• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 cassandspark

cassandspark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:02 AM

Newbie question: consultant said no greek yogurt..when I went to the grocery I found that most 6 ounce fat free yogurts have approx 170 cals, 33 carbs, no fiber, 5 grams protein compared to 6 ounce chobani greek yogurt vanilla (my fav!!): 120 cals, 13 carbs, no fiber, 16 grams protein...so, seems to me like the greek yogurt is a better option..don't want to blow the diet because of some secret about the greek yogurt that I don't know about?!?! txs:) :rolleyes:

#2 Blessed4Life2

Blessed4Life2

(:Forum Optimistologist:)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,977 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:28 AM

I really dont know why your jcc said no....many of us here eat Greek Yogurt and it has never affected my weight loss. I dont think it will blow your diet by any means.....no worries.

I always tell everyone to read the labels and do your own research.....which you have, so good for you!!!!
*´¨)
  ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•`
MeLissa~

Posted Image

"reached my goal (-64 lbs) and now ROCKIN' maintenance....WooHoooooo"

#3 roxylove6

roxylove6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:32 AM

i love the fage plain non fat greek yogurt it is 100 calories. i add berries and a zero cal sweetener and it tastes great every morning.

#4 LadyJ426

LadyJ426

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:24 AM

That's weird - it does seem like a better option. Maybe ask your JCC to elaborate?

~ Jennifer ~

!!! Mom to 6-year-old Twins !!!

What would you attempt, if you knew you could not fail?

Posted Image

#5 Emberosia

Emberosia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:10 AM

Chobani fat free greek yogurt with the fruit is my fave. Six ounces is 140 cals, so I just eat half and save the other half for the next day. It THICK and creamy and rich and I am not sure I could eat the whole thing anyway. My JCC said it was OK to eat the whole thing, but if I do, I break my 1200 calorie count and it just isn't worth it.

#6 etully16

etully16

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:22 PM

I've also been eating Greek Yogurt and continuing to lose weight each week- I say go for it!
Joined 2/21/2012

Posted Image

#7 cassandspark

cassandspark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

Thanks everybody, just finished my greek yogurt guilt free :))

#8 france exchange

france exchange

Prudie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

I use the plain greek yogurt in my chili dinners rather than fat free sour cream. It's really good. With what is left over I do the same as Roxyglove6 with fruit. I have also used it with cabbage and seasonings to make a coleslaw that's very creamy.
I never asked my JCC, just looked at label and decided it was a good thing!

New goal--170

Posted Image
            Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Prudie

Posted Image

Back in the saddle again!  Caught myself due to clothes being too tight.  Thank goodness I got rid of the big clothes!
Started January 23, 2012 at 275 lb.

#9 france exchange

france exchange

Prudie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:55 PM

Just a note about yogurt--we are supposed to be using the fat-free, light (sugar free) versions that will be lower calorie than the greek yogurt. The yoplait light is 100 cal but only has 6 grams protein (and no fat). My greek yogurt has nearly twice the grams of protein, but that helps when I'm exercising a lot.
New goal--170

Posted Image
            Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Prudie

Posted Image

Back in the saddle again!  Caught myself due to clothes being too tight.  Thank goodness I got rid of the big clothes!
Started January 23, 2012 at 275 lb.

#10 MichelleK1014

MichelleK1014

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:01 AM

My JCC said something similar, but it had to do with the calorie content; not the fact that it was "Greek" necessarily. I substitute the yogurt as one of my mid-day snacks. My absolute favorite is the Chobani Champions. It's a smaller version (actually made for children, I think) but it's perfect. The "chocolate chunk" flavor is like eating melted ice cream! Perfect for getting me through an afternoon. What is doesn't have in quantity is surpassed by the quality of the flavor!

#11 NightNurseJilly

NightNurseJilly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

I was told that the fat Free Chobani yogurts are fine as long as they are under 170 calories. Most of them I found are 140. I have them daily and they have not affected my weight loss.

#12 DocJ

DocJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:48 PM

Sounds like most folks are on the same page. I was told any yogurt was fine, aslong as it's between 80 and 110 calories. THere are several greek yogurts I like at the 110 calorie range. They include Stonyfields Oikos Honey Fig or Strawberry, Fage plain, and Chobani's Apricot-Mango. Lower cal yougurts include Dannon Light and Fit (80 calories) all flavors. I feel more satisfied with yogurt than with milk, so I've beeneating them every day and still losing each week. Good luck!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wOZC2N7/]
Posted Image

#13 Jess31

Jess31

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

I was told at my JCC that I should have yogurt under 90-100 calories. My greek yogurt is more but I only eat one instead of 2 a day (I use it as both milks). Also my father got to his goal eating the greek ones.

#14 Jersey0527

Jersey0527

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:11 PM

Is it ok for me to eat the Fat Free Chobani Strawberry greek yogurt? It's my 3rd day on the program... thanks for any help!

#15 Blessed4Life2

Blessed4Life2

(:Forum Optimistologist:)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,977 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:27 PM

Is it ok for me to eat the Fat Free Chobani Strawberry greek yogurt? It's my 3rd day on the program... thanks for any help!

That should be fine Jersey. When you have your next consult, just run it by your jcc to be certain.
*´¨)
  ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•`
MeLissa~

Posted Image

"reached my goal (-64 lbs) and now ROCKIN' maintenance....WooHoooooo"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users