know that I've got some JC food in the fridge that can be on the table in 5 minutes gives me the willpower to wait until I get home. I'm a teacher, and the parent of a kid in school and I can pretty much guarantee that I'll eat 100% JC food the first month of school, but it will be replacing ordering out or fast food because that's a crazy time.

2) I don't eat either the anytime bars or the desserts. I feel as though these are 2 easy places to substitute whole foods. So I have Fat free Greek yogurt every a.m., and I try to have fresh fruit before bed (sometimes I have one of those Popsicles that is largely fruit instead). Since my dessert is fat free I add a serving of nuts or another healthy fat earlier in the day.

3) I'm conscious about what I add with my "grocery foods" it's easy to add even more processed foods, be it fat free cool whip or sugar free jello, or skinny cow or sugar free pancake syrup. I try not to eat those things but instead to have extra fruit or a salad dressing made with whole ingredients.

#5 JWinATL

JWinATL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:53 AM

Hi, Jennifer!  I lost 120 pounds on Jenny Craig in 2004-2005.  I have managed my weight loss for over 10 years and maintained the loss of 110 of it.  When I say "managed," that means when I see 5-6 pounds creep back on (which is normal, especially for someone 67 years old!), I come back for what I call a "tune up."  You see, I eat the Jenny way 99% of the time.  I do have planned splurges, and I travel all the time, so minimal gains are normal.

Nothing is perfect, but what I learned at Jenny Craig are: (a) portion control - I no longer eat huge amounts of something because it tastes good.  Rather, I eat to sate my craving;  (B) eating small snacks between meals for blood sugar - I make sure I have fruit or yogurt between meals, even when I am not hungry.  Your blood sugar can motivate you to eating carb-laden, instant gratification treats; whereas, if you anticipate needing a boost by eating that fruit or yogurt, you are less tempted by the crackers, cookies, and cake; © if I exercise regularly, I feel better about myself, I boost my metabolism, and my cardiologist is a happy camper.

I hope I helped you see that weight management is a lifetime commitment.  I lost huge amounts of weight on Nutrisystem, Quick Weight Loss, Weight Watchers, South Beach, and by using pharmaceuticals.  They all helped me lose; but none of them taught me the lessons I learned on Jenny Craig.  I am back for yet another tune up.  I average 1 about every 18 months.  I want to lose 12 pounds to get down to my 120 pound loss level.  I hope you join me.

Best, Jill

Started 1/5/04 - weighed 282.8
5/24/04 - 216.2 HALFWAY!
5/21/05 - 164.6

Fresh Start 9/6/2010 - 205.8 Goal: 170 (being realistic)
April 4, 2011 - 170 GOAL!!!!!

Posted Image January, 2004
Posted Image March, 2011

Cruise - December, 2011

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users