• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Sunshine521

Sunshine521

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:11 PM

Once again I am back trying to lose weight. I came back to JC because my membership was about to expire. So I thought that I would try again. I am just overwhelmed with the amount of weight I have to lose. I know what is expected of me, how to do it, etc. However, just the thought of how much I need to lose and how long it will take overwhelms me before I have even started! I have tried to take it in small increments and set small goals. I start off doing great. Then I have a slip up, gain a pound and don't want to go back to JC until I have lost the pound plus more (too embarrassed and ashamed of myself). Well I never lose that pound on my own and end up not going back to JC. It is a vicious cycle. Has anyone had this problem? If so, how do you overcome it? I really want this time to work!

#2 dijarm

dijarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:24 PM

I think you need to start with a fresh positive perspective. It seems you are expecting failure before you even begin. Having a positive outlook and mind-set can get you long way in this journey. Lots of us here had/have 50lbs or more to loose, you know this and know it CAN be done. It sounds like you know what to do, just have a little faith in yourself.

Started March 10, 2011
height-5'7
sw-195
1st goal-170
2nd goal-150 Aug. 2011 and still lost more!
maintenance weight-145

3 YEARS OF MAINTENANCE!! WHOOHOO!

http://i1090.photobu...an/Untitled.jpg[/img]P1020021.jpg

#3 rxkiki

rxkiki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:28 PM

You are not alone!! I too have lots of weight to lose! I find so often that our mindset influences our success. Know that you can do it! As my husband always tells me, "It's a marathon, not a sprint." We've all heard, "you didn't put the weight on overnight and it's not going to fall off overnight." blah blah blah... For myself, I had to evaluate why I wanted to lose weight? This time, for me, it's different. I'm doing it this time for my health. Always before, it's been for vanity reasons. I would lose a little, my clothes would fit better, I'd feel better, then gain it all back. This time, I want to be around for my kids. This time, I want to live to grow old. I want to decrease my chance of heart disease, diabetes, cancer, etc... This time I cannot stop until the weight is gone! My first goal is to lose 50, then I will reevaluate to see how much more I want to lose. YOU CAN DO THIS!!! And remember, we're all here to help you reach your goals!!
Destroying One Pound At A Time,

RxKiki

SW: 238.8
GW #1: 175
End GW: 145

Week 1: 232.0 (-6.8)
Week 2: 228.8 (-3.2) DOWN 10LB!!!
Week 3: 224.4 (-4.4) Down 14.4 total!!
Week 4: 223.8 (-0.6) Down 15lb!!!
Week 5: 220.8 (-3) Down 18lb!! Woohoo!!
Week 6: 218.8 (-2) I'M DOWN 20 POUNDS!!!!!!
Week 7: 217.0 (-1.8) YAY! Down 21.8lb!!
Week 8: 216.6 (-0.4) Down 22.2lb!!!
Week 9: 214.0 (-2.6) Down 24.8!
Week 10: 212.8 (-1.2) Down 26!!
Week 11: 209.0 (-3.8) Down 29.8!!!
Week 12: 211.2 (+2.2) Just got back from vacation
Week 13: 207.0 (-4) Down 31.8!! I'm back on track!
Week 14: 206.8 (-.2) Down 32

Valentine's Day Challenge:
SW: 231
GW:221
******I beat the challenge!!
CW: 219.2

St. Patrick's Day Challenge:
SW: 219.2
GW: 210
******I beat the challenge!!!
CW:209

Easter Challenge:
SW: 209
GW:200

#4 loosh

loosh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:39 PM

Don't be overwhelmed! I try to remember that any weight I lose, even a pound is a pound I am no longer carrying around with me 24/7. And that every day with less fat, sugar, sodium is a healthier day than I was having. Any exercise s a victory too After a few weeks I FELT so much better that is super motivating too. You do not have to be perfect all the time to win at this!! And your JC counselor knows this. Go girl! You are worth it.

#5 Race Girl

Race Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:00 PM

First, you can do this and you will find plenty of support on these forums! Second, JC is there to help you get to your goal weight so it really is the last place you should feel embarrassed if you gained a pound. Think of JC as your safe zone. I know you said you set small goals, but you didn't say what those were. For me (the first time on JC 7 years ago) the best goal/reward for motivating me was to buy an outfit to look forward to and hang it where you can see it every single day. For me I started with a smaller size dress and kept it in my bathroom hanging up every day. Each week I would try that dress on and see how much closer I was to fitting into it. Sometimes you will be surprised to find out that you might be losing inches in places you didn't know even if you didn't lose weight that week. Once you fit into that outfit you will be so proud of yourself. Take some pictures of yourself along the way as well. You will be so happy you did when you go back and look at them along your journey.

Started 7/7/06 and again 3/26/14
Age 42
HT: 5'3
SW: 161.4
CW: 143.8
GW: 128
http://racegirl.extrapounds.com/

#6 GwenJ

GwenJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:26 AM

I know exactly what it is like to feel like you have too much to lose. My goal is to lose 216 lbs. Half way there! And you know what, it feels like I just started yesterday. IT goes by fast!

Regarding the slip ups, we alll have them. Heck, when I gain it's usually not .4 lbs. Ok, the one week in my signature shows .1. But that was the one and only time that happened. When I gain it's usually like 2 1/2 lbs. And it suuuucks. But it's just motivation to keep going and lose it the following week. I look at this as a week to week thing. So I slipped and ate really badly one or two days. On Thursday it will re-set. I'll have my gain then I'll work even harder the following week and have a great loss. Just look at your JC WI as a re-set day. No matter what happened the previous week, it starts all over again on your WI day. So put it all behind you and make better choices next time. You just have to make sure you do make those better choices. After a while the number will just be a tool in the new you. Sure I love weeks that I have great loses. I had two weeks where I lost 7 lbs each!! that was awesome. But know what feels better? The fact that Ralph Lauren size 20 jeans fit me!! And that I can wear a dress and it shows a slight curve near my waist instead of straight up and down. That should be your motivation. Looking and feeling better! Come to the forums and participate. IT will help keep you on track and going. Join the challenges that we have going on to help guide you.

zfEEm6.png 

Year 1 total loss: 127 lbs

Summer Slim Down

Goal: 16 lbs

Finish 6K in 50 minutes

W1: -0.4 lbs

W2: -3.8 lbs

W3: -3.6 lbs

W4: -2.2 lbs

W5: +1.0 lbs

W6: No WI

W7: -5.2 lbs

W8: No WI

Total: -14.2 lbs

#7 bigfrost

bigfrost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:38 AM

i feel the same way - i have never had to lose this much weight in my life! but this time i decided i needed to do it and do it right. i had started last summer and bombed out right away -my mind was not in it but so far this time i am doing well - lost 20 pounds but i personally can not see it but i have to find other ways to recognize it, like in measurements and feeling better when i exercise. i know it is a long time out to see the end. for me it should be around September or October but then it really is not the end. we do not just lose it and wallaah it is gone for good - this is a life style and a forever way of looking at ourselves.

Rethink your mind set and move ahead and take each victory as a sign you can do it and make smaller goals like losing 10 at a time instead of seeing the larger final goal.
Hope these thoughts help ou

Forward ever...Backward never

Start Weight = 223

July 4th Challenge goal = 6 pound loss started at 193.2

Week 1= 191.6

Week 2= 190.8

Week 3= 188.6

Week 4= 188.4

Week 5= 184.4

Summer Challenge Goal = get into 170's and lose 10 pounds

Week 1= 184

Week 2= 181.6

Week 3= 181.

Week 4= 180.4

Week 5= 181

Week 6= 174.6

Week 7

Week 8

1fa9a8ad-e1f6-4231-a611-575467dc2fab_zps

#8 jwaters49

jwaters49

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:19 AM

I have about 100lbs to loose. I'm trying to look at it as a day at a time and not think about the total amount. I'm trying to think about eating healthy and moving each day so I don't feel overwhelmed...

Memorial Day Challenge:
weight.png

weight.png

#9 Vin Dame

Vin Dame

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:25 AM

Sunshine - I totally get where you're coming from (as do so many of us on here)...but it DOES get easier as you get into the groove of the program. I also have about 100 pounds to lose...I'm down app. 35 so far. It really does go by so fast...as quickly as time passes ; )! So, the days and months can pass and we can continue to look, feel and be unhealthy(ier). OR the same amount of time can pass and we can incorporate healthier choices and behaviors and we can morph into our best, healthiest, most fabulous selves.
The time's going to go by no matter what - that's a non-negotiable. What we do have control over is how we make the most of each day and moment. I've posted on here a bunch about how I'm the last one to profess how easy it is to be perfectly on program. That's not me. I like to eat, I like to drink and sometimes I need the flexibility to do both off program - but I balance it with exercise and being on program more than not. And it works - and I feel incredible!
You've got to do what works for you and it sounds like your old cycle isn't - but even if you start with 1 day a week perfectly on program, then bump it to two, then three - you'll be farther along than you may feel now. My intent really isn't to advocate not following the program 100%, 100% of the time. If you can do it, AWESOME! Ultimately, I feel that it's about finding and feeling successful - for me, being totally on program the first 6 weeks, then slowly incorporating a day a week where I could "do/consume" what I want is working. BUT, the more I see and experience the results I have been, the less I want to sabotage my achievements and the way I look and feel. That's just my personality - if you tell me I can't have or do something - that's ALL I'll focus on. However, by being able to focus on what I CAN have on program whenever I want (brownie, French toast, pasta), versus what I can't have because it's 'off program'...I really am feeling less and less deprived. For example, last night I had a work dinner for my spouse. When it was time for dessert, I passed on it because I knew that if it was in front of me, there's no way I would just stop after a bite. The whole thing would be consumed before I even realized it, I'd feel guilty and frustrated, yada yada. Instead, I had a cup of coffee, enjoyed the company and knew I was going home to a warmed JC walnut brownie, drizzled with SF caramel sauce and lite cool whip. Ummm YUM - and I probably saved over 500 calories but still felt totally indulgent.
Ok - I've blabbed more than enough. But know you're not alone, that we all totally get your concerns and fears about all this - but it SOOO works and this summer and fall AND winter (unfortunately) are going to roll around. How do you want to look and feel when you get there?

#10 sandooch

sandooch

Gif fanatic ♥

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:25 AM

Sensational advice from everyone...as usual! The only thing I'd like to add is that I believe most people feel this way when they have a lot to lose. Like you said, you can tell yourself to just take it a little bit at a time, but if you consistently are still concentrating on the big picture and telling everyone that you have to lose sooo much weight, that is what you are going to dwell on too much and get overwhelmed with. Yes, I know that it is impossible to not think about the big picture at all, but the more you tell yourself and others that you are taking it 5 or 10 pounds at a time (and this is when joining the challenges can help you concentrate on these smaller goals), you are more and more likely to reinfore in your mind that baby steps really ARE the way to go in your journey. And as Gwen and others here have said, as daunting as the road ahead looks, as you get through each small goal, it adds up really quickly over time. I just cannot believe how quickly even all the small weight losses added up over the past 11 months.

So, please come and join the challenges each month, no matter how much time is left in them. We all encourage one another daily. If you have a hard day/week, tell us about it. We've all been there, some of us several times. But we pick one another up, dust ourselves off and keep on chugging along. No one said this would be easy...but it is absolutely possible when you lean on others with the same common goals.

Hope to see you there!

(the Easter challenge link is in my siganature)

z53b48b110194f.gif

weight.png

sun.gif Join the Summer Slim-Down Challenge here:http://community.jen...-challenge-☀/  sun.gif

PicMonkeyCollageEaster2014_zps4c7943c9.j

If you hate starting over...STOP giving up!!!

#11 Vin Dame

Vin Dame

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:52 PM

Amazing comments, Sandy! I can't wait until I'm 11 months in, approaching the 1 year mark - I can't even imagine how incredible I'll feel ; ). If its 1/2 as good as you, I'll be in great shape!!!

#12 sandooch

sandooch

Gif fanatic ♥

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:10 PM

Thank you, Vin. You are doing an amazing job, and I look forward to reading all your posts. :)

z53b48b110194f.gif

weight.png

sun.gif Join the Summer Slim-Down Challenge here:http://community.jen...-challenge-☀/  sun.gif

PicMonkeyCollageEaster2014_zps4c7943c9.j

If you hate starting over...STOP giving up!!!

#13 Shayla39

Shayla39

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:10 PM

Y'all inspire me! I go weigh in on Saturday and It will be my fourth week. I have like 75 lbs left to lose also. But we can do it!

weight.png

1st Week......-6.2 lbs
2nd Week......-1.8 lbs
    Week 3 and 4.....-5.2 lbs  

Week 5 and 6......-0 lbs

Week 7........+2 lbs

Week 8......... -3 lbs

Week 9.....-3 lbs

Week 10.....-1.4 lbs

Week 11...........-.2 lbs

Week 12......-.8 lbs

Week 13......-3.6 lbs

Week 14--.8

Week 15-.8

#14 Sunshine521

Sunshine521

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:03 PM

Wow! Thank you all for your responses. There are a lot of great ideas. I am going to go back and re-read these when I start thinking about sabatoging my weight loss. I will definitely continue to read this blog site!

By the way Race Girl, I just picked up my food and the consultant said exactly what you said about considering JC a safe place and not to be embarrased.

#15 seashoresuzi

seashoresuzi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:58 AM

Sunshine,

Maybe part of your struggle is that you aren't appreciating the value of the losses along the way because in the big picture,  5 or 10 pounds doesn't seem very significant. I'm reposting a personal experience here that I posted in another thread and hope it helps some:

OK my friends, to help with motivation and realization of the benefits you are gifting your body, try what I have done.....

The next time you are at the grocery store in the produce department, pick up two 5 pound bags of potatoes and just carry them around for 4 or 5 minutes while looking at veggies.  Man, they get heavy and you will be so glad to put them down.  That's what our poor bodies feel with each extra ten pounds we have on our bodies.  I'm close to being 30 pounds down...that's like 6 bags of potatoes I was forcing my body to carry around all day, every day!!  And with 70 some pounds to go, I'm still forcing my body to carry 14 bags of potatoes all day, every day. Poor poor body.  Really, try it.....you will truly appreciate the impact of your losses!

The other thing, I did several days ago, and wow!  Ok, if you have lots of weight to lose like me and have a big ole belly of fat hanging in front of you....while you are standing, lift that fat blob way up with your hands and forearms, hold it up, and walk around for a minute...ahhhh, you feel such a relief.....then slowly release the blob and feel the pull and drag come back on your entire body.....uuuggghhhh!  feels gross and very uncomfortable!  We get used to carrying it around and don't realize how bad it really feels and how GREAT it's going to feel when it's gone.  Seriously, if you are at home reading this post, stop reading for a minute right now, get up and try it so you don't forget!  Oh My Goodness!  I do this every other day or so and that peek into the crystal ball soooo helps me stay motivated.

Cate

weight.png

Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right. - Henry Ford

flagwaves.gif Memorial Day Challenge:

Challenge SW: 195.2

Challenge GW: 187.2

Actual Challenge W:  186.4

fireworks_4th_7.gif

July 4th Challenge:

Challenge SW:  186.4

Challenge GW:  178.0

Start date: 1/15/14
SW: 222.8
GW: 125

Day 1 Start Wt: 222.8                     Week 13: -2.2 = 195.2
Week 1: -3.0 = 219.8                      Week 14:  - .6 = 194.6
Week 2: -2.8 = 217.0                      Week 15: -  Vaca - no WI
Week 3: -3.0 = 214.0                      Week 16: -  Vaca - no WI
Week 4: -2.8 = 211.2                      Week 17: -5.0 = 189.6
Week 5: -1.6 = 209.6                      Week 18: -3.2 = 186.4
Week 6: -1.6 = 208.0                      Week 19: -2.4 = 184.0
Week 7: -2.6 = 205.4
Week 8: -2.0 = 203.4
Week 9: -1.2 = 202.2
Week 10:-1.8 = 200.4
Week 11 -2.6 = 197.8
Week 12: -.4 = 197.4

#16 jamescleark5

jamescleark5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:54 AM

For decent weight loss detox juice diet is the best option, It's manly contains the fresh fruit and green vegetable that keep you fit in juice fast. Mosty people are scared from juice fast then kale chips is the best option in snacks.

#17 slimper33

slimper33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:33 PM

I feel the same way. Just started back 3 days ago after giving up (at halfway) in 2010. I set my goal for 50 pounds, even though I need to lose 70-80 because it just seemed dauntingly hopeless. So I am setting my sights on losing 50 and then tackling that last 20-30 once I have the hope because of reaching the big goal. And I also have been overweight since about the age of 12 or 13, so I am not sure what my goal weight will look and feel like, so I want to reevaluate once I lose 50.

SW: 220.4 (5'6") on 06/16/2014
Week 1: -5.6
Week 2: -3.4
Week 3: -0.0
Week 4: -0.6, 5 inches total
Week 5: -0.4 (10 pounds!)
Week 6: -3.0
Week 7: -4.6
Week 8: -1.4, 9.5 inches total

Week 9: -0.2

Week 10: -1.8 (20 pounds!)

CW: 199.4

GW: 170 (and then maybe 10-30 more pounds after that)

Summer Slim Down Goal: To reach halfway by 9/22 (25 pounds-- 6 pounds to go)

.png

#18 GwenJ

GwenJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:24 AM

Detox juice diets are just a gimmick.  You have to eat healthy and exercise.  If you can't stand the flavors of fruits or certain veggies sure making a smoothie or something will work.  But people shouldn't rely on fad diets for a life long change.

zfEEm6.png 

Year 1 total loss: 127 lbs

Summer Slim Down

Goal: 16 lbs

Finish 6K in 50 minutes

W1: -0.4 lbs

W2: -3.8 lbs

W3: -3.6 lbs

W4: -2.2 lbs

W5: +1.0 lbs

W6: No WI

W7: -5.2 lbs

W8: No WI

Total: -14.2 lbs

#19 SonyaCele

SonyaCele

Sonya

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:16 PM

well said, gwen

When you look in the mirror and see no change, and still keep faith, knowing that in time you will get there if you stay focused and on track, that's the difference between those who succeed and those who fail.

5'4", 46 years old, start date 7/18/2012 236.4 lbs, i work out a lot.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 nova08

nova08

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:22 PM

don't worry iv got quite a bit to lose to and i don't have a choice my back just isnt going to take it after the injury i got. my recommendation is the same as every one else don't give up! if you have a bad day that's OK just stay determined that the next meal will be on par. take it literally one meal at a time. everyone has bad days but the important thing is to realize that even a a pound off is worth celebrating because you've made some progress. like the old saying goes "the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. keep it up were all here for you! ^_^

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users