• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 shelly6227

shelly6227

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:21 PM

I was so successful the first time I did Jenny so when I came back I expected the same results. Unfortunately it is taking me a lot longer to lose and it is kind of discouraging me. The only thing I can think of that is holding me back is the alcohol. Now that I'm of age to drink, my friends constantly like to party and binge drink on the weekends. I know I should have more self control and cut out the booze for good, but its very hard for me. Does anyone that likes to drink have any tips for lower calorie alcohol beverages? 

#2 Margro

Margro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:23 AM

No, it is not helping for sure and I understand the need to be with your friends on the weekend. In the end though, it is still a sacrifice you will need to make... sorry  :( My daughter is 23 and her room mate successfully lost on JC and still go out with her friends. She drank club soda with lemon and lime slices or mixed light cranberry with club soda in a martini glass and made sure she ate her JC food before going out. She tried the I'll just have one drink method, but that lead to more drinks or over eating. At "pre gamers" she just brought her own stuff, really no one cared as they were her friends. When they all went our for dinner, she had her entree either before or after depending on hunger level and a big salad (combining two salads) at the restaurant. She has lost 45 lbs and maintained her weight loss for about a year now. But she still has to be carful with weekend drinking to keep it off. 

Best of luck to you Shelly

weight.png

SW 229

CW 224
GW 130

Marsha

#3 Margro

Margro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:32 AM

Sorry missed the low calorie part, beware of drinks like skinny girl low cal vodkas etc. The calorie amount is for 1.5 ounces but the average drink is 3-4 ounces. Wine spritzers are low cal, mix wine with club soda. With summer around the corner, many places make frozen daiquiris or margaritas without alcohol that taste great. 

weight.png

SW 229

CW 224
GW 130

Marsha

#4 a_red_dress

a_red_dress

Sheila

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:43 AM

Shelly...not trying to sound like a smart a$$ or anything but...don't you think if drinking alcohol while doing JC would give you the results JC would tell you that you can do it?

I like my wine and used to have it most weekends but not after I started JC (except vacations: I've had it and always have to pay for it when I come home and have a gain, cause like Marsha said drinking leads to eating more)  So you gotta decide wine and the program not working or no wine and getting the weight off?

I know it's hard but getting the weight off is so worth it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 jwaters49

jwaters49

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:07 PM

Binge drinking has a number of other bad consequences. I encourage you to look at your overall health as you are making this journey...

Memorial Day Challenge:
weight.png

weight.png

#6 Darcy1-2

Darcy1-2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:03 AM

Hey Shelly, totally get where you're coming from. I'm 22, and it seems like we should be able to go out and get crazy once in a while - so here's what I do: 

- I cut out all beer. Waaaay too many calories. Not worth it. 

- If I'm drinking at a bar, vodka water with a side of lime juice. Each shot of vodka is 80 calories, so decide how much you're going to drink and go from there. 

- If I'm getting crazy at a friend's or my place, red wine. One bottle = 600 calories. And by one bottle, I'm sloshed haha. Try to alternate each drink with a glass of water and don't munch on salty snacks or chips! Also, I've been limiting alcohol intake to no more than once per week, and I tend to try and save my calories by cutting out snacks, and getting a really good calorie burning workout in that day. 

- Make sure the next day, you drink a crapload of water, and get some exercise in. Even just a walk or something. 

This is a lifestyle change and it's summer - you've gotta enjoy the journey. It hasn't seemed to hurt my weightloss much, if at all, and I still get to see all my alcohol-loving friends. 

:)

weight.png

Start date: October 20, 2013 - 258.7
First goal: 200 - BEAT! March 19, 2014
Second goal: 175 - BEAT! July 3, 2014
Third goal: 150

#7 kristinamdillon

kristinamdillon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:16 PM

Darcy, that's some really great advice. I'm going to have to use that when I go out. Thanks! 

KRISTINA

#8 Boopison

Boopison

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:15 AM

Wine is my downfall.  I have been having a glass or two with dinner every night for a long time.  Not good for many reasons, not the least of which is weight-gain.

I'm allowing myself one glass per week.  I want to lose the weight and keep it off!

Vegas, 9/1/14!

Current Weight:  133.6

Target Weight by Vegas:  123.6

Overall Goal Weight:  117.0 (by 10/31/14)

Starting Weight:  133.6

Week 2, 7/29:  134.00

Week 3, 8/5:

Week 4, 8/12:  133.2

Week 5, 8/19:

Week 6: 8/26:

Week 7:  9/2:  hoping for 123.6!

#9 SonyaCele

SonyaCele

Sonya

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:33 AM

alcohol is primarily responsible for my initial weight gain of 100 lbs.    i would be much better off if i could avoid it all together, but i limit myself to 1 or 2 drinks a week, and i know that it has a huge affect on everything. I'm eating on a deficit and technically should be losing weight, but weeks i drink alcohol i lose nothing and stay the same.     If i dont drink , i drop a pound or two, but then like an idiot i drink twice as much the following week and i gain a pound or two.    Alcohol and weight loss don't go together for me.  One or the other, but not both.

When you look in the mirror and see no change, and still keep faith, knowing that in time you will get there if you stay focused and on track, that's the difference between those who succeed and those who fail.

5'4", 46 years old, start date 7/18/2012 236.4 lbs, i work out a lot.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Darcy1-2

Darcy1-2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:19 AM

Well, all I can say is that everyone is different. When I set out on this journey, I made the decision that it was going to be a lifetime change. And I fully intend to enjoy my life - which occasionally means overindulging, getting crazy wasted with some friends, and partying it up. Now I'm definitely not doing that every week or even every month, but that doesn't mean it isn't going to happen. I think it's okay to be able to let loose the reins once in a while, and then pick up the next day like nothing happened, as long as you are able to get yourself back on track right away.

That being said, if you feel like you won't be able to shake the guilt or that it'll derail your entire plan, don't do it. If you're not okay with seeing an occasional gain or plateau, don't do it. Since I've quit Jenny food in March, I've still lost over 20 pounds just by staying pretty consistently within 1300 calories/day and exercising regularly. And definitely it's been a bit challenging not having the convenience of Jenny ( :(), but for me, I think it's made a huge impact on how I feel about everything - I can still eat what I love, just in moderation. Same thing with drinking. 

I think that we just all need to realize that everyone's journey is going to be different - there's no right or wrong way to do it, just what works best for ourselves. 

weight.png

Start date: October 20, 2013 - 258.7
First goal: 200 - BEAT! March 19, 2014
Second goal: 175 - BEAT! July 3, 2014
Third goal: 150

#11 joannabanana78

joannabanana78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:11 PM

I'm with Darcy on this.  I'm not going to repeat her advice, but it's basically the strategy I've gone with.  I'm 36, not 20-something, but I still have a strong appreciation for social drinking, especially in this summer season.  It has been hard for me to adjust, as I used to drink 1-3 beers every night, and uncounted on the weekends.  Now I'm nixing the weeknight beers, save an occasional one here or there which I then skip my snack.  When I do have an event I go Darcy-style.  Last weekend I went to a 3-day music festival, and the weekend was a blur.  I just tried to make the right choices when I could and I still lost at my next weigh in. 

While I don't think it's fair to compare your results to the last time you did JC, I think you should just stay up on the horse, and do the best that you can day by day.  And no after bar pizza or schwarma, or burgers, or anything!  Just say no!

Week 1: July 21 - 178.8

Week 2: July 28 - 173.0 (-5.8)

Week 3: Aug 04 - 172.8 (-0.2)

Week 4: Aug 11 - 168.3 (-4.3)

Week 5: Aug 18 - 167.8 (-0.5)

Week 6: Aug 25 - 165.0 (-2.8)

Week 7: Sept 01 - 164.0 (-1.0)

Challenge Accepted - 153lbs by October 31st

Week 7 - Sept 02 - 164.6 (+0.6)

Week 8 - Sept 09 - 161.4 (-3.2)

Week 9 - Sept 16 - ? Jamaica ?

Week 10 - Sept 23 - 162.0 (+0.6)