• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jill23

Jill23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:51 PM

In my post entitled Jenny I will wait for you...I outline the reasons for holding off and saving up for the food. I absolutely know and understand that many of us find the price of the program a little hard to swallow.

Yes, for some of us, the cost is a fraction of what we spend eating out, buying coffee or lunches out and the like. For many, we actually spend less - maybe much less - than $400-$600 per month on food - and that's just for us alone - never mind for our families.

The reason I am waiting and saving -BTW the January 2015 start date is back on - is that I want to be able to fully commit to the process without worrying about having to cut corners or quit - just as I am gaining momentum and success. With a starting amount of a good $1,000 - $1,500, I ensure that I can be on program for at least 2 1/2 to 3 months, and add on as I need to later. In addition - I will have a dedicated Jenny card - like a reloadable account with the money already on there - so that I KNOW - that I cannot use money as an excuse.

But let's think about this: The real cost isn't really the food - the REAL cost is the heaviness on our hearts, the feeling of failure, the extra burden on our joints, our feet and our internal organs, how our clothes feel, what we are limited to and so many other things.

I hunted around for some estimates on two things: Open heart surgery and diabetes...

The numbers were SHOCKING.

The cost of open heart surgery, recovery, lifetime drugs, support and all that goes with it is a whopping $324,000!!!!

Diabetes is a distant- but still mind-blowing - second at $100,000.

Of course, insurance covers some of this - but the out-of-pocket cost to the average person - incomprehensible! 

For me - $400-$500 a month is not looking so bad...

Sure, my pocketbook is a little lighter - but I figure the trade offs of avoiding surgery, pills, pain, pain and more pain, bills, bills and more bills - is worth it.

I am looking forward to a lighter body, lighter spirit and gaining control over my life in this area.

Everyone has a reason - the REAL reason - they want to join. For me, I am extremely motivated by staying out of the hospital and doctor's office as much as possible!!

Jill

#2 sandooch

sandooch

Gif fanatic ♥

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:02 PM

What an awesome post, Jill!  And you are so right. 

I was fortunate enough to have parents that knew I was struggling not only financially but physically and were worried that because of my weight I'd have a stroke like my grandmother did.  So they told me (actually demanded) that they would pay for me to do JC.  It moved me to tears at knowing how concerned for my well being they were, but that they would give me such a generous financial gift like this...well, there was no way I was going to disappoint them, and it's a big reason why I was so successful with it.  Yes, I lost slowly because of my age and messing up my metabolism over the years with on and off dieting and binging. But to see my parents beaming with pride when they see me now and tell me how proud they are of me makes me so appreciative of them and happy that I can give them some peace about my health.

It is an expensive program, yes, but you could easily spend $15-$20 on a good meal out for one person, and lots of people do this several times a week.  Like you said, when you think about what you can potentially save in the future from obesity-related illness, too, it really is an eye opener and puts your health into perspective.

3MXs.gif

PicMonkeyCollageEaster2014_zps4c7943c9.j

If you hate starting over...STOP giving up!!!

#3 GwenJ

GwenJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:03 AM

Very good point Jill.  I am the same as Sandy.  My mom wanted to join Jenny and needed someone to do it with her.  So she asked me.  I told her I couldn't afford it (I knew nothing about the program but honestly I didn't want to put in the effort to lose weight, I just wanted to make excuses) so she said she would pay for it.  I try to get the amount down because I don't want her spending that much every week so now I'm down to about $55 a week on food.  When I talk to my husband about eating healthier I always use his dad for an example.  He has high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, and is only 55 years old.  It worries me that if he heads down the same path that he will have the same issues.  I don't want him worrying about starches and insulin and testing and all that jazz.  Not only is it hte financial hardship but it's also the mental hardship.  When he tells me he doesn't like eating oatmeal for breakfast every morning I say well neither do I. But it's going to help me get to a healthy weight and I don't care. I can occasionally go out to breakfast but life isn't always about what we want.  It's not always instant gratification.  Last weekend we did go to Cracker Barrel for breakfast and I had 2 eggs over medium, turkey bacon, and 1 pancake with sugar free syrup.  Over my cal for breakfast?  Yep.  But sometimes you just have to have those splurges.  Those little splurges make it easier for me to eat my packet of oatmeal every morning.

zfEEm6.png 

Year 1 total loss: 127 lbs

New Years Challenge

Goal: 15 lbs

WI1: -2.4 lbs

WI2: -3.0 lbs

WI3:

WI4:

Total: -5.4 lbs

#4 jasonfit2015

jasonfit2015

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:13 AM

I had my first consultation yesterday and my cost of food for my first week was $145.00. Now this was a little higher than the $126 I estimated but it is because some shelf stable items I switched out for frozen because they either weren't in stock or I wouldn't eat them. I did cut out the soupitizers and dressings. Next week I won't be switching out the shelf stable as much and may actually do more shelf stable desserts. I was sad my center was out of the lemon cooler cookies. My goal is to get my prices down to $125 a week average.

Posted Image

#5 seashoresuzi

seashoresuzi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:27 AM

Gwen,

You sooo kick butttt girl!  You obviously set your goal and set your mind for the win when you started this journey and the only option you gave yourself was success.  What you have done in just under a year (based on your forum start date) shows such resolve, patience, sheer grit, and best of all.... the critical self worth, self esteem, and self love that you have had since the start.  I'm sure you hear it all the time, but I just gotta say, I am so proud of you!!!!

From the numbers in your signature...it looks like your journey may be drivin you into "twotown" during the next Sandy challenge.  That's pretty darn awesome!

I loved your response to your husbands remark that he doesn't like oatmeal every morning....your  "Well neither do I" just said it all and made me smile.  I remember when my 2 kids were teenagers and we didn't have a dishwasher, I told them they each had to wash the dishes one day a week.  My daughter told me she did not like doing the stupid dishes...instead of placating her with all kinds of sympathies and reasons, I just said,  "Well neither do I."....(that's why your comment made me smile).  

It ain't easy but it's all so worth it....you and several other awesome ladies in these forums show us and inspire us every day by setting the pace and leading by doing.  Thank you!  :wub:  

Cate

weight.png

Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right. - Henry Ford

flagwaves.gif Memorial Day Challenge:

Challenge SW: 195.2

Challenge GW: 187.2

Actual Challenge W:  186.4

fireworks_4th_7.gif

July 4th Challenge:

Challenge SW:  186.4

Challenge GW:  178.0

Start date: 1/15/14
SW: 222.8
GW: 125

Day 1 Start Wt: 222.8                     Week 13: -2.2 = 195.2
Week 1: -3.0 = 219.8                      Week 14:  - .6 = 194.6
Week 2: -2.8 = 217.0                      Week 15: -  Vaca - no WI
Week 3: -3.0 = 214.0                      Week 16: -  Vaca - no WI
Week 4: -2.8 = 211.2                      Week 17: -5.0 = 189.6
Week 5: -1.6 = 209.6                      Week 18: -3.2 = 186.4
Week 6: -1.6 = 208.0                      Week 19: -2.4 = 184.0
Week 7: -2.6 = 205.4
Week 8: -2.0 = 203.4
Week 9: -1.2 = 202.2
Week 10:-1.8 = 200.4
Week 11 -2.6 = 197.8
Week 12: -.4 = 197.4

#6 seashoresuzi

seashoresuzi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:53 AM

Jason, First of all...Welcome!!  You have come to the right place, so good for you!  Please stay active on these boards.  It's a great place to find very helpful info, suggestions, and support....as well as a place to share your ups and the occasional downs along the way. 

If you haven't already done it, consider joining the Memorial Day Challenge that Sandy set up.  Her challenges break up your end goal into smaller goals along the way and truly make the journey go by so much faster and adds some fun.

I did just like you at the beginning....spent more than I had intended....but after a few weeks on the program, cut the $$ down some.  (I still have soupitizers in my pantry that I never even tried).  After several months on the program, I have grasped the portion control theory (and it has helped me to learn to eat with a fork instead of a shovel), and I now do breakfast on my own....Special K, Cheerios, scrambled egg whites....that saves some $$ as well.  So as you progress, you will see some of the foods costs just naturally go down.

So again, welcome....and hope we see you a lot on the boards! 

Cate

weight.png

fireworks_4th_7.gif

July 4th Challenge:

Week 11 -2.6 = 197.8

#7 seashoresuzi

seashoresuzi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:13 AM

Jill,

Some reality check on the cost of good health vs poor health!!

I'm glad you are starting with us on the boards, even before you officially start the program.  I'm sure your strengths are going to rub off on us.  I read your other posts about totally getting out of debt and other goals that you set for yourselves and stuck to no matter what.  Accomplishing those was certainly no walk in the park, but you did it.  

Glad you are here with us! 

Cate

weight.png

fireworks_4th_7.gif

July 4th Challenge:

Week 11 -2.6 = 197.8

#8 Watergirl714

Watergirl714

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:44 PM

Thank you for the post. One other item worth noting is if you were on the verge of having to buy into another size like I was, there is a savings on clothes. I'll be honest and say the only thing I wore most of the winter were track pants. Now that I've lost weight, there are two boxes of clothes I 'm able to fit into again. Thanks to the program, I'm looking forward to a great summer wardrobe wearing clothes I'd only dreamed about wearing again. 

weight.png

#9 GwenJ

GwenJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:13 AM

That's true.  You do save a ton when you are able to buy smaller sizes.  I was always jealous of my friends that could shop the clearance racks and not be left with crap.  In the plus size dept it's usually awful patterns and fittings.  I can't wait to just walk into any store I want that is having a sale to shop and not be confined to 2 stores.

zfEEm6.png 

Year 1 total loss: 127 lbs

New Years Challenge

Goal: 15 lbs

WI1: -2.4 lbs

WI2: -3.0 lbs

WI3:

WI4:

Total: -5.4 lbs

#10 a_red_dress

a_red_dress

Sheila

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:20 PM

Jill23

Boy am I impressed with you!  Your attitude is exactly what is needed to do this program and be a success.  I think it is so smart how you've laid out the facts which is a very good way to look at and justify spending the money on this program.  What you will save in the long run is so true in your figures but what it gives you to accomplish this goal of losing the weight is beyond words...but the ultimate goal is not losing it but keeping it off for life.  You truly change your life and it is priceless how you will look back and say there is no way I ever want to be back there ever again!  It is one of the hardest things I've ever done but I've given me and my husband our lives back.  My health was very poor when I joined JC so all those things you mention ring so true for me.  If you don't have your health you really don't have a life.  Don't wait till you get my age to finally do something about it!

I know you said you're saving up the money to do JC, however in the mean time start on the road to a healthy lifestyle.  Start exercising...start slow and work your way up.  I started out 10 minutes and worked up to 1 1/2 hours at a time sometimes if I go on my hikes.

Also start eating healthy.  Educate yourself on what a serving really is.  A serving of cereal, a serving of rice all those things are universal and about the same with any weight loss plan.  You'll be so much farther along when it comes time to join JC.  I can't wait to have you on the forums cause I bet your contributions will be great and will help many people!  You're gonna do this and we'd love to help you anyway we can!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: food, cost, disease

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users