Photo

4 years maintained within 5 lbs. of goal weight.....change in lifestyle and struggling

stop smoking christmas food

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 buddhadoll

buddhadoll

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

Dear Jenny comrades. Quit smoking in sept. Slowly gained 7 lbs and struggling. Started Jenny about 2 mos ago and not losing. Lost about 3 lbs. And go up and down. Tough this time of year. Since my daily cal. Before stopping smoking was 1200, l am maintaining my weight gain. Guess just need a little encouragement as this is a slow moving process. I am 55 and trying hard. I get bored and snack too much.
Thanks

#2 FaizaYagi

FaizaYagi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:00 PM

Welcome back. You can do this! You've identified the problem of snacking too much now its time to find a solution. Change up your snacks... try and stick with free items (pre cut veggies) you can make a lower cal ranch dip out of cottage cheese by putting a container of cottage cheese in a food processor with one pack of dry ranch mix. 1/2 cup = 90 calories and its a lot of dip. Sugar free popsicles and broth are my go to snacks. I quit smoking as well and it's hard so GREAT job!!!

Total Loss 85.2 Prior to pregnancy in 2013

My Weight Loss/Life Journey Blog: http://jessicafaiza.blogspot.com

Start weight Sept. 2012: 271.4 lbs

Weight prior to pregnancy 2014: 187.2

Jessica "Faiza" Yagi

1157666_10101584879974698_870074806_n.jp

1504087_10101458953926508_1656941785_n.j

#3 GwenJ

GwenJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:01 PM

I feel your pain. Quitting smoking can be very difficult on the weight loss path. I quit 8 weeks ago and my weight floundered for about 6 of those. Mostly from snacking. What are you snacking on? I've learned to start keeping a container of chopped celery in the fridge. When I want to "bored snack" I will pull it out and start munching. Is it the yummy chips or (in my case) honey baked ham? No. But at least I'm not packing on the calories. That's just what works for me.

I've also figured out some snacks to have in the afternoon that really keep me satisfied. I make 110 cal packs of pretzel crisps (everything flavor) and a wedge of Sonoma parm and cracked pepper cheese. Awesome burst of flavor and it keeps me full for the rest of the afternoon.

zfEEm6.png 

Year 1 total loss: 127 lbs

Halloween Challenge

Goal: 16lbs

W1: -3.4 lbs

W2: -3.4 lbs

W3: -1.4 lbs

W4: -2.6 lbs

W5: -1.8 lbs

Total -12.6 lbs

#4 buddhadoll

buddhadoll

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:59 AM

Thank you ladies for you reply and snack ideas. It is great to get a response to my issues.

#5 HeathernpG

HeathernpG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:28 AM

Obviously quitting smoking is one of the best things you can do to improve your health! I think it's important to give yourself a HUGE pat on the back for quitting! I am a nurse practitioner and I always talk to my smoking cessation patients about exercise. Not sure if you already exercise, but it can be so rewarding to get out and fill your lungs with fresh air. Maybe it would be the boost you need for weight loss.

#6 Brend

Brend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:43 PM

I'm having a hard time with maintenance. Seems I'm an all or nothing girl. If I stick strickly to the plan I'm fine. Give in to a snack and it becomes 2 or 3. Going back to journaling and tracking on MFP to see just how many extras I'm having. Portions for meals are fine. Its the popcorn, candy and cake that's getting me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users