138 replies to this topic

#121 andyb

andyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

Ok, this forum has some technical issues - I don't get the email when something is posted anymore. That's odd. Anyone else experiencing that too?

DB - I get what you mean, income is income, regardless on how little it is.
I'm excited about my WI tomorrow. I've been working pretty hard this week and I hope it shows on the scale. I've been on a plateau since September and I really hope to jumpstart the loss again. The trip I'm planning at the end of February is a good motivation. I want to be able to hike and walk around - oh, and fit on a plane comfortably - without getting tired or feeling like my feet can't hold me anymore. The plane thing's a big thing too - no pun intended. I have never needed an extender, and I really hope I never have to, but the taking some space off of your neighbour's seat is always super embarrassing. We shall see...

I've been exercising more, and motivating myself to get to 10 000 steps each day (getting to 310 000 steps is a goal for January). I've been doing good this weekend and I walked a lot, even though it was raining. But then again, in Vancouver, if you don't go out and walk when it's raining, well, you may never go out again...

Frankly, some days, I can't believe I let things go that far without reacting. I was great at contemplating and daydreaming about being in shape, but putting thought into action...not so much. Money played a big part in that, when I was a student, I was pretty much permanently broke and couldn't afford a gym membership, let alone a program like Jenny Craig. So I guess 2012 was the year. I'm not looking back - I can't afford to anyways! I am enjoying the changes. Some days they are harder to follow and to keep in mind than others, but what matters is not letting slip ups get to us (again, not always easy - but no one said it would be easy! But worth it!).

Alright, that'll be all for now. I hope you are all having better weather than what we are having here. It is raining A LOT. I got actually soaked through on my way back from work. Urgh.

Wish you all a good and successful week.

Overall goal

Posted Image

#122 DBRegatta

DBRegatta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

Hey Andyb. Wow look at you go!
Sounds like you are on the right track again

I'm sure it won't be long and you won't have to even think about wether a plane ride will be comfortable or not. A trip sounds wonderful
Good for you. I'm a little but jealous

Yes the weather here is not for fair weather people. Ppl often wonder why I would go dragon boat paddling in this weather. You get wet anyway so why not...

I like exercising in cool weather outside. I heat up too quickly in the sun so a rainy day is ok by me for that

I bet all your hard work will pay off

Cheers!

A year from now you will wish you had started today!
Think about where you would be if you hadnt already started.
Remember to congratulate yourself for your progress.

Start    176.8    Dec 19, 2012

First Goal    170

Second Goal   169.8

Target Goal     154.3   Target Date - March 31, 2013

#123 DBRegatta

DBRegatta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

Just a side thought. Hard work isn't always about what we DO

Sometimes hard work is simply resisting urges to fall back on a bad habit. That takes energy too so don't forget to be proud of hose times just as much as the time you go out to exercise. And get plenty of sleep. That helps weight loss too

Keep on truckin'. :-)

First Goal    170

Second Goal   169.8

#124 DBRegatta

DBRegatta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:16 AM

"those". Not hose
Lol

First Goal    170

Second Goal   169.8

#125 andyb

andyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

Hey DB, thanks for the reply!

I had a great first week, I was pretty active, watched - and tracked - what I was eating, and I lost an amazing 4.8lbs! Almost fell off the scale in the JC office when I saw the number (it's not just a figure of speech, I literally tripped and almost fell on my butt). I know this is kind of out of the ordinary for a week, but I'll take it and try to keep it up for the upcoming weeks. Success on the scale is always motivating!

Not falling back into bad habits is probably the hardest. The exercise and the new food are usually motivating - it's the novelty of everything I guess. But I'm trying ... Some days are harder than others, but what's important is to keep going. I had a not-so-great end of week - ate a bit too much on Thursday and got food poisoning yesterday (or some kind of serious food bug) and the only thing I could stomach was bread. I'm better today, but Thursday and Friday weren't great (couldn't attend the yoga and zumba classes I have on Friday since I thought it wouldn't be so smart with the queasy stomach and all!). But I'm back to exercising today - was up at dawn (went to bed pretty early last night) and walked around Stanley Park - for the first time since I moved to Vancouver. It's soooo nice outside, I might go for another walk later in the afternoon too.

How has 2013 treated you so far?

Overall goal

Posted Image

#126 DBRegatta

DBRegatta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

WOW Great to have over 4 lb loss in one week. WOW! Congrats! Good job!

OMG - I hate being sick! I'm so sorry to hear that. Hope you are better now.

You walk ALONE in Stanley Park THAT early? Be careful. Dont want to scare you but crime against women is usually worse in the early mornings in the cities (I heard that before and was surprised).
I dont think I would. I would wait until there are plenty of people around. I have worked in Van for many years and live out in the burbs so I'm not as used to hanging out in the city as much as you are I guess. Just watch who is around you and it will be fine. I guess there are a lot of people around??

I only re-started JC on Jan 11th really and weighed in this morning ... -3.2 woooo hoooo!
I was very happy about that.

Trying to take it day by day. After stopping everything for a few months I forgot how hard it is to lose even ONE pound. So I was very please that I worked hard and it paid off!

Congrats! and Here's to another great week for both of us! :-)

First Goal    170

Second Goal   169.8

#127 DBRegatta

DBRegatta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

Only 3.6 to go to get to my first mini goal :-) :rolleyes:

First Goal    170

Second Goal   169.8

#128 andyb

andyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

Oh 3.2 is a fantastic loss for your first week back. Congratulations! You'll be at your first mini goal in no time. It's a great feeling to work your b*tt off and see actual results on the scale. Keep up the good work!

Oh, I was in Stanley Park around 9am. I wouldn't go out there earlier than that. I woke up around 6 and felt super energetic, but only left home around 8 or so. There were lot's of people around, quite a few joggers and bikers (as I assumed it would be, since it was the first sunny Saturday morning in quite a while). By the time I got to the English Bay/West End side of the park, it was around 11, and the seawall was pretty packed.
Yesterday, I explored a new area - went to Pacific Spirit park, by UBC, late morning and it was pretty great too. But then I got lost on the UBC campus - as it happens every.single.time I go there - and had to walk a little more than planned. But it was a beautiful day and I ended up thoroughly enjoying it.

I lost a little less last week, but, still 6.1lbs in 2 weeks is pretty darn good. I'm still having trouble staying totally in control over the weekend and that's something I really need to work on. I just made myself a mug cake... Well, it's better than making a full sized cake, but it's still not great... : )

Are you back on the plan 100% or do you make up as you go? How do you plan when you are not 100% on Jenny?

Here's to a really successful week to you as well!

Overall goal

Posted Image

#129 DBRegatta

DBRegatta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

How long have you lived here again? I forget. I should get out more and be a tourist in my own town. Sounds like you are having some fun doing that. Getting lost can have a few advantages I guess. You see more than you expect and get more exercise

If I'm not 100% on plan I am usually trying to eat salads and veggies more or using weight watcher meals.

Not having the best week this time haven't exercised in 4 days and eating lots of chocolate

Feeling bad about that but will have to just put it behind me since I can't change the past It just Prolongs getting this done and I am kicking myself for that. I had so much enthusiasm a week ago. My motivation seems to come and go

I found a saying on Facebook.... "If you hate starting over, stop giving up". I need to remember that. Tomorrow is a new day

Ciao for now. Have a great week too!

First Goal    170

Second Goal   169.8

#130 DBRegatta

DBRegatta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

Obviously I'm thinking too much tonight (btw the time stamp on my last note indicates 7:20am which is wrong. It's 11:28 pm Jan 23)

I am Just so tired of "working" on losing this last 20 lbs

All the more reason not to give up but I'm just feeling like I don't want to do this anymore. I don't mean I want to give up but I'm tired of "needing " to lose weight. Year after year. That's why when I do screw up for a few days like this week it bothers me so much. Again I dragged it out.

Disappointing. Ill hang in there. Starting now. I won't get up in the middle of the night tonight and eat chocolate. Yes that's what I do sometimes if my dog gets me up to let her out. Bad. I only have the chocolate in the house because I am preparing for a fundraiser to make cupcakes for the SPCA. Probably shouldn't have volunteered for tht. But I'm committed now. Lol

First Goal    170

Second Goal   169.8

#131 DBRegatta

DBRegatta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

And btw. 6.2 in only 2 weeks IS awesome! Congrats!!

First Goal    170

Second Goal   169.8

#132 andyb

andyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

Hey DB,

I'm sorry it's taking me quite a while to reply - I still don't get the emails when something new is posted on this forum so it usually takes a while for me to see new posts.
I've lived in Vancouver for a little over 2 years (I guess close to 2 1/2 now actually... wow, time flies). I've noticed that I hadn't really taken the time to "be a tourist" and so I'm taking the time now. And enjoying it quite a bit. Still need to explore what's outside of Vancouver - maybe when the weather gets better.

I hope you can get back on track this week. It's a really sucky feeling when you can't get a grip. I've had a few rough days - after a fantastic couple of weeks - can't seem to exercise and my food intake is, well, less than great.

I really like that saying you posted. It is definitely true - probably a little harder to put into action, but I'll try to keep that in mind.

Good luck to you! Hope this week will be great!

Overall goal

Posted Image

#133 DBRegatta

DBRegatta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

Hello again,

Yes I need to take my own advise. If you hate staring over - stop giving up!!

I signed up to participate in the BC SPCA National Cupcake Day fundraiser.
Bad decision for my weight but good for the animals.

Since I've been making cupcakes and doing frosting flowers etc. for the past few months, a friend of mine came accross this event and sent the link to me. I thought it was perfect. I enjoy making cupcakes and I was making them for friends for free for months. Now I can do it and it goes to a good cause! Seemed like a perfect match.

Well, I'm all off track of course and have eaten left overs and licked frosting off my fingers etc. It is SO hard not to waste. Havent been preparing meals in advance or been very organized in the kitchen (which has really been my biggest problem -not so much the cupcakes) and slacked off the exercise too. I was SOO gung-ho then nothing. I will fix this.

SaveOn in Maple Ridge gave me 10 pastry boxes for free and a $25 gift card to go towards cost of ingredients so that was nice. Always pays to ask! I'm glad I did. Normally I wouldnt have asked but glad I took the chance. The Superstore in Pitt Meadows didnt respond to my email. I will go in and speak with the manager and see what happens.

I have a donation page set up and offered to make a dozen cupcakes for anyone who donates $40 or more to the SPCA

1 friend lives in Squamish and she donated $50 - she said she obviously doesnt expect cupcakes to be delivered- she just wanted to help. Another donated $50 but also declined the cupcakes due to diabetes - they just wanted to help
So far I have made 2 dozen for friends 1 pending for this weekend and 1 dozen I brought into the office to sell individually for $5 each. -

I only sold 4 cupcakes at the office but in total collected $40 for that dozen. I had to throw some out because they were sitting for too long (after I ate 2 of the left overs of course). But that's ok - I did collect $40 in total for that dozen.

The National Cupcake day is Feb 25th so I still have some time to make more but I dont have any other requests. I'm kind of glad because I dont really want to do it now. lol I set a $400 goal for myself not knowing how it would turn out. I think I'm at $300 - not bad really.

Anyhoo, I've noticed I fell back into some bad habits and need to take corrective measures! Staying diciplined is hard work when my focus is everywhere else. (new work schedule, looking for better job, trying to fit in exercise and stay on top of things... fundraiser blah blah blah...)

I really shouldnt have taken part in this fundraiser but couldnt resist. It's the first year for it and it feels good to have my efforts benefit the animals instead of just being for nothing. However it has taken my focus away from myself and my own goal. At least falling off track wasnt in vain. The animals benefit. I'm not expecting to get more orders (although I'd be happy to) so after this weekend it's 100% BACK TO ME! lol

Hope you are still doing well. You are probably leaps and bounds ahead now.

I too dont get the emails to let me know when someone has replied to the thread. So I only check once in a while. Probably a good thing because I can go on and on and on... boring everyone... lol

ciao

First Goal    170

Second Goal   169.8

#134 DBRegatta

DBRegatta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

I find it hard to understand how I can be SOOO gun-ho one week and then sooo NOT gung-ho the next.
I need balance. I knew I pushed hard that first week but didnt expect my motivation to drop off quite this much.

I need to find a way of reminding myself it will only be 2-3 months of focus then coast after that.
If I keep starting over it will drag out to be 12 months or more. It's already February.

You know I miss the days a few years ago when I was in a running club. There were some ladies there who were my age and we all got along great. We laughed and laughed and going running was soo much fun! Seemed like it was constant laughing. Eventually we all lost touch and I have yet to find another group where I enjoyed it quite so much.

I'd like to find something again that incorporates exercise and laughing. I guess I'll just have to get involved in things more often in order to do that. My friends are not exercise friendly. Love them but they never do anythign active other than drink wine. (I stopped drinking alcohol Jan 2012 and still havent had any. Just felt I wanted to give my body a break from it and I just havent felt the desire to re-start. Make me lazy.)

First Goal    170

Second Goal   169.8

#135 DBRegatta

DBRegatta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

BTW after typing all that above I felt guilty and took my dog for a walk / run. I havent done that in almost 2 weeks. Yay! (I've taken the dog out of course - I just havent been running)

I just got back :-) now i feel better.

First Goal    170

Second Goal   169.8

#136 andyb

andyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

Hi DB,

sorry for the very belated reply. I got hit with that tough bug/flu at the end of January, and it took me about three weeks to get back to normal - I hadn't been this sick in quite some time. I really hate that feeling that you're completely useless because your body isn't functioning as it should... I had a couple of not great weeks weight-wise (did ok with the food but go almost no exercise, since I was couch-bound when not at work), but I bounced back!
And then I went on holiday. I hadn't had a break in a long time, and it felt good to get away for a while. However, I went to the southern USA, where I enjoyed not only some sun, but some food as well.
I had a gain at my appointment on Wednesday, but I got right back on track. The day I came back, I went grocery shopping and prepped my food for a few days. It seems to have done the trick, as I'm back to my pre-vacation weight on my home scale. Just need to keep up with the exercise and make good choices and I know I can do it.
I tried to make a before/after picture, but I can't seem to find any "before" picture. I might have to ask my JCC if I can get the picture they took during my first appointment.

My parents are coming to Canada in April, and they haven't seen me in person since Feb 2012 - and I'd like them to be proud of me, so I'm going to be stepping up my game for the next month, in order to achieve that! Ideally, I'd be able to reach halfway, but I think I'm still 20lbs or so away from it, and it probably won't happen but I'll do my best to reach it. I'd like to start running too. I've lost over 50lbs and find that exercising is much easier (on one of my days away, I walked around 10 miles and though my feet were sore, it was mostly due to my shoes causing blisters and not to the fact that my feet couldn't sustain my weight anymore - and that's a great feeling (not the blisters though, they were pretty painful and made me walk kinda funny : ) ) and I'd like to start doing more cardio. I'm afraid to run on the treadmill - falling on my face is just too much of a possibility - so I'll have to run outside (which makes me feel self-counscious, with everyone running outside being in such great shape). Meh, I guess I'll have to learn how to deal and not care anymore!

I totally get the gung-ho one week, not so the next. It seems to be my MO as well... But the important is to realize that we can do better and regain focus as soon as possible.

How have you been doing in these past few weeks? Oh, and how did the BC SPCA fundraiser go?

Hope you're doing great!

Have a great weekend!

Overall goal

Posted Image

#137 andyb

andyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

Hi DB,

sorry for the very belated reply. I got hit with that tough bug/flu at the end of January, and it took me about three weeks to get back to normal - I hadn't been this sick in quite some time. I really hate that feeling that you're completely useless because your body isn't functioning as it should... I had a couple of not great weeks weight-wise (did ok with the food but go almost no exercise, since I was couch-bound when not at work), but I bounced back!
And then I went on holiday. I hadn't had a break in a long time, and it felt good to get away for a while. However, I went to the southern USA, where I enjoyed not only some sun, but some food as well.
I had a gain at my appointment on Wednesday, but I got right back on track. The day I came back, I went grocery shopping and prepped my food for a few days. It seems to have done the trick, as I'm back to my pre-vacation weight on my home scale. Just need to keep up with the exercise and make good choices and I know I can do it.
I tried to make a before/after picture, but I can't seem to find any "before" picture. I might have to ask my JCC if I can get the picture they took during my first appointment.

My parents are coming to Canada in April, and they haven't seen me in person since Feb 2012 - and I'd like them to be proud of me, so I'm going to be stepping up my game for the next month, in order to achieve that! Ideally, I'd be able to reach halfway, but I think I'm still 20lbs or so away from it, and it probably won't happen but I'll do my best to reach it. I'd like to start running too. I've lost over 50lbs and find that exercising is much easier (on one of my days away, I walked around 10 miles and though my feet were sore, it was mostly due to my shoes causing blisters and not to the fact that my feet couldn't sustain my weight anymore - and that's a great feeling (not the blisters though, they were pretty painful and made me walk kinda funny : ) ) and I'd like to start doing more cardio. I'm afraid to run on the treadmill - falling on my face is just too much of a possibility - so I'll have to run outside (which makes me feel self-counscious, with everyone running outside being in such great shape). Meh, I guess I'll have to learn how to deal and not care anymore!

I totally get the gung-ho one week, not so the next. It seems to be my MO as well... But the important is to realize that we can do better and regain focus as soon as possible.

How have you been doing in these past few weeks? Oh, and how did the BC SPCA fundraiser go?

Hope you're doing great!

Have a great weekend!

Overall goal

Posted Image

#138 andyb

andyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:09 AM

Oh cr*p, these forums have some serious problems - sorry for the multiple posting of my reply. And there I thought it hadn't even worked once (I had saved my text in a word document to post it this morning) but when I checked this morning, here it is three times!

Overall goal

Posted Image

#139 DBRegatta

DBRegatta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:22 PM

Geez it's been a long time since I've written. Lots happened. New job - Yay! Hurt back - Boo... very badly actually. Shampooing carpets I slipped a disk. Could hardly walk and was in soooo much pain. Feeling better now. Much better. I can move and walk with no pain. Will be starting exercise this week. Lightly. THe SPCA fundraiser went well. You made me realize how long it's been. Those cupcakes did me in!!!!! NEVER should have taken that up as a hobby. Havent made any since. Got on the scale yesterday and almost died. Well I'm not starting over from where I started before but holy cow!!! Wouldn't you know it my first day I get invited to a BBQ. First time socializing in literally months. So I went and enjoyed. Started the next day - today. Not sure if you will see this. Sounds like you have been doing well .... I hope your parents noticed the difference - 50 lbs is noticeable. Don't worry about running outside. Most people never take note of the people around them anyway. You know what they say.... people don't think about us as much as we think they do! lol Good luck I hope you are well. Did you notice they put the prices on the website... I think I liked it better when I didn't really know. lol

First Goal    170

Second Goal   169.8

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users