Photo

Does anyone feel the sodium in JC food affects their weight loss?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 elk22271

elk22271

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:27 PM

Do you guys ever find that the sodium in the JC food causes you to retain water and not lose as much? I am just restarting the program, but the sodium level is so high. I wouldn't eat the soupitizors or the salad dressing. but it still seems really high. Plus, the extra dairy and cheese adds up with sodium too. Would extra water help balance this out? What do you all think? Thanks everyone!!

Elizabeth

#2 I Called Jenny

I Called Jenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,822 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:54 PM

Elizabeth, first, welcome back! :)

Yes, sodium will make the scale show that you're retaining more water BUT if you realize that, then you shouldn't get upset if the scale doesn't give you a number you like, right? :)

OK, the other thing you can do if you "must" see better numbers is to drink extra water to help counteract it.

I feel when I know I'm retaining water on any given day and I step on the scale, if I see a gain (I'm on maintenance), then I don't worry too much about it. I'll drink extra water but I know the "gain" isn't true because I already know it's water so I don't let it bother me. :)
Phyllis

Height: 5'2
SW - 177.6
Goal! - 132
Returning Weight - 143
CW - GOAL AGAIN!!!

Posted Image

Before JC with hubby and nephews in 2006/After JC (2nd time) in 2011

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 kaiserme

kaiserme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:55 AM

Oh yes, but I am not so sure it's the JC food that bothers me w/sodium.  The more I do MOMO and DOMO and then eat processed foods more, I do notice a difference.

Yesterday I had a graduation open house to go to, just to be safe, I ate LC firewood margherita pizza for lunch and only ate veggies and fruit at the open house.  Last night I was really busy getting all my veggies cut, fruit bowl made, other dishes and my cake made with diet-7up (Thanks for that Prudie), so I ate a WW salisbury steak w/mac and cheese "dinner" with my own salad last night.    Today, I am up 1 whole lb. than yesterday.  Has to be the sodium.
By the way, those WW  classic "dinners" were on sale at Meijer for 99cents each a couple weeks ago and I can't say I would buy that one again.

But, like Phyllis said, if we know that's what it is, drink drink drink water. Usually it doesn't effect me so much, but I believe it did yesterday. I think it usually balances out.
Shelly
Started 12/28/2012   214 lbs.

Re-Starting using  MOMO 1/2/13  I am still 37 lbs. ahead, however, my lowest this past Summer was 158, so I am up 19 lbs. from that.  I can't keep looking at my old stats, it has to be new.   I will be 58 in February.  I weighed 196 last year at that time...can't go there!

1/1/13  Wed.  177 lbs.  
1/8/13 Wed.   175.6 lbs.

Anniversary July '13 Frankfort MI    My Kaiser - Spring 2013
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImageThis isn't even my heaviest- Summer '11 I think. Not goin' back there!!

#4 SonyaCele

SonyaCele

Sonya

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:11 AM

if it's water retention , I  dont mind  since it's not fat.  and it will  flush out and just make for a  good following week.  drink lots of water.   and don't stress  on the number on the scale,  the program works when you follow the directions and get in a  little exercise.

When you look in the mirror and see no change, and still keep faith, knowing that in time you will get there if you stay focused and on track, that's the difference between those who succeed and those who fail.

5'4",  46 years old, start date 7/18/2012   236.4 lbs, i work out a lot.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 tylerbrandonsmom

tylerbrandonsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:43 AM

The day before my weigh ins I always double my water intake.  This usually honestly makes about a 1lb difference on the scale from sunday-monday morning.  Even though I know it is just water retention, It is nice to flush that out to show that loss on weigh in day.
Posted Image

**Cheryl**    

September 2011 - Reached goal 160lb
Had baby May 2012     

"If it's important to you then you will find a way, If it's not you will find an excuse."  

#6 avahsmiles

avahsmiles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:34 AM

View PostI Called Jenny, on 15 June 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

Elizabeth, first, welcome back! :)

Yes, sodium will make the scale show that you're retaining more water BUT if you realize that, then you shouldn't get upset if the scale doesn't give you a number you like, right? :)

OK, the other thing you can do if you "must" see better numbers is to drink extra water to help counteract it.

I feel when I know I'm retaining water on any given day and I step on the scale, if I see a gain (I'm on maintenance), then I don't worry too much about it. I'll drink extra water but I know the "gain" isn't true because I already know it's water so I don't let it bother me. :)

Exactly!!!!!!  Water is key and will counteract it!
~Darlie~

Carpe diem!

#7 a_red_dress

a_red_dress

Sheila

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:05 PM

You could make your own salad dressing with oil and vinegar and you might even be able to find low salt cheese in a deli.  However food without salt would be pretty hard to stomach IMHO.  I also think our bodies need some sodium.  So like everybody said...it can effect the scale but this journey isn't just about that.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 janiebelle1957

janiebelle1957

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:14 PM

I hate to sound like I have all the answers, but I had kidney failure and lost a kidney. I have to be good to the one I have. I try! I have noticed that if I stay on Jenny and don't add a lot of extra sodium I am fine....IF I drink the water plus a little more. If I miss my water for a day or 2 I always go up a couple pounds. As soon as I start the water it goes away. I do like salt so I add more water on those days when I can. I "need" a margarita with salt now and then and face the scales with that in mind so I don't depressed about it.  Drink that water.
<a%20href=<a%20href=<a%20href=56 years old
5'6"

Posted Image

<
Posted Image

#9 gettingfit01

gettingfit01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:21 PM

My first and second week when I wasn't seeing those big beginning results I was hoping for, I of course automatically blamed it on the high amount of sodium in the food. However, my consultant pointed out that I may not be drinking enough water (I can't even stress how important I've found drinking water to be!) She had me start tracking it, and that was when I realized I need to drink more water. I lost more these past two weeks than I did the first two weeks. Drink a ton of water, you'll find that it makes up for the sodium!

#10 JKA2

JKA2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:03 AM

As long as you don't have kidney disease or high potassium levels, consuming foods high in potassium (like spinach, tomatoes, yogurt, bananas, citrus fruits) will also help you excrete sodium.
~ Leigh ~

Posted Image

Began JC 12/8/2012.  Incorporated BFM CORE armband 1/8/2013.

#11 CJforMe

CJforMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:56 AM

Glad to see this post - it's a good reminder to drink LOTS of water!
  Week 11 (10/07/13): -0.5 lbs  (-12.9 total)
  Week 10 (10/01/13):  No weigh in

BMI = 35.8 as of Week 9 (down 2 points!!)
  Week 9   (09/24/13): -1.4 lbs  (-12.4 lbs total)
  Week 8   (09/17/13): -0.0 lbs  (-11.0 lbs total)
  Week 7   (09/10/13): -0.8 lbs  (-11.0 lbs total)
  Week 6   (09/03/13): -1.6 lbs  (-10.2 lbs total)

Down 8 inches as of Week 5!!!
  Week 5   (08/27/13): -1.2 lbs  (-8.6 lbs total)
  Week 4   (08/20/13): -2.2 lbs  (-7.4 lbs total)
  Week 3   (08/13/13): -0.2 lbs  (-5.2 lbs total)
  Week 2   (08/06/13): -3.2 lbs  (-5 lbs total)

11/14/13: -.8 lbs (-14.8 total)    BMI = 37.8 at Starting Weight
11/05/13: -14 total Week 1   (07/30/13): -1.8 lbs  (-1.8 lbs total)

SW: 227.4 - 07/30/13 Goals met:  215 (09/24/13)
CW: 212.6  
GW: 165.0
Current goal:   210
Half-way goal: 195

#12 elk22271

elk22271

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:51 PM

Thanks everyone for your advice. I really appreciate it!

Elizabeth

#13 Queen-of-the-Castle

Queen-of-the-Castle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:18 AM

You know I can understand how you feel. I find that with my Jenny Craig menu, I am having far less in sodium each day because I'm not going through the drive-thru's (like McD's and Checkers) and cooking with as much salt either. When I first started I was given lots of information and one of the pieces was a description of the carbs/protein/sodium. It states that there is 2-4 grams of sodium each day in the Jenny Craig menu and thats what my doctor has recommended for a low-sodium diet. My doctor told me to drink lots of water less diet coke. And since then I feel great and less bloated and blah!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users