• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nmmnyc

nmmnyc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

Hi everyone! I'm new to these forums and have just finished my second week of Jenny. I live in NYC finishing up my last year of college, and as many of you fellow twenty-somethings might know (especially those in a big city like NY!), there's always something going on. I've always had anxiety about going out with people my age...being the "fat friend," having to dress well, anxiety about dating and looking attractive, etc.

Most people I know my age would probably never do a program like Jenny and it does get kind of embarrassing at times as someone mentioned on a previous thread. I'm not that embarrassed because my friends are supportive, but I just feel like a fun-sucker/party pooper!

My friends and I used to go out drinking, stay out all night and end up eating 3 AM pizza (or something similarly greasy and delicious, then wake up at 1 PM the next day, and do it all again. Unfortunately my metabolism/body is not like my friends and they have a much easier time with that lifestyle than I do, but I feel like I'm missing out or being reclusive when I say "sorry can't go out, I'm dieting."

Last night I went out. Had my Jenny dinner at 9:30 PM, didn't drink anything but water all night, came home at around 1 AM starving, but went straight to bed. Woke up around noon (which I hate to do when dieting, I feel like I rush to cram my food in!) I just miss the good old days I guess...

I'm the kind of person who gets weaker every time I fall off the wagon, so I really don't want to cheat, at least not for a while! I've built up some great momentum, but I'm watching my social life/last year of college dwindle before my eyes. How do you guys do it? Any advice?
Natalie

Posted Image

Starting Weight: 244.2

Week 1: -5.2
Week 2: -1.2
Week 3: -3.2
Week 4: +0.8
Week 5: -4.4
Week 6: -2.8
Week 7: -3.4

Week 8: -4.0
Week 9: +1.8
Week 10: -4.4
Week 11: -2
Week 12: + 3 (Yikes! Had the flu...)
Week 13: -4.6

Total Lost: -29.6 lbs

#2 FaizaYagi

FaizaYagi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:23 PM

Well, if it were me (I'm a married mom who's working full time these days so not much real experience BUT this is how I handle going out with friends) I would save my snacks until the evening and stash them in my purse... think smores bars, bruschetta chips, something easy to carry. Then if we were having drinks I'd ask for an appetizer plate and eat them on that. Have sparkling water or a diet coke with lime. If there is food available have a side salad and take your Jenny dressing. But, yes it is VERY hard at first because we want to do good and sometimes that means putting yourself first. You'll learn how to work going out in the more your body gets accustomed to the food. And then when you get home, have a string cheese or some unlimited veggies. Sure, they're not as good as the pizza but much better for you.

Total Loss 85.2 Prior to pregnancy in 2013

My Weight Loss/Life Journey Blog: http://jessicafaiza.blogspot.com

Start weight Sept. 2012: 271.4 lbs

Weight prior to pregnancy 2014: 187.2

Jessica "Faiza" Yagi

1157666_10101584879974698_870074806_n.jp

1504087_10101458953926508_1656941785_n.j

#3 Margro

Margro

Marsha

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:37 PM

My daughter just graduated and now lives in NYC, so I get the lifestyle. Her roommate the last year in college did Jenny successfully. She was lucky to live in a house and made the basically free Tuscan Veggie soup. She ate her Jenny meal before going out (around 9:30), had the snack while out and the soup when she got home. She did allow herself one drink during the week and drank diet coke or club soda the rest of the time. She spent about 1 hour in the gym daily.

She wanted it very badly and so made it work for her. Good luck to you, it is hard to prioritize changes in eating habits :)

weight.png

SW 229.2

CW 227.8
GW 140

Marsha

#4 kristinamdillon

kristinamdillon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

Welcome! I'm fairly new too (even though I've done it a few times before) and have just started my 3rd week back. We also seem to be pretty similar (I'm 22, and just graduated from art school in a large city, woo!). I don't have a crazy social life or sleep schedule like I used to a few months ago since I'm working now, but when I was like that I just had to make a habit out of eating every 2-3 hours. I'd wake up at 2 and eat my "breakfast" and usually end up eating my snack somewhere between 2 and 4am. I really loved that JC was flexible for me to do this.

For the social situation, you could get a diet soda or crystal light (whatever is low in calories) and sip on that the whole night, that way there's no need to feel like a party pooper (since no one needs to know there's no alcohol). This is what I used to do. Going out with friends isn't about the alcohol (most of the time), but about the company. There will be plenty of time for alcohol later! JC is a pretty flexible program, you just need to figure out how it'll work best for you.

Also, props to you for starting now. I waited until after my senior year to come back and I really regretted it. The stress of my thesis made me put on a few pounds. Yikes!

KRISTINA

#5 SonyaCele

SonyaCele

Sonya

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:11 AM

Keep in mind this is more than a "Diet" its a lifestyle change. If you wanna change, than you gotta change. Social hour will have to change, either you dont go or you learn to not eat. I dont think your skinny friends metabolisms are any different. I think if you watch them closely you will see the skinny people aren't shoveling food and drinks in their mouths. Its ok to say no to drinks and food without telling anyone you are on a diet. Also , be aware that regular consistant sleep is important for losing weight, you might want to think about a sleep schedule that isnt' bed at 1am and sleeping in until noon. Just a suggestion. Those of us that are most successful are getting a good 8 hrs , and in bed at a decent hour.
You are only 2 weeks into the program, if you can take a break from social nights out and drinking for a few months, get your weight loss moving along, get in the rythym of things, you'll get stronger mentally and be able to start going out on occasion. You have to really decide what is more important right now, your health and weight... or hanging out with friends late at night. Its not forever, its just for a little while.
Phyllis and I gave this same lecture to desiree when she started, and she chose the path of health and has had amazing results, we are so proud of her. She's able to go out with her friends now , and is strong enough to make good choices... and she looks amazing, and has reached her biggest goal.

When you look in the mirror and see no change, and still keep faith, knowing that in time you will get there if you stay focused and on track, that's the difference between those who succeed and those who fail.

5'4", 46 years old, start date 7/18/2012 236.4 lbs, i work out a lot.

10/19/14  week 1 - in process

weight.png

#6 somewheresublime

somewheresublime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:40 AM

I lost 50 pounds with Jenny my senior year in college (now back 5 years later having gained 25 back) and I can so relate to this. I remember spending friday nights on my own because I didn't want to blow all of the hard work that I had done during the week on a night of drinks and junk.

The truth is, you can make it work. Just plan and choose. I drank quite a few sugar free redbulls that semester. It gave me a bit of a buzz, but didn't have all of the calories. Also rum and diet cokes. I actually managed to lose weight on our spring break trip to the beach, and just packed lots of Jenny snacks and travel foods in my suitcase. There was some good natured teasing about my munching on Jenny's cheese curls while we were out at different bars, but it was SO worth it.

So here's what I'd recommend. Decide how many drinks you're going to have before you go out. Have a couple of go-to drinks that make it look like you're part of the group, like diet coke with lemon. Pack a snack in your purse, or have it waiting for you on your bedside table for when you get home. Have some veggies in the fridge to munch on. And plan on spending some time in the gym to make up for it. If you can talk everyone into walking to whichever bars/parties you're going to, that's even better. Exercise on the way there, and the way back!

One thing that ended up working out great for me was getting all of the girls involved in salsa dancing. We started going to a salsa club, so I was able to fit in a lot of activity and enjoy a mojito. Plus, everyone was distracted doing their own thing and not paying attention to what was in my glass. Is there anything like that you could try?

Hang in there.

Graduating from College in May and Being More Fabulous Than Ever!

#7 nmmnyc

nmmnyc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:08 AM

Wow guys, thanks for all the replies! The notification e-mails were going in my spam box so I just figured no one was answering :(

I'm halfway through week 8 and my total weight loss so far is 19.4, so I must be doing something right! I started school this week so I guess we'll see how it goes from here, but the summertime was also full of going out and socializing and I definitely did my best to make it work.

These are great suggestions, I'll keep y'all updated. Thank you!!
Natalie

Posted Image

Starting Weight: 244.2

Week 1: -5.2
Week 2: -1.2
Week 3: -3.2
Week 4: +0.8
Week 5: -4.4
Week 6: -2.8
Week 7: -3.4

Week 8: -4.0
Week 9: +1.8
Week 10: -4.4
Week 11: -2
Week 12: + 3 (Yikes! Had the flu...)
Week 13: -4.6

Total Lost: -29.6 lbs

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new, friends, support, NYC, college, help, advice, share, stories, experiences

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users