20 replies to this topic

#1 harleygirl17

harleygirl17

Harley Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

Okay so about 2 years ago when the armband first came out at JC I decided to jump on the bandwagon and try it...it was great. It really gave me the push I needed to loose those extra few pounds that decided not to leave!! I wore it for about 4 months and decided that I could do it on my own and since it was summer I was a little self conshius wearing it for everyone to see.

Anyway, although I had it a total of 2 years the useage is very low. I have decided to go back to JC and decided to use the armband again. About 3 days into it I noticed that the chime sounds don't work anymore so I decided to contact Body Media....THAT'S where the story gets bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I asked the customer service rep if it was common for the armband to loose the chime and he advised me that the armband has a lifespan of 12-14 months only and after that time I should replace it if I required accurate reading from the armband....I was astonished!!!!!!! A customer service rep telling me that the product was not a great quality and the life span was very short...and if I wanted to purchase another one...NOT!!!!

Needless to say I am not happy about this and decided the sound is not the be all and end all. I am sticking to my non sounding armband and will not purchase another one. Even though I am dying to purchase the link armband....

Just thought you all would like to know the expected lifespan of our armbands...booooo!

#2 SonyaCele

SonyaCele

Sonya

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

Wow, well that sucks! So have you noticed a change in the accuracy? There are other types of calorie measurers out there, like heart rate monitors and stuff. I think if my Bodymedia ever fails on me, i might check out trying a HRM. Mine is only 7 months old , so i guess i have a few more months of use out of it. And even if it does break, it has been a priceless investment in my journey, i'd pay for it all over again if i had to.

When you look in the mirror and see no change, and still keep faith, knowing that in time you will get there if you stay focused and on track, that's the difference between those who succeed and those who fail.

5'4", 46 years old, start date 7/18/2012 236.4 lbs, i work out a lot.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 DesireeAshley90

DesireeAshley90

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

Oh wow good to know. Although I love this darn armband so much that I'd probably buy it again if need be. I love it! But thanks for the info.
SW: 217
CW: 177.8

1st GW:180 (GOAL REACHED)
2nd GW: 150

Leaving for military boot camp on August 05, 2013!

Posted Image

OVERALL GOAL
Posted ImagePosted Image Progress Picture: 225 pounds (left) versus 190 pounds (right). Excuse the mess! Lol.

#4 zapslr

zapslr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

i love it enough (I have the link) to buy it again too. Keep in mind most electronics only carry a 1-yr warranty and that could have been a disgruntled employee OR he may also have a sales quota to meet.

If youre lookng for a different brand I've heard fairly good things about the fitbit. I hear better things about BMF, however if your looking to switch brands...

~~Shanna~~

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail"
"If you always do, what you've always done --> you'll always get, what you've always gotten"

"Excuses are only rationalizations that make you feel better about yourself for not doing something you want or need to be doing"

"If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present"--Lao Tzu

"Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life"

"Everything you want is on the other side of fear"

acf95f63-516a-4f6c-9ed3-59fa57a8f972_zps

#5 josephz2va

josephz2va

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:12 AM

I've had mine for over a year and it still works. More than likely the battery died from inactive usage. Try charging it while you're not home on a wall charger. Check it the evening time and see if the green lights are blinking.

If need be, hold the button for 15 seconds to reset it. You may need to flash the firmware. They generally permit a defective replacement at no cost if anything fails.

Posted Image

#6 Eliza422

Eliza422

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:46 AM

I think that's a crock. I've had mine for 2 years now and it's still working great. It still lasts for at least week on a full charge (I only charge it once a week) and it still is quite accurate as far as I'm concerned.

I think if a person let it sit in a drawer for two years before trying it again that would be more of a reason for it not to work anymore.
My "before", taken in Oct 2009: https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

New Current Picture: https://picasaweb.go...108172302527234
Another current picture (with a friend of mine): https://picasaweb.go...928207175395954

#7 lap101999

lap101999

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

I too purchased mine a year and a half ago and it no longer chimes. Not very happy about it considering the cost of it.

#8 HarleyChick

HarleyChick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

I think that's a crock. I've had mine for 2 years now and it's still working great. It still lasts for at least week on a full charge (I only charge it once a week) and it still is quite accurate as far as I'm concerned.

I think if a person let it sit in a drawer for two years before trying it again that would be more of a reason for it not to work anymore.

Eliza. It is not a crock!!! My band doesn't chime and letting the band sit for a year and a half doesn't mean it shouldn't work. Maybe a dead battery issue I can accept but poor quality is not something I choose to accept. Not saying that the armband is bad cuz I actually use it as a powerful tool!

weight.png

SW - 158.2   Started Sept 26 2014

#9 Debbie Ludwig

Debbie Ludwig

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

Sorry to hear this. I too am having issues and I'm only into my 4th week. Rarely do I have the chimes, but my husband and I are noticing that it is only tracking my steps. If I do a workout video or weight lifting, it's not registering this.

These aren't cheap items.
Debbie

#10 harleygirl17

harleygirl17

Harley Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

well at least other people are having issues so I guess its not a crock unless we are all full of it..I doubt it!

#11 TeresaAgain

TeresaAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:23 AM

I love my armband. Although I rarely hear the chimes (my fault not the armands). I find it to be a valuable tool in my journey. I didn't wear mine for two months after my surgery because I couldn't use my right hand to put the darn thing on. I starting wearing it again and have found where I was messing up and have been able to fix it. I would definitely purchase it again. It has already been said, all electronics are designed to wear out. Try charging it for many hours and see if that helps

Posted Image

Month 1 -12.6
Month 2 -5.8
Month 3 -8.8 (Surgery and recovery this month)
Month 4 -5.2 (getting back to normal now)
Week 17 2/23/13 0 (two weeks in a row. no loss, no gain. Not sure what is going on)
Week 18 3/2/13 -1.8
Week 19 3/9/13 +.4
Week 20 3/16/13 -3
Week 21 3/23/13 -3.6

#12 Diane2010

Diane2010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:15 PM

my band is over 2 years old and still works fine,chime and all.I did have to charge it for 3 hours as it was a really dead battery!!

#13 barb_

barb_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

I don't understand the chimes part. The only time I hear the chimes is when I re-attach it to my arm after recharging/syncing... and when I scratch the dang arm from the sweat. Got a fall back armband. No, this JC CORE band is NOT accurate and someone, a lovely CSR at Body Media explained that the band is not great about monitoring things like resistance training. Because most is stationary. I thought that based on all the hoopla, all their many sensors would pic up on when you are doing triceps, or curls, bench presses of 50 lbs., etc. but apparently, not so well. She assured me that it still is accurate at measuring calories. Hmmm. I think NOT. But, overall, so far, happy with the product, though not the JC support. Had it almost 6 months now. I got BMF to cut off my ties with JC as far as the internet connection. They were great! That way, I can sync with My Fitness Pal. You can't if you get the one that JC sells for me for $199 upgrade. Look what it goes for on Amazon or anywhere else. And I ended up having a useless internet because it wouldn't sync with any other program. JC blocked those. Cause they would have to pay more and get less profit. Not a good selling point for JC, but I had started gaining and since I got back with them, have lost 2.2 lbs. in two weeks while blowing it one night......or two. So, I am happy.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 Kay Wheeler

Kay Wheeler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:11 PM

Sorry to hear this. I too am having issues and I'm only into my 4th week. Rarely do I have the chimes, but my husband and I are noticing that it is only tracking my steps. If I do a workout video or weight lifting, it's not registering this.

These aren't cheap items.

I noticed this same thing. The treadmill steps are accurately recorded but the stationary bike activity is not. I will test it for weight training tonight where there are very few steps. This is disconcerting but it really has kept me on track with excercise (that involved steps) and the food log is phenomenal!!!! I wanted the link but not if it dies after a year or so!

#15 amitojean

amitojean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:09 PM

I always thought it was tracking my steps on the low side. I'd walk places where my pedometer said was 3K and the band said 800 steps. Now I've noticed that the amount of time that it credits me for exercise is way off. For instance, today I went for a walk and my band said I walked 750 steps for 9 minutes. I compared that with the Moves app on my phone and it said I walked 4065 steps in 40 minutes. I know from the clock that I walked for 40 minutes so Moves got that right. It appears that I have a lemon from BodyMedia.

#16 amitojean

amitojean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:11 PM

I wrote to BodyMedia and they got right back to me. I had my METS set too high. Great customer service. Should've tried them before slamming them.

#17 Alison418

Alison418

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:50 AM

I have had my armband for 2 years now and have used it heavily in the last 6 months, and I've started to notice that the accuracy is way off. For the same workout it can show a difference of 300 calories depending on the day. It's very frustrating! I had no idea the lifespan of the device was so short. I'm definitely planning to upgrade to the CORE2 when it comes out this Fall, but they're keeping pretty quiet on the actual release date. I'm guessing they'll do it at the same time The Biggest Loser season starts airing, so October-ish.
SW: 246.2
GW: 140.0

Posted Image
This is me at me pre-pregnancy weight! Hooray!
Posted Image

#18 deb mae

deb mae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:51 AM

What is the link band?

#19 Yo_Momz

Yo_Momz

~ Kyra ~

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:17 AM

I have a fitbit and I love it. It monitors steps, calories, miles, floors climbed and gives the time. You can clip it on your waist band or stick it in your pocket (my husband has one and actually attaches his to his lanyard around his neck)....It will also monitor your sleep but I don't use it for that. I love it and it seems extrememely accurate.

kyrarwb_zpsa291ab85.jpg

weight.png

#20 zapslr

zapslr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:40 PM

Deb Mae- the body media fit "link" armband is the one that will link wirelessly to your phone, it's the one i had and used from feb-may of this year and LOVED it. I switched to the fitbit ONE around may only because i wanted to be able to wear short sleeves to work and out and about without people noticing it and questioning it. I read extensive articles comparing the body media band, the fit bit one, the fit bit flex, the nike fuel band and maybe one other, the fit bit one and body media were almost identical in their results and considered the most accurate. I also like that there is not monthly fee with the fit bit (I clip mine to my bra).

In the article i read the writer used all 4 or 5 devices at the same time for 30 days and did specific tests and had a 2nd person counting things like steps (both on a treadmil and outside) to see which was truly accurate.

I think you'd be happy with both. Both have free apps for smart phones but the body media does require a monthly subscription. If you go with the body media from the JC center it often times can't sync up with my fitness pal (which many of us on here use to track our food) and isn't the LINK version so no wireless sync with phone/app.

Hope that helps some at least.

~~Shanna~~

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail"
"If you always do, what you've always done --> you'll always get, what you've always gotten"

"Excuses are only rationalizations that make you feel better about yourself for not doing something you want or need to be doing"

"If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present"--Lao Tzu

"Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life"

"Everything you want is on the other side of fear"

acf95f63-516a-4f6c-9ed3-59fa57a8f972_zps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users