19 replies to this topic

#1 happyday25

happyday25

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:15 AM

So I have had an incredibly stressful week and to end it all I had someone tell me that I will be so pretty when I lose the weight. So here goes I am not losing weight to be skinny I LIKE MYSELF a lot actually. I am confident in my skin, I love my hair, my smile, I love who I am all of me. I am not losing weight to be a certain size, or to fit a pair of pants. I am losing weight strictly for my health. At this point in my life I am healthy all tests are in all the right ranges nothing pre I am very fortunate, but I am an educated woman and I understand that genetics can only take me so far. It is time that I start helping out my genetics to prevent potential catastrophes.

Now I am not condemning those who are losing weight with the goal of a certain pair of butt hugging jeans, I am noting that we are all motivated by something different. Just like we are all discouraged by different things. What I am saying is ummmm have you seen me I am beautiful, and losing weight is not going to change that I am beautiful now at a size 20, I will be beautiful at a size 24, or a size 12. I enjoy my life now as it is and as I lose weight I know I will find different enjoyments and that is ok, I am open to change, I am open to a new experience.

For all the beautiful people losing weight to show off their curves I salute you, for those that are losing weight to relieve the pain in their joints I applaud you, for those that are losing weight to be healthy I cheer for you. Most of all I think each of you is on your own path and you started off beautiful and you will end beautiful!

Start 1/6/14 #283
1/13/14 #275 -8
1/20/14 #272 -3
1/27/14 #270 -2
2/3/14 #269 -1
2/10/14 #269 -0
2/17/14 #265.5 -3.5
2/24/14 #263.8 -1.8
3/3/14 #262.8 -1.0
3/10/14 #261.4 -1.4
3/17/14 #259.6 -1.8
3/24/14 #258.6 -1
3/28/14 #257.2 -1.4
4/4/14 #257.0 -.2
4/11/14 #256.6 -.4

4/25/14 #253.4 -3.2

5/2/14 #254.2  +.8

5/9/14 #252.0  -2.2

#2 jwaters49

jwaters49

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:20 AM

totally agreed!
:mellow:

Memorial Day Challenge:
weight.png

weight.png

#3 jwaters49

jwaters49

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

Just had a snarky thought:
That person would be so great if they just weren't so rude :lol:

Memorial Day Challenge:
weight.png

weight.png

#4 sandooch

sandooch

Gif fanatic ♥

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:39 AM

Wow, very well said! And I agree with it all. It never amazes me how rude some people can be to say such a cruel thing, and I'm sure in her mind she thought she was giving you a compliment. :rolleyes:

When I was younger, it was all about looking hot in a bikini. These days it is all about health. I already have perfect blood pressure and cholesterol, but I want to keep it that way. I also want to help my joints out by not putting all that weight on them anymore, too, and since losing so much weight, I ache so much less than I used to. :D I'm also thinking into the future where I want to be able to have the strength and endurance to play with any grandkids I may have.

My bikini days are well behind me. I dress for my age now, but that doesn't mean I won't be able to rock a cute one-piece suit one day. I think we should always have goals to shoot for, whatever they may be, as long as they are healthy goals and are realistic. This time around, I'm being totally realistic and know what my body can and cannot do.

Again, loved this post, happyday. You are more than beautiful to me...you are stunningly beautiful, inside AND out!

3tKH.gif

jack_o_lantern13.gif Join the Spooktacular Halloween Challenge here:http://community.jen...lenge★☾★/ jack_o_lantern13.gif

PicMonkeyCollageEaster2014_zps4c7943c9.j

If you hate starting over...STOP giving up!!!

#5 dijarm

dijarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:54 AM

I like your post. I'm glad your doing it for your health and not for a pair of jeans or for someone else (such as a man).
I'm jealous that at size 20 you like yourself and feel confident. I never felt confident at a plus size, avoided social situations and felt awkward and overlooked. I'm so glad that weight loss has changed all of that for me and that I have a new lease on life. I never had health problems and yet was motivated to lose to make sure that weight would never create any and to have the opportunity to have energy and be active for my daughter. I want to see her grow up, and not from the side lines.
So for those of you who are feeling the way I did, there is a light at the end of the tunnel that is waiting for you to be all you can be. Take each day one at a time and set your mini goals until you reach your ultimate goal.

Started March 10, 2011
height-5'7
sw-195
1st goal-170
2nd goal-150 Aug. 2011 and still lost more!
maintenance weight-145

3 YEARS OF MAINTENANCE!! WHOOHOO!

http://i1090.photobu...an/Untitled.jpg[/img]P1020021.jpg

#6 SonyaCele

SonyaCele

Sonya

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:08 PM

i also envy that you are comfortable and feel beautiful the way you are. And from your prof pic, you are very beautiful. I was never able to be comfortable overweight, i hated my body and i tried and tried to have a better positive image, but when i looked int he mirror all i saw was a woman that had given up caring about herself . I never dressed up or did my hair or makeup. I always felt why bother caring about what i'm wearing if i dont care about my body and weight? I thought people would stare at me and say i'm wasting my time dressing up, its not doing any good. I guess that was super low self esteem , but i tried to get comfortable, and never could. I was embarrassed going out in public like i was the fattest person in the room and everyone was staring.

anyways, to answer your question what did i lose for... i'll admit i lost for looks which probably translates to losing for increased self esteem also. I was not unhealthy at my heaviest , so i wasn't even aware of the health risks or that losing would make me so much healthier. I was in physical pain though, just from carrying the weight, my whole body hurt, and i'd eat so much my stomach was constantly miserable and stretched. I didn't even like it when my bf hugged me cause it hurt. I was also a drunk and drank every day and was out of control. So i also thought losing weight would help me with my drinking problem since i'd have to quit drinking to lose weigh. And it did help. My life has completely changed, completely.

I'm sorry someone said you will be so pretty when you lose weight, thats not tactful at all. You are already very pretty. I would never say that to someone . But you know what, after seeing so many before and afters of pretty women, i can tell you that your face (and body) will completely change , and you wont even be recognizable. There is totally different just as beautiful women hiding in there and i think you will be pretty excited when you see her start to come out. Take lots of pictures on your journey, it will be a fun one for you.

When you look in the mirror and see no change, and still keep faith, knowing that in time you will get there if you stay focused and on track, that's the difference between those who succeed and those who fail.

5'4", 46 years old, start date 7/18/2012 236.4 lbs, i work out a lot.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 happyday25

happyday25

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:37 PM

Thanks for all the lovely complements guys! Dijarm no need to be jealous it took me a few times to get my confidence a few right turns so to speak to counter some of the wrong turns :) I have been skinny I have been "fat" I have been bigger than I am now, and what I have discovered is that I never changed my outside did but I didn't when I accepted that I accepted my outsides as well and that is where the confidence just boomed!!! But it is different for every person, but once you have that confidence it just continues to grow even when someone tries to cut it down

Start 1/6/14 #283
1/13/14 #275 -8
1/20/14 #272 -3
1/27/14 #270 -2
2/3/14 #269 -1
2/10/14 #269 -0
2/17/14 #265.5 -3.5
2/24/14 #263.8 -1.8
3/3/14 #262.8 -1.0
3/10/14 #261.4 -1.4
3/17/14 #259.6 -1.8
3/24/14 #258.6 -1
3/28/14 #257.2 -1.4
4/4/14 #257.0 -.2
4/11/14 #256.6 -.4

4/25/14 #253.4 -3.2

5/2/14 #254.2  +.8

5/9/14 #252.0  -2.2

#8 GwenJ

GwenJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:55 PM

I also am one that has never been comfortable with my appearance. I never looked in the mirror because I hated the way my body “hung”. Clothes shopping was pointless because everything looked the exact same way. It hung off my body like a trash bag. I avoided being in the public spotlight because I didn’t want my photo in the paper. Even my wedding album is full of other people, not near as many as me. I think out of the 900 taken I found 8 that had me in it that I thought “Well that’s not bad”. Pretty sad. It wasn’t until my mom said that she wanted to lose weight and she needed help. She needed the buddy system. Reluctantly I went. And my life has changed completely. When I started Jenny I remember being THRILLED with myself that I rode the bike machine for 15 minutes then walked a mile. I was worn out and tired afterward, but I was ecstatic over it. Now when we don’t hit 3 miles I feel kind of sad. I still have a lot of weight to lose but it’s coming off in time.

Why did I want to lose it? Because I was never happy with “me”. The happiest I ever felt in my life was when I went to the personal trainer. Loved every moment of it. So I figured if I could get back to that place, I’d start to feel better about myself. But I was too fat to even go to a personal trainer. Sure I could go but it would just be me on a tredmill. I wanted to lose some weight and become more physically fit before hitting it again. That way I don’t embarrass myself by not being able to even sit up off the floor. Because being honest, I still have trouble doing that.

I don’t understand why some people have to be so negative. One of my former good friends has done nothing but make negative comments to me about my entire Jenny Craig experience. Everything from “Oh I can’t tell you’ve lost 75 lbs” “when is the diet fad going to end?” I am convinced that she is just threatened that she will no longer have her fat friend. The one she could go out to eat with and feel good about herself. But that’s her issue, not mine.

zfEEm6.png 

Year 1 total loss: 127 lbs

Summer Slim Down

Goal: 16 lbs

Finish 6K in 50 minutes

W1: -0.4 lbs

W2: -3.8 lbs

W3: -3.6 lbs

W4: -2.2 lbs

W5: +1.0 lbs

W6: No WI

W7: -5.2 lbs

W8: No WI

Total: -14.2 lbs

#9 jwaters49

jwaters49

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:08 PM

Gwen, I'd say you nailed your former friend pretty well... Keep going for what makes YOU happy. If someone can't support you fat or thing, they don't deserve to have you in their life... :)

Memorial Day Challenge:
weight.png

weight.png

#10 laura55

laura55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:21 PM

I too never felt comfortable when I was heavy, never looked at myself below my chin when I was near a mirror, avoided the camera so there are very few pictures of me out there! I hated getting dressed because I knew that the clothes I wore were tight and definitely not flattering. I felt unattractive and didn't enjoy socializing, even with family! So the main reason I wanted to lose weight is to get to a weight where I loved getting dressed in the morning and could look at myself full length in the mirror...where I enjoyed getting out and talking to people and wanted to feel self confident and enjoy life again.
I wanted to be able to walk without huffing and puffing and was tired of feeling tired all the time...
Thanks for this post....I am a different person now and even though I'm not at goal yet I have accomplished what I was going for! I am loving life again.

And you are beautiful!
Beginning Weight 5/17/2013: 208 lbs
Goal Weight: whatever I weigh in on 8/08/14 will be it!

6/06/14. 148.1
6/13/14. 147.9
6/20/14. 146.5
6/27/14. 146.2. (6 weeks to goal!)
7/11/14. 145.2. (4 weeks to goal!)
7/25/14. 144.2 (2 weeks to goal!)
8/08/14. 143.6. GOAL!

8/29/14. 139.7 Maintaining between 138.7-140.4 for the last couple of weeks..gonna try and maintain@ 139-140 lbs.

Isaiah 40:31

It is never too late to be who you might have been. ~George Eliot

#11 seashoresuzi

seashoresuzi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

Gwen....People can be so hurtful. I had a coworker (she was size 2 or 4) who would breeze into my office wearing something new, spin around and say, "Does this make me look fat?" I asked around and found she never asked that of anyone else, just me...the person who weighed twice what she did. At first I thought she was just being insensitive. As time went by, I found she had special "digs" for different people. Maybe it was a lack of confidence and that kind of behavior was her way of saying "I'm better then you". You may find that your friend shows her mean girl side to others with a special twist depending on the recipient. Even knowing that, it was still hurtful when my coworker played her little mean game on me. But here I am on JC now, making my health a priority and feeling so positive and excited about it. (Plus, my kids love me like crazy, and there's nothing more precious than that....and I found out that her kids hate her and that she goes to their houses and they won't even answer their doors. Guess they got much worse from her than I did.) We can lose the weight, eat well and get healthy. Those people have issues that are probably lots harder to fix. Sooo, awesome for all of us because we can love ourselves enough to be on this wonderful journey to health, with all the little treasures and happy dances along the way!

Cate

weight.png

Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right. - Henry Ford

flagwaves.gif Memorial Day Challenge:

Challenge SW: 195.2

Challenge GW: 187.2

Actual Challenge W:  186.4

fireworks_4th_7.gif

July 4th Challenge:

Challenge SW:  186.4

Challenge GW:  178.0

Start date: 1/15/14
SW: 222.8
GW: 125

Day 1 Start Wt: 222.8                     Week 13: -2.2 = 195.2
Week 1: -3.0 = 219.8                      Week 14:  - .6 = 194.6
Week 2: -2.8 = 217.0                      Week 15: -  Vaca - no WI
Week 3: -3.0 = 214.0                      Week 16: -  Vaca - no WI
Week 4: -2.8 = 211.2                      Week 17: -5.0 = 189.6
Week 5: -1.6 = 209.6                      Week 18: -3.2 = 186.4
Week 6: -1.6 = 208.0                      Week 19: -2.4 = 184.0
Week 7: -2.6 = 205.4
Week 8: -2.0 = 203.4
Week 9: -1.2 = 202.2
Week 10:-1.8 = 200.4
Week 11 -2.6 = 197.8
Week 12: -.4 = 197.4

#12 GwenJ

GwenJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:26 PM

You are doing awesome Laura! Almost at 50 lbs. That's fantastic!!

Exactly Waters. It took me a long time but I finally realized she is just negativity and I deserve better than that.

zfEEm6.png 

Summer Slim Down

Finish 6K in 50 minutes

#13 GwenJ

GwenJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:31 PM

That is so true Suzi! You can drop weight and change your clothing style. Even get a new haircut or makeup. But that’s all cosmetic. There is nothing you can do about being an awful person. You can look yourself in the eye every morning and love the person that you are. She can’t. Love who you are, regardless of your weight. The lbs will come off in time. Eat healthy, exercise, love your life, love those that are in it, and enjoy every day. Her hateful attitude is her issue, not yours. J

zfEEm6.png 

Summer Slim Down

Finish 6K in 50 minutes

#14 melbarrymore

melbarrymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:20 PM

I love this topic- thanks for starting it.

Even at my heaviest weight, my BP and cholesterol were perfect too. Was pretty active and always dressed for my body, so nobody had any idea of just how much I actually weighed. Because of all this, I was in denial that I was spiralling out of control and needed to do something about it before it really did some major damage.

Concidentally, my 40th was 6 months away from when I started on JC, and that was my goal: "Fit By 40". While I may not be at my goal #-wise, I have achieved what I was after- just being in a healthier space and feeling better. Even dropping 35 lbs and 16 inches off my chest, tummy, and hips, I can see a huge difference in how I look and feel. I'm getting close to the point where I have to decide for me whether losing more is just abt a # or vanity, or if I really truly need to. I am toned and fit and love my new body.

While I have never been targeted or tormented for being over-weight, I was never even the "fat friend" as I did and still do have friends bigger than me- I don't judge. I can say that there has been a lot of jealousy since I've lost the weight and bought new more form-fitting clothing. Some people pretend to be happy, some don't acknowledge it at all, and some down-right try to sabotoge you by saying: "losing the weight is the easy part. let's see you keep it off". Well I have no doubt maintenance will be difficult and involve life long changes, but no-one can say losing the weight was "easy".

That being said, I have some great support too. Just the other day one of my friends told me that I was always pretty, but now I'm just more confortable in my own skin and it looks good on me. I hope everybody has some people in their lives like that too.

Cheers to everyone for deciding on and making a committment to change, whatever your reason. :)

Posted Image

#15 FaizaYagi

FaizaYagi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:25 PM

I love you all... nuff said! I think I really started this journey for a few reasons... first I was always happy but I used to be athletic. Still bigger than other girls my age but muscular too but when I stopped playing sports is when my body started changing to ways I didn't like. But after having my daughter I just kept gaining and I thought back to all the things I saw growing up with my own mom and grandmother... how we treat food, how we treated ourselves... little put downs in the dressing room, etc. etc. I don't want my daughter to see me struggle with that and if I had kept going... she surely would have seen me cry in a changing room just like I saw my own mom. So, I changed for the future... to be a good example and to feel like my old athletic self again. Which after my 2 hour hip hop class last night... I'm definitely feeling the aches and pains of an athlete. But I also feel that healthy glow again

Total Loss 85.2 Prior to pregnancy in 2013

My Weight Loss/Life Journey Blog: http://jessicafaiza.blogspot.com

Start weight Sept. 2012: 271.4 lbs

Weight prior to pregnancy 2014: 187.2

Jessica "Faiza" Yagi

1157666_10101584879974698_870074806_n.jp

1504087_10101458953926508_1656941785_n.j

#16 happyday25

happyday25

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:12 PM

Faiza you go girl I love love what you are doing! Keep it up and get your fitness on

Start 1/6/14 #283
1/13/14 #275 -8
1/20/14 #272 -3
1/27/14 #270 -2
2/3/14 #269 -1
2/10/14 #269 -0
2/17/14 #265.5 -3.5
2/24/14 #263.8 -1.8
3/3/14 #262.8 -1.0
3/10/14 #261.4 -1.4
3/17/14 #259.6 -1.8
3/24/14 #258.6 -1
3/28/14 #257.2 -1.4
4/4/14 #257.0 -.2
4/11/14 #256.6 -.4

4/25/14 #253.4 -3.2

5/2/14 #254.2  +.8

5/9/14 #252.0  -2.2

#17 Carrid

Carrid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

I love this post. Like Happyday, I don't have a lot of self-esteem issues associated with my weight. I think I'm pretty, strong, smart, etc., and that hasn't been much different at any weight I've been. I didn't feel much different at my lowest weight than I do now.

What has motivated me is growing older and starting to deal with some of the consequences that come with too much weight. In my mind, I'm still that spry 30 year old, but when I needed to climb up to hang the Halloween decorations last year, I had to get a ladder instead of hopping up on the railing. Why? Too much weight and knee pain. My mom (now 85) has had two hip and one knee replacement. And she still uses a walker and a wheelchair to get around. That's my future if I don't turn things around (maybe my future anyway, but losing weight improves my odds).
Started January 18, 2014
Start weight: 278
Goal 1: 10% of body weight (27.8 lbs) (138 lbs was too much to contemplate all at once)
Calorie level: 1500

#18 happyday25

happyday25

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:53 AM

Carrid Good for you we have similar starting weight and in truth I don't know what I want to get down to, so for right now I set my goal at 250 and when I reach that I will set another goal. From experience I don't feel comfortable going down past 180 When I was younger I was 145 and friends and family thought I was anorexic because my face started to cave and my bones where very visible the nutritionist I was seeing said that for my height and build I should have been about 125, my mom took me to the Dr (it was a whole intervention thing no I was not anorexic I followed the stupid plan to the T) and the Dr told me to put 15 pounds on (I had started to loose my period) and my hair was starting to fall out :huh: I put on the 15 plus a little extra and felt amazing so healthy I could run the mile, and do all the sports with out being winded and I could do it without being exhausted it was a good size for me then but who knows what that size will be now

Start 1/6/14 #283
1/13/14 #275 -8
1/20/14 #272 -3
1/27/14 #270 -2
2/3/14 #269 -1
2/10/14 #269 -0
2/17/14 #265.5 -3.5
2/24/14 #263.8 -1.8
3/3/14 #262.8 -1.0
3/10/14 #261.4 -1.4
3/17/14 #259.6 -1.8
3/24/14 #258.6 -1
3/28/14 #257.2 -1.4
4/4/14 #257.0 -.2
4/11/14 #256.6 -.4

4/25/14 #253.4 -3.2

5/2/14 #254.2  +.8

5/9/14 #252.0  -2.2

#19 GwenJ

GwenJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:00 AM

That's a great goal to start out with Happy! My goal right now is 200 lbs. Lets get there then figure out where I'm going to drop to. I think for my height and build the calculator thing said 175 to 190. So 200 is a good starting point.

Something I do find amusing, the “friend” I was talking about above, she asked me to go to lunch with her back in December. But it didn’t work into my meal plan that week or the next week. I had other obligations that were taking up my one non-Jenny meal and I refuse to go off plan unless it’s an emergency or special situation if it’s going to take me to 2 non-Jenny meals in a given week. She got snotty with me about it but said fine, we’ll go that week I had mentioned. So I asked which date worked better, never heard back. That was two months ago and she has not spoken a word to me since. I never heard back on the date so I just didn’t contact her at all. It’s funny how that works. I try to better myself and others feel threatened. She eats healthy almost all the time, works out 5 days a week, in great physical shape. You’d think she would get it. But apparently I’m only good as her fat friend when she wants to eat bad. I offer healthy options and she doesn’t want to go to lunch anymore. It’s ok though, she may have the better body but she is filled with ugly on the inside. Working through this weight loss really makes me appreciate other people and their struggles a lot more.

zfEEm6.png 

Summer Slim Down

Finish 6K in 50 minutes

#20 Carrid

Carrid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:46 PM

When I was in grad school, I lost a bunch of weight. I think I got down to 133 lbs (I'm 5'7). At that point my upper body was getting pretty bony--prominent collar bone, etc. But I'm very pear-shaped, and my thighs still didn't look anything like I wanted them to. But I realized that all the dieting in the world wasn't going to change my body type. It wasn't going to give me the proportions of a supermodel (dang it), which I think would require adding inches to my height besides making my lower body proportional to my upper body. I had to come to grips with what dieting could and could not accomplish. It also doesn't automatically instill self-confidence or a more sociable personality. (This should not be a surprise to anyone, but I say it in case someone is counting on weight loss to change all facets of their life, as I apparently subconsciously was).
Started January 18, 2014
Start weight: 278
Goal 1: 10% of body weight (27.8 lbs) (138 lbs was too much to contemplate all at once)
Calorie level: 1500

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users