Photo

Why isn't exercising making a difference? ugh!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Imabee

Imabee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:33 PM

I started working out at a gym near our house 9 weeks ago. Both my husband and I started going, which really is kinda nice. We go 5 times a week without fail. I've never worked out in a gym before, so I've kinda been figuring out my plan as I go. I normally do the weight machines 4 times a week, rotating upper/lower body - on those days I do 30 minutes of cardio on the treadmill or eliptical. One day a week I just do cardio - 60 minutes on something. This week I'm resting from the weights and have done an hour of (to me at least) pretty hard cardio. So the problem is, I'm not losing any weight! It's getting frustrating. I've been at the same weight +/- two pounds since December. Two weeks ago I had this really shocking loss - 3 pounds! But at my last weigh in I'd gained it all back!
Has anybody had the same kind of frustration - starting a workout plan with all these big expectations and then the scale doesn't show all your hard work? I'm 6 pounds away from goal, yep the same 6 pounds I was away on December 1st of last year. Any thoughts would be great - maybe I'm doing something wrong and need to work out less? or more? or I'm just doing something that is making my body just all confused and my metabolism is off...I'm working so hard and eating healthy, sure wish the darn scale would give me a little payoff! Thanks all!!

#2 SonyaCele

SonyaCele

Sonya

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:48 PM

What are you eating?   Chances,are you need to eat more with the amount you are working out.

When you look in the mirror and see no change, and still keep faith, knowing that in time you will get there if you stay focused and on track, that's the difference between those who succeed and those who fail.

5'4",  46 years old, start date 7/18/2012   236.4 lbs, i work out a lot.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 a_red_dress

a_red_dress

Sheila

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:26 PM

I've always had luck just doing very light weights and with more reps.  The cardio is where I kick it into gear...then when I get the weight off then I kick the weight training back up.  In your case I might even consider stopping the weight training and just do the cardio just to see if the weight starts to go down any if it does...then wait to start on the weights till all the weight is lost.  Then kick back up the weight training full speed ahead and carry on with building those muscles to be toned and fabulous.  Just my point of view.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 I Called Jenny

I Called Jenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,822 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:43 AM

What does your JCC say? It might be a matter of more calories needed or possibly changing up your exercise and doing more cardio than weights..

Also remember that while the weight might not be coming off, I bet that you're dropping inches like crazy.
Phyllis

Height: 5'2
SW - 177.6
Goal! - 132
Returning Weight - 143
CW - GOAL AGAIN!!!

Posted Image

Before JC with hubby and nephews in 2006/After JC (2nd time) in 2011

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 DesireeAshley90

DesireeAshley90

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:04 AM

When I lift a lot/often, I tend to gain. Currently I only strength train three times weekly but it's mostly strength, I don't really do much lifting. The first week I gained and have been losing ever since. I really couldn't tell you what's going on but if I were you, I play around the the exercise. Try not lifting for a week and you might need to up your cardio. I've only been exercising for two months and I'm starting to up it to hour and a half on days I don't strength train and I make sure it's vigorous like interval running, eliptical with very high resistance and incline, and the stairs. Most definitely the stairs.
SW: 217
CW: 177.8

1st GW:180 (GOAL REACHED)
2nd GW: 150

Leaving for military boot camp on August 05, 2013!

Posted Image

OVERALL GOAL
Posted ImagePosted Image Progress Picture: 225 pounds (left) versus 190 pounds (right). Excuse the mess!  Lol.

#6 JKA2

JKA2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:01 AM

My recommendation is to incorporate interval training during your cardio routine & I agree with others that you could try decreasing your weight training.  I have personally found it difficult to build muscle & lose weight at the same time.
~ Leigh ~

Posted Image

Began JC 12/8/2012.  Incorporated BFM CORE armband 1/8/2013.

#7 a_red_dress

a_red_dress

Sheila

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:35 AM

JKA2 Same here, hard for me to lose and weight train too.  However to avoid losing muscle, at halfway you should by this point have at least started some weight training that's why I do light weights (1-5 pounders) but more reps.  Only 3 or 4 days a week.  Kicked up cardio though!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Imabee

Imabee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

Thanks all - I've definitely kicked up my cardio this week and went light on the weights. I weigh in tomorrow night, so we'll see if this strategy makes a difference this week! I'll let you know!

#9 Golfer1990

Golfer1990

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:05 AM

It is always important to remember that muscle weighs more than fat so if you are truly going to the gym and following the routine you outlined above you are still getting into better and better shape while maintaining your weight.

That being said I have started back to the gym and have seen nothing but better and better losses each week when combined with JC. My routine is as follows (I know it sounds tough but throw on the ipod and enjoy the pain)

Monday, Wednesday, Friday

30 minutes on the elyptical on the cross country porgram for warm up
2 walking laps = 1/4 km
Tricep extensions 3 sets of 12
Bicep curls 3 sets of 12
2 walking laps =1/4 km
Lat pull downs 3 sets of 12
Shoulder press 3 sets of 12
2 walking laps = 1/4 km
Chest press 3 sets of 12
Rope extensions 3 sets of 12
2 walking laps = 1/4 km

This workout total takes me about 1 hour 15 minutes (GO HARD OR DON'T GO)

Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday

1 km warm up walk
15 minutes treadmill maximum incline fast walk
2 walking laps 1/4 km
30 minutes elyptical cross training program
2 walking laps 1/4 km
15 minutes excersise bike
1.5 km cool down walk

These workouts are what have worked for me and anybody i have worked out with finds them difficult but rewarding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users