Jump to content


Need tips and advice!

  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 a_red_dress



  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:59 PM

O.K. all you people on maintenance...what would be the most important thing you can think of that you would tell a newbie on maintenance? Any advice or tips you've learned through trial and error? What or where do I begin? My JCC told me she wants to ease me into it slowly but I do lunches, and breakfasts MOMO all the time. Dinner is a no brainer for me: a starch, protein, veggies or salad or both depending on how hungry I feel. So I want to get rid of all my JC food and then work on it more...JC food was so easy though! Help a sister out?
  • 0
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 SonyaCele



  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:31 PM

the best thing i can think of is to eat the same thing every day , get comfortable with it and then slowy integrate new ingredients or exchanges , very slowly. Keep it super simple for a while.

i eat oatmeal and fruit for bk.
I eat a half turkey sandwich for lunch
dinner is turkey, rice and veggies.
misc snacks, dairy servings, etc

i eat this basic food 90% of the time, i know it fits in my nutritional diary , i never have to plan or question anything. The other 10% of the time i might switch out a pancake and some eggs instead of oatmeal, or a salad instead of a sandwich. Or pizza instead of turkey at dinner.

by keeping my switches down to a minimum, if i calculate a calorie level wrong or over eat or get the nutrition wrong, its just a tiny fraction of my overall weekly diet and isnt going to make a difference.

there is no trial and error to get it right, By eating the same meals every day my diet will always be 90% on track , no matter what. And i get to play around with the other 10% with treats or variety, or going out to eat or whatever. And by integrating new things slowly, its hard to go wrong. Not only does this work for me physically, but mentally also, if i screw up and acidentally eat too much of a dessert one day, i know that i'm right back on my solid meal plan that i know works.

it might get boring eating the same foods, but i spice stuff up with different herbs and spices , and i'm learning new creative ways to cook and mix up my ingredients . I might have cheese and crackers for a snack (my dairy and snack serving) or i might have crackers and salsa for a snack, and put the cheese on my rice at dinner. Simple list of ingredients just mixed and matched differently. i just keep it really simple.
  • 0

When you look in the mirror and see no change, and still keep faith, knowing that in time you will get there if you stay focused and on track, that's the difference between those who succeed and those who fail.






#3 Tishri1


    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:10 AM

my big big big tip is I don't let myself go over 2 lbs with out taking a look at what Im eating.....and if I go over five I go right back on the plan like that very next meal!!!(modified if I don't have food avail right away) !!! That has kept me on track for almost two years now!

TBH I let this simple rule slip away from me just recently and Im struggling a bit to get back

Yeah Of course I am , that's why I had that simple rule to begin with right! lol because it worked!!! Well when I get back down(I'm actually up 7 lbs) I will never break that rule again.......Jenny food tastes soooo good though soooooo its cool that I'm back on the wagon

anyway thats what I do
  • 0
Posted Image
When faced with a choice.... Choose Happy!
If you don't take care of your body...where you gonna live? :)
Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!
Challenges are what make life interesting and overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.

#4 nancy5012


    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:51 AM

I've been easing into maintenance very slowly. Although I met my jenny goal (140), I really want to get down to about 130 but I am willing to take it slowly so I am half maintenance/half weight loss.

Here are some things that have really helped me:

1. Weigh every day. I resisted this - my jcc (I am an at home client) told me about 6 months ago that they had a meeting and based on what has been learned about keeping the pounds off is that weighing every day helps. It reduces the stigma of the big weekly weigh in. And its information. That's all - just data for you to use however you wish. I have found weighing every day keeps me in check and has helped me understand how food/water/exercise affects my weight on a day to day basis.
2. Even though I weigh every day, I still have my "official" weekly weigh-in with myself. I know I can fluctuate day to day, but if at the end of the week I am more than a pound up then I take immediate steps to get back down. By doing this you will be able to maintain your current weight.
3. Keep "handy" foods available. I always have a bag of pre-cooked chicken breasts in the freezer. I get them at Sam's club and they microwave up in a couple of minutes. I can have a chicken sandwich, use it on salad or add it to pasta. It's easy and convenient. I also keep a couple of Lean Cuisine meals in the freezer as well.
4. Mimic jenny meals. I don't like to cook, but I can mimic several jenny meals - like the pasta dishes - and feel satisfied.
5. Make use of your crockpot. Pulled pork or chicken is wonderful - I can make a pot of this, freeze individual servings and they are ready to go with just a few minutes in the microwave. I also grill up a months worth of turkey burgers and freeze them.
6. Individual serving snacks are your best friend!! I eat a skinny cow/weight watchers/snack wells dessert each evening. The portions are perfect, they are low in calories and fat and I feel like I am having a treat.
7. Continue to log your food everyday. I use the myfitnesspal app and it keeps me in check.
8. Try different workouts - and push yourself to do better every week.
9. Get some new clothes for the new you! And a great fitting bra can do wonders!
10. You know all those things you said you were going to do when you lost the weight? Go do them!!!

  • 2

Do or do not....there is no try Posted Image

Posted Image

My Weight Chart:
Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Stacy Baker

Stacy Baker


  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:54 PM

Thanks for such useful and Important tips Nancy.

  • 0

#6 abigail


    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:37 PM

I do what has been said, in general.


In particular, I also do the following:

  • Morning and evening prayer and meditation
  • Track food and water daily.
  • Weigh at home 1ce per week.
  • Exercise at least 30 mins (moderate walking) 3x per week.
  • Use weights to keep muscle tone and help metabolism.
  • Self care (hair, nails, massage, meditation, movies, friends, hobbies, journal)
  • Time management.
  • Don't sit for more than 50 minutes at a time--get up and move around for at least 5 minutes per hour.(set alarm on my laptop
  • Avoid stress like the plague!!! Say No more

  • 0

#7 sle3364


    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:47 AM

What good ideas Abigail. I too have found exercise a real key to my continued efforts to lose/maintain. (AlthoughI am still always happier when I am finished my workout :)

  • 0
Start weight:                 9/9/12      161.2     (59th Birthday)
Restart weight:              1/14/13     161
Low weight:                    9/9/13      141.6    (60th Birthday)
oops.... relapse
Restart weight:             3/17/14      151.5 
                                      9/9/14       137.5    (61st Birthday)
Two years later             01/14/15    134.0    (27 pounds down altogether)
"one" year anniversary   03/17/15   134.5    (17 pound loss for the second year)
hit a snag                       09/09/15   137.2    (62nd birthday)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users