Photo

Dealing with a family that loves food and my stagnant mindset?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 loveactually

loveactually

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:32 PM

Hi all,

I've been on Jenny for 8 months now, and have stagnated at a loss of 25 lbs (I have 45 more to go) for a couple of reasons.

One: Ever since we started visiting my in-laws on a regular basis, it's been increasingly more difficult to stick to the program. Food is a huge part of my husband's culture, and there's always that guilt that's being fed (in addition to the tasty dishes) about how disrespectful it is to decline food... even though they know I'm trying to lose weight. So... I cave.

Two: I've hit a mental block. Every now and again the cravings pop up. Hubby is known to bring home a couple of bags of chips, treats, whatever... I work from home, and have full access to all the food in our house. When I'm bored, I just go and say "Oh, I guess I'll just have a couple," and then it's never just a couple. And hubby doesn't help - he'll get burgers, fries, and ask that dreaded question, "Want anything?" Even if I say no, he still brings home things he knows I'd love to eat and say, "I got these because I know you love them."

I did so well in the early part of the year, and now I'm slipping. I'm not gaining any more weight (which is good), but my goodness, I'm yearning for that drive where I can assertively tell my in-laws and my hubby "No", and conveniently forget that there's a box of popcorn in the cupboard... all while watching the lbs melt off again. Any ideas? I think I may need a kick in the right direction.

#2 laura55

laura55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:57 PM

Wow!
1. My stepfather has made it known that he is offended when I do not accept his offer of cookies, candy , steak, hamburger, banana, orange ,etc.,..I just tell him I am on a program where my menu is set for the day and I can't eat anything that is not on my menu. He doesn't like it and has told me he was always taught that it is disrespectful to not accept food that is offered but I told him I mean no disrespect but I have to do what is best for me.
2. Remember, 45 lbs to goal!!! You've lost 25 already! Jenny Craig works! It's so easy to follow and the food is great! Stock up on your favorites and commit to the program. You can do it because you have done it!
Beginning Weight 5/17/2013: 208 lbs
Goal Weight: whatever I weigh in on 8/08/14 will be it!

6/06/14. 148.1
6/13/14. 147.9
6/20/14. 146.5
6/27/14. 146.2. (6 weeks to goal!)
7/11/14. 145.2. (4 weeks to goal!)

It is never too late to be who you might have been. ~George Eliot

#3 SonyaCele

SonyaCele

Sonya

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:05 PM

you gotta get away from the thinking that you are offending sometime or being rude by not accepting food. try and turn it back on them that they are offending you and being rude by demanding you eat when they know you are on a program to lose weight, for your health . it's hard but part of this journey is learning to stand up for ourselves. we overeat for so many reasons, we gotta break the cycle , step out of our comfort zones in order to change. when you start to change, those around you eventually will respect that.

When you look in the mirror and see no change, and still keep faith, knowing that in time you will get there if you stay focused and on track, that's the difference between those who succeed and those who fail.

5'4", 46 years old, start date 7/18/2012 236.4 lbs, i work out a lot.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 a_red_dress

a_red_dress

Sheila

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,710 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:46 AM

Offend someone by saying no to the food they offer...I think this is a big cop-out that people use cause they can't say no themselves and would be reminded of it by someone having control of what they are eating that is around them. Who is going give a rats a$$ when you are dealing with health problems due to being over weight and putting fattening foods in your body cause you didn't wanna offend somebody or eat something that somebody bought for you (even though you said you didn't want it)! If you don't take care of your body...where you gonna live and offending somebody believe me will be the least of your worries!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 laura55

laura55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:14 AM

Just want to say that many older people (especially those born right after the depression era) just grew up that way. It's also why they wouldn't consider throwing out leftover food, are part of the "clean your plate!" brigade....doesn't make it right but that's just what they grew up to believe. But yes, we just have to stand our ground and let them know that we are not being disrespectful, just doing what we have to do for our own good health!
Beginning Weight 5/17/2013: 208 lbs
Goal Weight: whatever I weigh in on 8/08/14 will be it!

6/06/14. 148.1
6/13/14. 147.9
6/20/14. 146.5
6/27/14. 146.2. (6 weeks to goal!)
7/11/14. 145.2. (4 weeks to goal!)

It is never too late to be who you might have been. ~George Eliot

#6 somewheresublime

somewheresublime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

I think you need to re-enlist your husband as your number one supporter. Right now, he sounds more like a diet saboteur. Bringing things home because you like them seems sweet, but right now it's not helping you reach your goal. Neither is his family's food-is-love mentality.

Maybe it's time for a frank conversation with your husband about what your goals are, why you're on the program and what you need from him (and his family) to successfully lose the remaining weight. If he'd like to bring things home for you as a treat, a scented candle, flowers or a card (whatever makes you feel loved and appreciated) would be a much healthier option. Likewise, it may be time for him to let his Dad know that you are on a planned program and need the entire family's support. If you're going over for a meal, can you bring a big fruit salad with you and fill up your plate with that? There are things that you can do to empower yourself here and clear the air with family, if you want to! We all hit roadbumps - has your consultant had anything helpful to offer?

Graduating from College in May and Being More Fabulous Than Ever!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users