19 replies to this topic

#1 cdgoldilocks

cdgoldilocks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:21 PM

I wish Jenny Craig featured more "regular" spokespeople, ESPECIALLY in this economy.

Why pay people like Mariah Carey to feature your program, when we all know they have access to trainers, nannies, all KINDS of financial perks that we "regular" folks don't. I know that for me, celebrities do not influence me using products at ALL. I am much more swayed to try a product if "regular" people are endorsing them.

I think in this economy, people need to see Jenny as a value.....like an investment in their overall health and wellbeing.

For several YEARS, I wanted to join Jenny. I have used it before and know it works. I just needed to convince myself that the investment of money was worth it. I needed to remind myself that even losing just 10% of my body weight would cut my risk for health problems DRASTICALLY...not to mention how positive it makes me feel to look thinner. Additionally, my kids seeing me take care of myself is a wonderful way to role model.

I guess my point is that if a "regular" person like me had been on tv telling me that I was worth the investment, I might have done this much sooner.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this?
Posted Image

#2 BelugaBabe

BelugaBabe

"Here's lookin' at you, kid!"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:07 PM

JC, IMHO, has a major disconnect in this regard. Honestly? No one cares about Mariah Carey. IMHO ( and YMMV), she is a privileged diva, to the max. Very few (if any) of us plebian folk can identify with her. She is most definitely NOT like us---not familiar with the difficulties that we face on a daily basis nor with the realities that present roadblocks that prevent us from reaching our weight loss goals.
JC (again, IMHO) should focus on the health issues, the needs and the desires of people to make their lives better...not the desire to emulate "SuperStars."
Get a grip, JC. With all due respect, of course.
Posted Image

"If hunger is not the problem, eating is not the solution."

Willpower Definition

Willpower is the inner strength to make decisions, take action and handle and execute an aim or a task, regardless of inner resistance, discomfort or difficulty or external influences. It is inner firmness, decisiveness, determination, resolution, persistence and the power to push towards any goal.

Here's a link to pages of my favorite weight loss motivational book, "100 Days of Weight Loss" by Linda Spangle. Please click on and enjoy her wonderful writings:

http://books.google....K...p;q&f=false

#3 Blessed4Life2

Blessed4Life2

(:Forum Optimistologist:)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,977 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:19 PM

I totally agree.....I have often said JC should use "REAL" folks, like ones here on this forum. We have some real good success stories....some have lost 100 - 200 lbs and more.

When I was watching Dr. Oz the other day and he had Jennifer Hudson on his show, she was AMAZING! You could just tell she was really into the program, and so down to earth. I have to say WW's really got it right with their commercials, by involving real ppl along with her. Then I noticed jc did the same thing and followed suit. lol
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•`
MeLissa~

Posted Image

"reached my goal (-64 lbs) and now ROCKIN' maintenance....WooHoooooo"

#4 I Called Jenny

I Called Jenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,822 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:09 AM

Hear, hear! JC on occasion has featured some of the "real" folks in their ads and it is much more inspiring.

In my center they have before and after photos of folks like us who have lost 20 to 100-plus lbs. and those are the photos I always gravitated toward.

And Mariah, well, she almost seems embarrassed to admit that JC was any part of her program when she is interviewed on TV shows that aren't specifically a JC "spokesperson" spot.

Bring in the "real" people. It will cost less and inspire more...IMHO.
Phyllis

Height: 5'2
SW - 177.6
Goal! - 132
Returning Weight - 143
CW - GOAL AGAIN!!!

Posted Image

Before JC with hubby and nephews in 2006/After JC (2nd time) in 2011

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 nancy5012

nancy5012

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:59 AM

I think celebrity spokespeople like Jennifer Hudson and Marie Osmond - both who have kept the weight off for awhile and openly speak about their experiences are better than someone like Mariah - who has never really "spoken" about her JC experience.

And I do understand the name recognition for companies who want to use celebs, but I think the one spokesperson who ever got me to buy something was Jared from Subway. Here was a regular guy that needed to lose a lot of weight and did it on his own - and has kept it off for what 10 years now? I'm sure that Subway provides him with a trainer now along with other perks, but he took the weight off on his own.
Nancy

Do or do not....there is no try Posted Image

Posted Image

My Weight Chart:
Posted Image
>

Posted Image

#6 jenrdn69

jenrdn69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:07 AM

Mariah C speaks to a certain segmant of the population --- just perhaps not the individuals on this board. While I know many are not pleased with the more 'revealing' or 'sexy' photos of her that they have up, there are many people who say DARN I WANT TO LOOK LIKE THAT.

So, give MC her due -- she did loose the weight and she did use JC. Yeah, she has all the celebrity perks, but so do all the other celebrities who loose weight on a program (including those doing nutrisystem).....and, they have an added incentive -- if they loose weight, the get MONEY for being a spokesperson!

Yes, JC could have done the whole mariah thing better. JC can do alot of things better. But, having anyone who is famous promote the program really does get people to take notice --- ok, I'm not an add person, but there are so many companies that have spokespeople that I have to figure that it does work.

As for everyone already on JC complaining about MC, well....doesn't matter to JC --- we are already clients! MC may well appeal to a different demographic --- studies are showing how obese and overweight the children and teens in the US are getting -- many will look at MC and say "I want to be like her" and maybe think about joining.
Jen
Height: 5'8"
Heighest ever: 240 lbs in 2000

Goal: 140
Reached in 2009

No matter what your last choice was, you can make the next one a positive one.

Restart in October 2011: 172
Realistic Goal that I can maintain: 150

10/8: 168.6 (-3.4)
10/15: 167.6 (-1.0)
10/22: 166.2 (-1.4) Just need to do this
10/29: 167.4 (+1.2) WHAT THE BLEEP?! That one is out of nowhere
11/6: 169.6 (+2.2) Well this just sucks.
11/11: 166.0 (-3.6) THANK YOU. GOTTA hang onto this loss!
11/20: 165.6 (-0.4). Yes -- its going down. All I can ask for.
11/28: 167.4 (+1.8). OK I just can't take this anymore.
12/2: NO WI. Super Sick
12/10: 164.0 (-3.4). Much better. Gotta keep it under 165 now.
12/17: 165.6 (+1.6) NOT AGAIN. This just isn't working for me.
12/26: 167.4 (+1.8) REALLY? I did so well. This sucks.

Stopping JC. Trying a nutritionist.
1/14: 164.8 (-2.6) That is nice. Yipee!
1/21: 167.4 (+2.6) Good Lord! What is going on.
2/19: 167.0 (-0.4) Nearly a month and no gain. Good. Normalize eating, off low calories.

Injured back, on prednisone again! UGH! No hard workouts.

3/1: 168.6 (+1.6). SUCKY! I hate prednisone.
3/16: 166.6 (-2.0). OK.
4/8:163.2 (-3.4). That is 3 weeks, I'll take it.
4/28: 162.0 (-1.2). Three weeks again.
5/5: 160.6 (-1.4). Gotta keep this up.
5/15:164 (+3.4) Totally sucky.
6/1: 161.8 (-2.2). Ah, the jen roller coaster. Just my pattern.
6/2: 160.0 (-1.8) . Well then, didn't lose that in a day?! Go figure!
7/3: 162.2 (+2.2). Yup. Roller coaster.
7/28:161.6 (-0.6). Holding steady, ok.

#7 Blessed4Life2

Blessed4Life2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,977 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:03 AM

Jenrdn69, I dont think we are disagreeing with you...well, for the most part anyway.ha.....we are all stating the fact that MC didnt act enthused or really into the whole jc experience like Jennifer does for WW....plus, she just all of sudden showed up AFTER she lost the weight...unlike Valerie, and others who took us on their journey's. Just judging from MC's interview with jc and by the interview she did with E!....she didnt even mention JC, instead she said she lost the weight by means of a no sugar, and low meat diet. Heck, I say give JC their due's if anything!

We would all rather have someone that is "real" and genuine. Jennifer Hudson is real and genuine....Valerie was real and genuine....Sara as well etc.... I dont have a problem w/her warerobe on the posters....some do and I can certainly see why. Thats all we are saying!!!

It's probably true that JC doesnt really listen to us here on the boards b/c we are already clients.....but word of mouth, referrals and return clientele are what keeps jc's cash flowing ultimately....so jc SHOULD take notice of us here on these boards!

You say give MC her due's b/c she lost the weight...sure she lost it, but how...we arent sold on the fact she did it solely w/jc.....like I said, others took us on their journey. Thats the ones we can relate to. Its not about WHO she is...sure she is an Icon and Diva...yada yada yada....thats all good, but her whole attitude was a turn off from the get go. Of course all this is MHO!
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•`
MeLissa~

Posted Image

#8 jenrdn69

jenrdn69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:48 AM

I guess what bugs me is that people appear so critical (and negative) of her as a spokesperson. Maybe she's not a great spokesperson...maybe she lost weight doing JC and a combo of other things...maybe she didn't put herself out there during the weight loss phase because she didn't want to fail in front of so many people -- and people like to see vulnerablitlity...Frankly, I don't relate to Mariah, but I didn't to Valerie either....Valerie also had a trainer and for her photo shoot in the bikini -- she took diaretics before to look so slim (it was in the article). My point --- for anyone who looses weight --- no matter how --- good for them. And good for them for talking about it. Just because a person isn't my idea of a role model for weight loss, being critical of them for that is not something I'll do.
Jen

Reached in 2009

2/19: 167.0 (-0.4) Nearly a month and no gain. Good. Normalize eating, off low calories.

#9 BelugaBabe

BelugaBabe

"Here's lookin' at you, kid!"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:05 AM

Maybe it's just me but I haven't seen any JC Mariah commercials on TV except for the original "unzipping" ones and none at all lately. It seems odd because New Year's is the traditional time for resolutions and weight loss program enrollments and gym commitments. WW and Nutrisystem ads are in full swing. Marie Osmond brings out "real" people with before and after pics.
Missy, I saw Jennifer Hudson on the Dr. Oz show and totally agree with you. She's a fantastic spokesperson for WW. She is obviously genuinely into the program, bringing her overweight family members into it too (several were in the audience and had also been successful with WW). She shows real enthusiasm and there is no doubt that she is a true believer in WW and a great advocate for the program.
As far as criticizing weight loss program spokespeople---hey, they put themselves out there. And they're all professional people already in the public eye (except for Jared) and no doubt know what comes with accepting the role of spokesperson, including the possibility of criticism.
Jennifer Hudson inspires me, Mariah does not. But that's just me.
Anyway, I think a spokesperson might get us thinking about a particular weight loss program but ultimately it's how well a particular program fits into our own lives that keeps us going with it.
Other things factor in, of course---dietary needs and restrictions, convenience, and of course affordability. JC is undoubtedly expensive and out of the range of many, especially if you go full boat (which is what you really must do, at least in the early stages of the program). It is a food-based program and you simply must buy the food. Substituting is generally frowned upon and it's tough to get your weekly bill down if you are committed to doing the program as it was designed. Sure, you can skip the vitamins, the Anytime bars, and the soupitizers but that's about it. So it's expensive, bottom line.
Sorry, slipping OT here.... :blink:
Posted Image

"If hunger is not the problem, eating is not the solution."

Willpower Definition

Willpower is the inner strength to make decisions, take action and handle and execute an aim or a task, regardless of inner resistance, discomfort or difficulty or external influences. It is inner firmness, decisiveness, determination, resolution, persistence and the power to push towards any goal.

Here's a link to pages of my favorite weight loss motivational book, "100 Days of Weight Loss" by Linda Spangle. Please click on and enjoy her wonderful writings:

http://books.google....K...p;q&f=false

#10 Blessed4Life2

Blessed4Life2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,977 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:10 PM

being critical of them for that is not something I'll do.

Thats great!...and I dont believe others here are intending to be either, we are just stating the facts put before us and voicing the way we see it....like Beluga said, they put themselves out there, so its expected to get criticism I am sure.....but as always, different strokes for different folks! ;)
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•`
MeLissa~

Posted Image

#11 AnnLouise

AnnLouise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:16 PM

I would love to look like Mariah but let's get real. JC should show us real folks that struggle with weight every day. Not the billionaire divas that have access to all the things money can buy like personal trainers.

#12 cdgoldilocks

cdgoldilocks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:43 PM

I think Mariah Carey is very pretty, and her voice is nothing short of amazing. However, as a weight loss inspiration, I don't admire her. Nothing against her, it's just that she has access to things to make her weight loss journey much less of a struggle. I don't relate to her on the same level I do a "normal" person.

I work full time at an 8-5 job. I have two kids that have homework, activities. I don't have a gardener or housekeeper,etc. I have to do a LOT, and I have to figure all of my "life" into changing my lifestyle. I want to see how "normal" people have done it. What kind of tips and tricks do they have to offer me? How do "normal" people reward themselves for all their hardwork? How do "normal" people cope with stress and eating out?

I "get" that some people are inspired by celebrities. I just don't get Mariah Carey. I clicked the link to see her "story" and I just get twitter feeds and other stuff.

While Jenny may not care about what current customers think, I just joined. If anyone reads this in their marketing dept., I would like them to know that Mariah Carey was actually a negative for me. Are they marketing that I too can become a diva? Can only wealthy people afford Jenny? What are they selling?

I would love them to show an average woman losing all that weight, then going into a discount store like Ross or to a Victoria's Secret and ROCKIN' some new, cute clothes that fit well and are affordable. But, that's just me....because that is what I envision myself doing when I reach my goal. I am throwing out all the frumpy stuff and sporting some new outfits. IMO, people need to see that they CAN afford to do this and it does NOT take an entourage to do it.

But that is my perspective. I don't mean to offend or offput anyone in sharing.
Posted Image

#13 Blessed4Life2

Blessed4Life2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,977 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:58 PM

But that is my perspective. I don't mean to offend or offput anyone in sharing.

You havent offended me...thx for sharing your thoughts, thats what this forum is for.....whether we agree or disagree, its all good!
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•`
MeLissa~

Posted Image

#14 jenrdn69

jenrdn69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:07 AM

I wasn't offended. I just can't understand why Mariah is singled out when all the other celebs have the same benefits --- trainers, more time than most 'regular' working people, etc. They aren't ' regular' people -- any more than those on the Biggest Looser represent weight loss in the 'real' world . I watch the nutrisystem commercials and say --- those guys have the perks too --- but to in the end, its still THEM loosing the weight and no matter how much help someone might have (think Oprah), it isn't easy and not all succeed. So I applaud anyone who does, no matter how I feel about them as a spokesperson for whatever they choose.
Jen

Reached in 2009

#15 Blessed4Life2

Blessed4Life2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,977 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:33 AM

I just can't understand why Mariah is singled out ---

LOL, ok....I think we get that now jenrdn! ;)
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•`
MeLissa~

Posted Image

#16 clm825

clm825

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:53 AM

I just saw a commercial for JC this morning that looks like regular people, not celebs. Some beautiful ladies. Has anyone else seen it! Very inspiring!

Cindy
Cindy

Posted Image

As of 9/8/12 Lost 18 lbs
Recommit Date: 2/18/13 at 176 lbs

#17 cdgoldilocks

cdgoldilocks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:56 AM

I think the point of my post was that I just want to see more people like me as spokespeople.

I didn't mean to single Mariah Carey out of the bunch, she is just the most recent spokesperson, who literally came out of nowhere at the end of her journey.

I guess we are all motivated by different things.
Posted Image

#18 robrob

robrob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:13 AM

I saw Jennifer Hudson on the Dr. Oz show, and what I like about her is she has bought into the whole package, not just WW, but what she cooks, her exercise program, getting her family on board, and just being healthy in general. She really inspired me, and I felt like she took over the show from Dr Oz. But he seemed to be enjoying every minute of it. I have also seen her in several magazine articles lately advertising her new book.
She has been through a lot in her personal life, and I wish the best for her.
Robin

Posted Image

On maintenance since March 2010!

#19 squeenthin43

squeenthin43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:46 AM

People look at being inspired in differant ways. mariah is not really open about her weight loss and that for people real people is not good. I know that we all are on this journey fot our selves but as for me when I see some one on this path who tells of their struggles like sarah and valarie. we walked with them they let you in from the beginning Mariah when she was THIN said this is what i did. Real people want to see where you started. Also people get the star confussed with real life yes shes a singer and you can be a fan but at the end of the day being a fan of Mariah doesnt bring you any closer to your own destination. And every body is entitled to their own opinon w/o being made to feel bad. Also when real people spend $125 and up a week on food, they really do want to see other people in their bracket. Also I have seen the commercial with real people still it does have Mariah there also. :unsure:
Sneather AKA (BETTY-BOOP)!!!!!!!

#20 KC48

KC48

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:52 PM

Jenny - are you serious?!? Mariah Carey? And, how crazy is that commercial? Good thing I've been a long time Jenny client - Mariah and her commercial would not have inspired me to sign up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users