3 replies to this topic

#1 Gerbil

Gerbil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:07 PM

I told my JCC I had the following goals this week.

1) Walk everywhere I go that's under 2 miles, and use a pedometer to see how much that is in a day.  

2) Go to the pool near my new work and try it out.

But I've run into 2 problems.

1) The pedometer I downloaded on my cell phone keeps giving me weird numbers that make no sense to me.  (e.g. i walked my dog in the park.  We weren't gone long, but the pedometer said something like 2 steps.  Then I went to the grocery store, and the pedometer said 82,562 steps or something.  Neither of these could possibly be correct.) 

2) The pool doesn't have public swimming at the time it would be easiest for me to go, because they use the lanes for "Deep Water Running".

Which brings me to my 2 questions.

1) Anyone have a suggestion for a good, cheap, pedometer, either an Android app or a separate device?

2) Has anyone done Deep Water Running?  Did you like it?  Is it a good choice for someone just getting back into exercise, who wants to protect her joints?

#2 GwenJ

GwenJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:32 PM

I loooove my FitBit but they run $100 each. It tracks your activities, sleep patterns, weight, water intake, and calorie intake.  You have to input info and a good food program like MyFitnessPal is a great companion app, but I reallly like the device.  You can get cheap pedometers at Wal-Mart, Target, etc if all you are looking for is steps.

I'm not familiar with Deep Water Running so I can't help there.

zfEEm6.png 

Year 1 total loss: 127 lbs

New Years Challenge

Goal: 15 lbs

WI1: -2.4 lbs

WI2:

WI3:

WI4:

Total: -2.4 lbs

#3 bigfrost

bigfrost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:37 PM

JC has its own pedometer that you just hook and and go if you only are looking for steps but as mentioned FitBit has a cool tool that helps you track alot more and it is addicting to see your steps add up and also online keep track of your food and calories

Forward ever...Backward never

Start Weight = 223

Present Weight = 179

New Year Countdown Challenge

week 1

week 2

week 3

week 4

week 5

week 6

week 7

week 8

#4 SonyaCele

SonyaCele

Sonya

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:36 AM

i got the body media from JC that has more than just a pedometer , and i love it, it calculates calories burned for the day, sleep patterns, minutes of activity, steps, etc.   There are lots of pedometers , lots of activity monitors, check them all out. fitbit is good, bodymedia is good,   but bodymedia charges a monthly fee i think 7$ a month.   

I've never done deep water running , give it a try!  You can protect your joints by properly warming up before your exercise, and listen to your body , if something hurts, find something an alternative.  My joints are old and creaky and messed up, but with a little strength training, they are stronger than they've ever been.  

When you look in the mirror and see no change, and still keep faith, knowing that in time you will get there if you stay focused and on track, that's the difference between those who succeed and those who fail.

5'4", 46 years old, start date 7/18/2012 236.4 lbs, i work out a lot.

10/19/14  week 1 - 4.2

10/25/14  week 2 - 0

11/1/14    week 3 - 4.4

11/8/14   week 4 - +1

11/18/14 week 5 - 

sonyabeforeafterjune2013_zps9d3b3f8a.jpg

weight.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users