20 replies to this topic

#1 mamachill

mamachill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:52 AM

It's been a while since I visited the website and forum. A few days ago I stepped on my scale, and it said 208.6, a number I hadn't seen since my seventh month of pregnancy, nearly 10 years ago. I am 5'2" and would love to see a goal weight of 140. We are currently living outside the USA for the next six months, so my food planning is all me, no packages or prepared foods. I suffered a very severe injury to my ankle and leg 5 months ago, rendering exercise impossible. The doctor finally approved me for no walking boot last week, so I am able to exercise, low impact at first, but am getting used to my new ankle and foot, with metal plate and six screws. This seems like an insurmountable task to get into shape and lose weight. I welcome any and all supportive words and encouragement.
Returning Client.

Lived outside the USA with no Jenny Craig center, all meals on my own along with personal strength training and walking daily for exercise.
January 30th, 2013: Starting Weight 208.8
June 4th, 2013: 183.6

Returned to USA, gained weight and went offtrack...but came back to JC.
August 19th, 2013: Starting Weight 197.2
Current Weight (September 9th, 2013): 191.6
Goal Weight: 135

#2 Tedsbikerbabe

Tedsbikerbabe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:13 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about your injury. I wish you a speedy recovery.

I could only suggest to Google chair exercising. You could still get a good cardio workout working out your upper body. No matter how you do it, moving is great! The most important thing is you WANT to do something. You don't have the mind set of, woah is me...I can't do anything. That desire alone is going to be huge in you succeeding at this. Google those videos and I think you're going to do just fine. Baby steps, Mamachill! You got this!
Carmen

Posted Image

"I've been on a constant diet for the last two decades. I've lost a total of 789 pounds. By all accounts, I should be hanging from a charm bracelet." - ERMA BOMBECK.

#3 a_red_dress

a_red_dress

Sheila

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

Trying to lose weight is bad enough much less adding to the mix a bad injury. I admire the drive you have, even considering a low impact exercise is really saying something about your commitment to getting healthy. All you can do is to try your best but take it slow with the exercise (I'm scared for you :o ) You have the control over your food so making healthy food choices is something that works if the portion control is there. I find that planning out my day of meals by writing it all down really helps me as I'm doing more MOMO (meals on my own). I am still losing weight and I'm eating less and less of JC foods. I fractured my foot a couple years ago and had to keep it elevated for 5 months after the surgery, I was so down, so I sat there and just ate! My husband bless his heart, didn't know what to do so he bought me boxes of candy cause that always made me happy, it sure was good on the tastebuds but that is the only thing that was good about it! I got so big and as you can guess it only made matters worse. Do everything you can to ward off the blues, cause they can be so distructive and terrible for the waistline. I wasn't smart like you I made excuses for my eating like a mad woman by using my injury as an excuse. It seems you are doing the opposite of what I did, your doing something...Good For You! You can do this and we are here to help you all the way! Go Mama...Go Mama...Go Mamachill!
B)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 mamachill

mamachill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

Thanks, ladies. I have been doing much better with physical therapy and hired a personal trainer three times a week to help build strength within my recovery parameters. I am stubborn and when I put my mind to something, there is often no stopping me. I can honestly say that I haven't given 100% to fitness, nutrition and weight loss, which is why I am not at my goal for any of them (yet). Recently I have been really sick of being "stuck" and have had a shift in mindset, and decided that I need to plug away consistently at all three elements of the process...hence the personal trainer, JC posts, journaling and portion control. I will step on the scale on Wednesday, but feel healthier in so many ways already, so the scale is just one more tool. Making healthier food choices, writing down my foods and the emotions around eating...combined with an exercise regime...is my jumpstart. It is a long road ahead, and I hope I can keep the momentum, motivation and commitment. You two, and other posters, have inspired and encouraged me to stay the path. Thank you.
Returning Client.

Lived outside the USA with no Jenny Craig center, all meals on my own along with personal strength training and walking daily for exercise.

#5 I Called Jenny

I Called Jenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,822 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

So sorry to hear about your injury. It's hard enough to stay on plan when you're at your best but I do admire your determination and that will help a lot! Please do come to the boards often. Perhaps being here with us will make you feel less isolated and it will help cheer you on when you're trying to do this on your own because YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

We're all here for you as your personal cheering squad. You hired a fitness trainer. Perhaps we can be your staying on a good plan trainer. :)

Get well and remember you're not alone. If there's some specific way we can help, please ask. I'm sure one or more of us will have some ideas to help.

Hugs!
Phyllis

Height: 5'2
SW - 177.6
Goal! - 132
Returning Weight - 143
CW - GOAL AGAIN!!!

Posted Image

Before JC with hubby and nephews in 2006/After JC (2nd time) in 2011

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 mamachill

mamachill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:22 AM

Just checking in... It's been about six weeks now and I have lost 12 pounds. Still a long way to go, but I am feeling so much healthier with routines and my relationship with food. Being overseas and without the JC center makes it challenging. I have to prepare my own meals and be accountable to myself. It hasn't been a flawless six weeks. Far from it, but I am more quickly getting back on track when I "slip" and make unhealthy choices. Of course my "slips" are fewer and farther between, and less disastrous than before. (for example one cookie instead of the entire bag, or skipping a day of exercise instead of a week). My body and mind crave the healthier choices, which makes it easier to stay on track. But I know that I am building life skills and patterns, and that will take a while.

Keep the encouragement coming. It can feel quite lonely and overwhelming being abroad and away from the supports that weekly meetings at the center can provide. I rely on these forums to keep me motivated.
Returning Client.

#7 mamachill

mamachill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:33 PM

Been a few weeks since I visited the boards, and it appears that there isn't much posting activity nor responses to old posts. Too bad. I guess people get into their cycles of commitment to the program (understandable, as I've been there myself many times). But it would be so rewarding to see more recent posts and activity on the boards.

In that context, I will continue to pop on and update this read which I started in January. Hard to believe it has been 3 months, and though there were some rough weeks with a plateau one week, gain the next week, and minimal loss the following week...I stayed the course. Happy to report that I am now 22.4 pounds lighter, and much healthier emotionally and physically. I still have many days where it is a struggle to maintain motivation and avoid temptations of trigger foods, but I am taking it in strides.

One thing I just can't seem to reconcile is that I still don't see my body transformations yet. My shorts are baggy and obviously don't fit me. I don't want to buy the next size smaller (yet), as I am not sure I would fit in them yet...and don't want to spend money now. No matter what the scale and clothes say, when I look in the mirror I still see an overweight person. It is so hard to imagine ever having a different self image. Anyone else going through this??? Anyone survive this "stage"? Helpful tips?
Returning Client.

#8 FaizaYagi

FaizaYagi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:47 PM

Thrift stores :) I was surprised at what sizes I could actually fit into now and getting some transitional pieces from a thrift store or consignment shop may help save on cost but keep you from looking baggy :)

Total Loss 85.2 Prior to pregnancy in 2013

My Weight Loss/Life Journey Blog: http://jessicafaiza.blogspot.com

Start weight Sept. 2012: 271.4 lbs

Weight prior to pregnancy 2014: 187.2

Jessica "Faiza" Yagi

1157666_10101584879974698_870074806_n.jp

1504087_10101458953926508_1656941785_n.j

#9 SonyaCele

SonyaCele

Sonya

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:58 PM

Take some pictures of yourself now and compare to your before picture, i bet you will notice a HUGE difference in your appearnce

When you look in the mirror and see no change, and still keep faith, knowing that in time you will get there if you stay focused and on track, that's the difference between those who succeed and those who fail.

5'4", 46 years old, start date 7/18/2012 236.4 lbs, i work out a lot.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 mamachill

mamachill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:27 PM

Thanks for responding!!!
@Jessica, I am currently living in a developing country where they don't have thrift shops, sadly. Every now and then someone comes back from a trip to the USA with some used clothing to sell, but it isn't like a store. Maybe when we are in the USA this summer I will hit the thrift stores and/or sales racks.

@Sonya, I am taking monthly photos in the same outfit for record and comparisons. Granted my 8 year old son is the photographer, so maybe the angle isn't *always* consistent, but he takes front, side and behind angles. I look at the pictures and I honestly don't notice any change at all. It is discouraging at times. But I know my clothes fit differently. I see my face more narrow too. I just wish I could see in myself what others see.

Nonetheless, I am chugging along one day at a time. It hit me last night that in ten years I have only weighed 186.4 once, when I did Jenny Craig faithfully when my son was nursing. I got down to 170, then regained it all when he stopped nursing. I have hovered between 190-208 ever since. Getting to 186, though so far from my long term goal, is a huge milestone and accomplishment. I would love to be in the 170's when we go to the USA this summer. Sooooo close!
Returning Client.

#11 FaizaYagi

FaizaYagi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:32 PM

Don't know where you're living but when I was in the Peace Corps ... I lived in Niger... it was really cheap to have local tailors make clothes for us. They could copy any style and size it accordingly. I also really got into traditional wear. I was actually about the size I am now so I'm finally able to fit back into my Niger clothes.

Jessica "Faiza" Yagi

#12 mamachill

mamachill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:35 PM

@Jessica, I also had tons of clothes made for me when I was in Peace Corps in the 90's...hope to some day fit back in them! Meanwhile I am asking around here to find a seamstress. If all else fails, I will go on a spree this summer. I think much of my inability to celebrate (and acknowledge) my progress is that I don't have any form fitting clothes. Even just one dress will make a difference. ...by the way, your photos in your signature really are amazing. What a transformation! Congratulations.
Returning Client.

#13 FaizaYagi

FaizaYagi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

Where did you serve in the Peace Corps?

Jessica "Faiza" Yagi

#14 I Called Jenny

I Called Jenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,822 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:24 PM

Mamachill, there is a lot of activity on the boards but most people post on the GENERAL forum so maybe that's why you're not seeing all of the posts.

However if you go to the top right of any post you'll see a blue box that says VIEW NEW CONTENT. Click on that and you'll find posts from all of the forums. That's how most of us found YOU! :)
Phyllis

Height: 5'2
SW - 177.6
Goal! - 132
Returning Weight - 143
CW - GOAL AGAIN!!!

Posted Image

Before JC with hubby and nephews in 2006/After JC (2nd time) in 2011

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 laura55

laura55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:48 PM

Mamachill, are you back in the States and how are you doing? I started at 208 also and my goal is also 140. I am 5 ft. So we are very similar. Hope you are still on Jenny and made progress during your time away....
Beginning Weight 5/17/2013: 208 lbs
Goal Weight: whatever I weigh in on 8/08/14 will be it!

6/06/14. 148.1
6/13/14. 147.9
6/20/14. 146.5
6/27/14. 146.2. (6 weeks to goal!)
7/11/14. 145.2. (4 weeks to goal!)

It is never too late to be who you might have been. ~George Eliot

#16 mamachill

mamachill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:01 PM

Just checking in for first time since the move back to USA. I was doing well maintaining for 3 weeks, then temptations of new foods and flavors...plus convenient food access...led to a gain of 11.4 pounds.

HOWEVER, I am proud of myself for getting back on the right track. Officially re-activated at JC, and lost 2 pounds in the two weeks on program. It is a start!

AND...I began couch-to-5K (C25K) training. Finishing Week 2 tomorrow. It is definitely hard, but I feel so good when it is over.

Oh, and I started logging on MyFitnessPal yesterday. The ability to scan barcodes to track food makes it so easy!

Long road ahead. I will need cheers and support along the way.
Returning Client.

#17 Margro

Margro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:47 PM

Welcome back mamchill to both Jenny and the US!
weight.png

SW 229

CW 217
GW 140

Marsha

#18 mamachill

mamachill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:07 PM

Thanks, Margro! it is an adjustment but taking each day as it comes. Having a program like JC where I have one fewer thing to plan and coordinate (food) actually helps.
Returning Client.

#19 Tedsbikerbabe

Tedsbikerbabe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:19 PM

Welcome back! Well, the good thing is you didn't gain it all back, right. So Jenny must have been in the back your mind somewhere! And you know we are overflowing with cheers and support here!
Carmen

Posted Image

"I've been on a constant diet for the last two decades. I've lost a total of 789 pounds. By all accounts, I should be hanging from a charm bracelet." - ERMA BOMBECK.

#20 mamachill

mamachill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:03 PM

Yay! Lost 3.6 this week.
Returning Client.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users