76 replies to this topic

#1 sandooch

sandooch

Gif fanatic ♥

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:37 PM

I used to be very big into it several years ago, doing it 5 days a week for 9 months straight. I got into great shape with it too. Then life happened and one day off lead to another then another...well, you know the story.

Any way, I'm interested in doing a boot camp of sorts: 5 days a week of both Step Away The Inches and Basic Workout Plus. I want to do this for 5 weeks because I'll be going to the Ellen Degeneres show and want to be at least one size down by then.

Anyone want to join me in a 5-week challenge? You don't have to do T-Tapp. Any workout will do. Come on...I need a good kick in the tuckus to get me pumped to get my workout done first thing in the morning instead of lollygagging all day long and doing it (sometimes) way later in the day.

Who's with me? Posted Image

2Kp1.gif

weight.png

usa2.gifJoin the Memorial Day Challenge here: http://community.jen...llenge&-10031;/ usa2.gif

Memorial Day Challenge

3 T-Tapp workouts a week

Frontcollage_zpse52ae9c4.jpg?t=139624712

If you hate starting over...STOP giving up!!!

#2 SonyaCele

SonyaCele

Sonya

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:32 PM

I dont know what t-tapp is but it sounds great! This is my last week of a 6 week lifting program i'm on, i'm taking a week off to heal all my aches and pains and then i start the next 6 week program. So i'll definately keep on you about getting your workout done!!! Oh, and my week off isn't a week off of doing nothing, its just a week off of the program, i'll still be at the gym, we are doing metabolic conditioning , yoga, core work , etc for the week and then i'm back to heavy lifting for 6 more weeks. I get cranky if i miss a workout , you should get cranky if you dont workout too, that way everyone around you will support you getting it done so they dont have to deal with the crankiness.

When you look in the mirror and see no change, and still keep faith, knowing that in time you will get there if you stay focused and on track, that's the difference between those who succeed and those who fail.

5'4", 46 years old, start date 7/18/2012 236.4 lbs, i work out a lot.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 sandooch

sandooch

Gif fanatic ♥

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:47 PM

LOL...I wish I did get cranky, Sonya. Instead I just get mopy and disappointed with myself. Your workout sounds brutal, but I commend you for doing that. You must be in awesome shape. I used to love to lift heavy, too, but after a strange injury mishap several years ago, it left the left side of my body permanently in pain, so lifting anything over 10 pounds repeatedly with my left arm causes a lot of pain.

With T-Tapp you only use your body weight and isometric contractions for resistance. You can check it out here: http://www.ttapp.com/. On the very top of that page on the left-hand side there are some "try before you buy" exercises. Just looking at them, they look sooo easy, but you are actually working at least 6 different muscle groups at once with each exercise. It's not a workout that your just move around and throw your arms around all willy nilly; you really have to concentrate and tense several muscle groups at once. It took me a long time to get my form correct. Before I knew what I was doing, I hardly broke a sweat or was out of breath and didn't lose any inches the first few weeks. I thought I had just wasted a lot of money on those DVDs.

Then I started to work with a trainer and she pointed out all the things I was doing wrong. What a difference! I was sweating buckets and out of breath like I had just completed an hour workout...and I was only working out maybe 20 minutes. And the inches began to melt!

That's the cool thing about this workout; many people lose 1-2 dress sizes and very little, if any, weight. So I'm thinking that if I combine JC with T-Tapp for 5 weeks I can at the very least lose one dress size...possibly two!

Just to show you what T-Tapp did for me in 2006 when I was doing it for 9 months, this is what I looked like a year before starting (but to be fair, I weighed 204 here and started T-tapp at around 165 pounds. But I wasn't exercising while getting down to 165 and had a lot of loose, flabby skin as you can see):

Posted ImagePosted Image

And this is after 9 months of T-Tapp:

Posted ImagePosted Image

I know that had I continued I would have tightened up even more, but I was so happy that my tummy apron lifted so much with this program.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting back there again, or at least close to it since that was 7 years ago. lol

Thanks for getting on me. I do thrive on that tough love, just so you know. And knowing that you'll be keeping tabs on me, I will make certain to get my workout in every day Monday through Friday in the morning before getting on the computer. I got it in today, even though it was late and it was tough, but I feel so great right now.

I'll check in tomorrow after my workout, sarge! ;)

2Kp1.gif

weight.png

usa2.gifJoin the Memorial Day Challenge here: http://community.jen...llenge&-10031;/ usa2.gif

Memorial Day Challenge

3 T-Tapp workouts a week

#4 SonyaCele

SonyaCele

Sonya

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:20 AM

well dang, if T-Tapp is gonna do that to a body, i'm definatly gonna look into it! nice work, you can do it again for sure! I'll be bugging you to get your workout in each day.
My workout today is at noon,. Its chest day for me i'll be spending about an hour on the bench press and then a half hour doing pullups and some other torturous things. And after work i'm gonna make an attempt at another mile run, and see how my knee holds out. And i'm gnona squeeze in my 40 second plank for the november plank challenge.
Have you heard of the Insanity workout? A lot of people are doing that these days, too. Lots of cardio and body weight, it seems to be the popular one going around. I havent' tried it yet, but i want to.

When you look in the mirror and see no change, and still keep faith, knowing that in time you will get there if you stay focused and on track, that's the difference between those who succeed and those who fail.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 sandooch

sandooch

Gif fanatic ♥

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:12 AM

Private Sandy reporting for duty! :D

Got my workout in this morning! I didn't feel like doing it (just like yesterday), but then I thought about you checking in on me and got my butt into gear. :) This is going to be a hard challenge. The two dvds alone are a total of 40 minutes, but I also add in some additional arm and ab exercises from other T-Tapp dvds and a few Callanetics exercises, too, which brings my workout up to an hour. That used to be nothing for me to do in my heavy workout days, but when you're in constant pain and haven't worked out in a while, it's pretty exhausting. But I love it!

I have to ask...why do you spend a whole hour on just doing bench presses? Do you enter contests for this?

And, yes, I've seen the demos for the Insanity workouts. If I remember correctly, there is a lot of plyometrics and jumping in it, right? I can't do those because of the pain in my left leg, unfortunately. But it does look like a killer intense workout.

Thanks again for keeping me accountable, Sonya!

2Kp1.gif

weight.png

Memorial Day Challenge

3 T-Tapp workouts a week

#6 SonyaCele

SonyaCele

Sonya

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:00 AM

good for you 40 minutes!!! and you can and should do it. 60 minutes is even better. soon it will get addicting, and as you probably know from before, its only hard the first couple weeks or so , after your body gets adjusted to using muscles it hasn't used for a while, it gets super easy and fun.

oh yeah chest day today... yeah it takes about an hour to get through all the sets. Today I do flat benchpress, and then incline. I do 12 sets , what takes so long is the resting between sets, so there is a lot of standing around chit chatting. I haven't competed yet but i want to, in power lifting. I'm really high drive and love to push myself to my personal best and beyond. and i do love competing, so i'll push myself until i win a ribbon or get injured .. which ever comes first. I've been totally amazed at how powerful our bodies are way stronger than we even know. Finding that muscle strength requires breaking through mental barries and i love that mental challenge as much as the physical.

So whats up with your leg?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Yo_Momz

Yo_Momz

~ Kyra ~

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:10 AM

WOW Sandy! What amazing pictures! I'm looking into T-Tapp now! holy cow!

kyrarwb_zpsa291ab85.jpg

weight.png

#8 LosingLinds

LosingLinds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

Sandy, I will join this exercise challenge!!! I'm doing Insanity, and I need motivation to stick with it!! I completed the first week, then because of TOM, bad cramps, other lame excuses, etc, I haven't done it for the last four days! I need to keep going and would love a buddy to help me keep accountable. Let's do it!!

Something I've been struggling with (and maybe you or Sonya have some advice) is that I've heard so many people say when they start a hard workout program they stop losing weight. That just terrifies me because I have 40+ pounds to lose, I can't stop losing! I know people can lose inches and not weight but I need both! I know my fear about this is iirational but I can't shake it. Part of me wants to just stop working out so the scale will move (I've been plateaud for several weeks now) but I also know deep down I need exercise to be truly fit and healthy in body and mind.

ps - Insanity is a super fun, intense workout, but you're right that it has a ton of jumping in it. I think it would be difficult for anyone with knee or other pain issues. Shaun T. is awesome though. I wonder if he has other lower impact workouts you could try?
~Lindsey

Posted Image

#9 LosingLinds

LosingLinds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:13 AM

Also Sandy your before & after pics are incredible! You're so pretty. :)
~Lindsey

Posted Image

#10 SonyaCele

SonyaCele

Sonya

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:26 AM

whoever told you that a hard exercise program will stop you from losing weight is crazy. You might show a slight gain on the scale occasionally if you work hard and your body retains some water while your muscles recouperate, but thats just temp water retention. But you will keep burning fat with exercise. The only reason you would stop losing is if you ate a whole lot more food. Some people suggest eating some extra protein and a few hundred extra calories to fuel your workout. Thats somethign to think about. But if you are in a calorie deficit, you will continue lose weight.
You should do the insanity program all the way through, i think you'll be happy with the results regardless of what the scale says. I've seen some crazy before and afters, it really tones you up. and exercise makes endorphins which make us happy all the time.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 sandooch

sandooch

Gif fanatic ♥

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:39 PM

I agree with Sonya, Lindsey. At the beginning of a heavy workout program when your muscles are sore, you may hold on to my water weight as it helps to repair those muscles. But it is only temporary. The more muscle you add, though, the smaller you look and you will eventually burn more calories daily just because it takes so many more calories each day to keep muscle alive than it does to keep fat alive. It's a great payoff for sure!

Sonya, it's not just my left leg, it's the whole left side of my body that has been in pain for the last 6-7 years (lost count a long time ago). It started with what I thought was a heart attack because I was stretching my arms over my head in bed one night, talking to my husband when I suddenly was hit with what felt like a jolt of electric current shoot up my arm and my chest. I couldn't breath for at least 15 seconds (felt way longer) and was scared sh!tless. When I came out of it, I was dripping in sweat and my husband was as white as a ghost. We went to the emergency room, convinced I had had a heart attack, but the EKG showed I hadn't. That followed a year of extensive tests and therapy for me because I had excruciating pain on my whole left side of my body every since. All these test, some of which painful themselves, showed only a pinched nerve and an MRI showed a compressed disc but nothing that would be causing the pain I have on a daily basis. After a year of all this, I just said screw it! Nothing was coming from it and I was spending a lot of money on trying to get help for it. I will say that the pain is not half as bad now as it used to be, but if I lift anything more than 10 pounds with my left arm or even keep my arm or leg bent for more than a couple of minutes, the pain gets worse. I guess I am a medical mystery. LOL

But, luckily, T-Tapp has only caused me a little discomfort while doing it, not too bad really. Who know, though! It's said to be rehabilitative, so it may just help my pain down the line. Posted Image

Thank you all for the compliments, too. Looking at those pictures of me in that bikini help to motivate me, too. I should print them out and stick them on my desk, so that I can look at them daily and get fired up to get back there again. Although, with 7 years gone by, things may be a little harder to spring back into place. ;)

2Kp1.gif

weight.png

Memorial Day Challenge

3 T-Tapp workouts a week

#12 LosingLinds

LosingLinds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:49 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your pain Sandy. That sounds terrible, but good for you for finding a way to live with it and to keep getting healthy despite all that. I hope it continues to get better!

Thanks for the encouragement you guys! I know you're 100% right. I need to get over it. I really want to finish Insanity so I'll be back at it tomorrow morning (maybe even tonight if I can manage to do it with my 2 year old in the room.) ;)
~Lindsey

Posted Image

#13 kristinamdillon

kristinamdillon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:52 PM

I've never heard of it, but after seeing your photos I'm going to have to look into it. That's a bikini body if I've ever seen one, holy cow!

KRISTINA

SW: 177.6

CW:
GW: 150.0

#14 SonyaCele

SonyaCele

Sonya

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:11 PM

ouch that pain does sound kinda not so fun. i'm sorry you have to deal with that. did a chiro take care of the pinched nerve? i had siatica before, my whole left side was in excrutiating pain, it took some time but chiro adjustments eventually took care of it. and then i learned to self adjust , which i do almost daily. but it took like 6 years before i woke up pain free for the first time. I hope it gets better for you.

So i just got back from my workout, there ended up being a field trip at the gym so we had a crowd of totally uninteresetd pre-teens watching us. I work out with two other guys and our trainer. Then i had to do questions and answers, and none of them cared. I told them i wish i learned about healthy eating and exercise at their age. So i did my good deed for the day. And my core is a little sore, from bench pressing. its crazy but when done right, bench pressing is a full body workout.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 sandooch

sandooch

Gif fanatic ♥

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:23 PM

Those darn pre-teens don't know what's good for them. Thirty years from now they'll wish they had listened to what you had to say a little more closely. Awesome job on getting that workout in. I love it when I can get my core sore. Speaking of which, every muscle in my body is killing me. Weird how day two of this bootcamp is proving to cause more soreness than day one did. But I love it all the same. Soon I'll start feeling that muscle developing, and as I keep losing more weight, I'll actually see it! Posted Image

LIndsey, good going getting that Insanity workout in. I know it's hard when you have little ones under foot.

Kristina and Kyra, hope to see you two join this challenge soon. It's really been giving me the push I needed.

2Kp1.gif

weight.png

Memorial Day Challenge

3 T-Tapp workouts a week

#16 sandooch

sandooch

Gif fanatic ♥

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:48 AM

Sonya, I need to ask your advice about my workout today. This morning I woke up feeling like I was hit by a bus. I am so sore everywhere and can barely move. What do you suggest I do this morning? Keep doing both dvds? Just do one? Just go for a long walk? Rest? Posted Image I'm thinking I may have pushed my body too far too fast and I don't want to burn out. Not looking for an easy out, believe me, I just want to do this the best and healthiest way possible. Suggestions?

2Kp1.gif

weight.png

Memorial Day Challenge

3 T-Tapp workouts a week

#17 SonyaCele

SonyaCele

Sonya

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:08 PM

ooh you poor thing! you should stretch , maybe take the day off from actual workout for a little recovery? this is probalby the most sore you will be, the first day of anything new. I have lots of recovery and rest days built into my program, they are important. But its important to not let recovery days be an excuse to quit. If you do take today off, make sure you are back on it again tomorrow. And use today to stretch, massage your sore muscles, probably lots of walking. I run and walk a lot of my recovery days, and i do yoga. In fact i just got back from an hour of yoga , today i'm on full body recovery day. I'll run tonight and another half hour of stretching.
you wont be this sore again, its just the first few days of any program that make you sore. it means its working!! good job!
My chest is sore today.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 sandooch

sandooch

Gif fanatic ♥

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:29 PM

I think you're right; I need to rest my body today. It even hurts too much to lift my arms to shoulder level. I REALLY tightened up hard with every move yesterday, which is why I think I'm feeling it more after the second day than the first where I only slightly tighten up, fearing I would hurt myself if I pushed too hard. And here I go doing it on day two. Doh! I really do love to feel sore, but when it's this sore, it's not the good kind. Thanks for your help. And I promise to get back to it tomorrow. No excuses!

2Kp1.gif

weight.png

Memorial Day Challenge

3 T-Tapp workouts a week

#19 SonyaCele

SonyaCele

Sonya

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:21 PM

yeah my soreness comes on hardest for me on day two. actually for me it starts about 36 hours after my workout and lasts about 24 hours sometimes longer. Its called DOMS, delayed onset muscle soreness. Just give yourself a warm bath , and make your hubby massage you , and you'll be fine to go tomorrow.
Do you have a foam roller? i use that to roll out all my muscles every day, sometimes i spend a hour on it. I also use a hard lacrosse ball to get the muscles on my back and chest. i lay on it and roll it around on the tight spots. that really helps. and of course stretching. google foam rollers and myofascial release. I love my foam roller.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 sandooch

sandooch

Gif fanatic ♥

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:05 PM

I don't have a foam roller, and my husband (God love him) hates giving and getting massages. I do have a cat that loves to give massages, though. I kid you not. As soon as she hears you lay on the bed, she will jump up and massage you on your back, neck, arms...whatever spot is soft; so basically my whole body. :D

I am seriously hoping that I'm not coming down with something, though. I have two sick daughters in the house right now, but I haven't had as much as one cold in 3 years thanks to taking a garlic supplement all that time. And when people in my household get sick, I'll take extra, plus a zinc, plus a tablespoon of Silver Sol. Being sore from working out, it's hard to tell if it's exercise sore or sick and achy sore, you know? I don't have any other sicky-poo symptoms, so I'm praying it's just from the exercise. I'll know for sure by tomorrow morning. Lord, please don't let me get sick. Posted Image

2Kp1.gif

weight.png

Memorial Day Challenge

3 T-Tapp workouts a week

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users