• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 JennyCaps

JennyCaps

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:15 PM

I posted this post on another topic, however I wanted to start a new one with some ideas for substituting and get other people's recipes for doing meals on my own.

I just lost 32 pounds and finally feel comfortable substituting (my halfway was 25 pounds). I've been doing Jenny since May 2011.

I'm in Canada so I'm not sure what you have in the US... but I have found a substitute for every single snack! The portions are smaller and my consultant did tell me not to add anything like fruit to it. She said just eat the snacks as a subsititute as long as the ingredients and nutritional label match.

Next research I did was on finding a cookbook. I went on Amazon and found "The Diabetes Diet Cookbook."

Essentially, the food looks amazing, it's very high in fiber and low in sugars and sodium. The book boasts that cooking these foods you will lose up to 2 pounds/week. When comparing the recipes, it's pretty much the same foods (only difference is I can finally make my dinners with fresh ingredients from scratch. I live with a chef... which is partially why I gained the weight in the first place. He hates watching me eat frozen meals all the time.) Another great part about this book is every recipe has diet exchanges. So I know exactly how many starch/meat/dairy I am getting in each meal. It really is worth the 20 bucks and most recipes look so easy. I'll post again when I start cooking.

I'm not cutting out JC foods. My next order will have only 7 breakfasts, 7 dinners, 7 snacks and 14 lunches. Lunch has to be easy for me or I will eat out so I'm not ready to give up my JC lunches every day (and I might never be ready to do so). So on a two week order, I will make my own breakfast and dinner every other day.

Pretty much everything has a substitute.

100 Calories SmartFood Popcorn- Substitute for JC popcorn
Fat 6g
Saturated fat: 1g
Trans: 0.1g
Cholesterol: 5mg
Sodium: 140mg
carbs: 9g
Fiber: 1g
Sugars: 1g
Protein: 2g

JC Popcorn:
Calories: 130
Fat: 6g
Saturated: 1g
Trans: 0g
cholesterol: 5mg
Sodium: 200mg
Carbs: 15g
Fiber: 3g
Protein: 5g

Mr. Christies Thinsations Chocolate Covered Pretzels- Substitute for JC Toffee Cookies
Calories: 100
Fat: 3.5g
Saturated: 2g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 160mg
Carbs: 16g
Fiber: 0g
Sugars: 7g

JC Toffee Cookies:
Calories: 120
Fat: 5g
Saturated: 2.5g
Sodium: 90mg
Carbs: 17g
Protein: 1g

Mr. Christie Thinsations Nutter Butter Bars- Substitute for JC Chocolate Caramel Peanut Bar
Trans:0g
Sodium: 95mg
Carbs: 18g
Sugars: 8g
Protein 2g

JC Chocolate Caramel Peanut Bar:
Calories: 140
Saturated: 3.5g
Carbs: 19g
Fiber: 2g
Sugars: 14g
Protein: 6g

Baked Cheetos 100 Calorie Packs- Substitute for JC Cheese Curls
Fat: 4g
Saturated: 0.5g
Sodium 180mg
Carbs: 14g

JC Cheese Curls:
Sodium: 230mg

The portions are smaller.... but the price is also astronomically smaller. In Canada it is $2.99 for a pack of 5. In the Mr. Christie cookies, there are dozens of flavours from chocolate chip cookies to Soft Baked Cheesecake Delight bars. All of which are comparable to JC snacks. So for my next JC order I only ordered a few cheesecakes because I have yet to find a delicious substitute for these. Also the Key Lime Pie just came out and I'm dying to try it.

Check out my Blog for pics and tips

My link

#2 JennyCaps

JennyCaps

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:57 PM

As an add on- I just made my first meal on my own for dinner. It's from the diabetes cookbook and it was such a refreshing change to frozen meals and SO easy.

Skinny Monte Cristo

Ingredients:
2 slices of whole wheat, thin sliced toasted bread
1 slice low sodium deli ham
1 slice low sodium deli turkey
1 slice swiss cheese
Black Pepper to taste
a pince of nutmeg
1 egg white
1/4 teaspoon confectioners sugar (optional- I didn't use this and it was still delicious)

Directions:
1. Layer the ham, turkey and cheese on one slice of toast. Pepper to taste. Top with the other slice of toast.
2. Coat a cast iron skillet with vegetable oil spray and place over medium heat for two minutes. In a shallow bowl, slightly stir the nutmeg into the egg whites. dip one side of the sandwich into the egg whites and let the excess drip off. Repeat on the other side.
3. Cook for about three minutes on each side or until the meat is warmed through, the cheese is melting and the egg is cooked. Slice diagonally. Dust with sugar and serve right away.

Double up on ingredients to serve two.

Per Serving:
190 Calories
18g carbohydrate
17g protein
6g fat
3g saturated fat
30mg cholesterol
440 mg sodium
5g fiber

Dietary Exchanges:
1 and a half starch
2 meat
1 fat

My link

#3 Erica 1980

Erica 1980

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:59 PM

Jenny Caps, Congrats on your loss! The book sounds great, and the recipes as well! Thank you for the info! :rolleyes:

Let's do this! Thank you for welcoming me back, Jenny family!

The school of hard knocks is closed, let's get the weight off!

Changes.

SW: 168 4/15/13
CW:168
Goal 1: 158 6/15/13
Goal 2: 150 7/20/13 (Dolls Tournament)
FGW: 120 12/27/13 (No better gift for my birthday!

#4 amylb

amylb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:54 PM

Awesome!! Thank you!! I am not very confident to try lunches or dinners on my own(breakfast I can do easy!), but I am really ready to get my own snacks and cut some costs a little bit! I have seen SmartFood Popcorn in US stores, but not sure about the Thinsations. They look very similar to our 100 calorie snacks, but I think by a different brand. Anyone know if they are sold in the US?

TTC and need to lose this weight!! I WILL DO THIS!!

#5 JennyCaps

JennyCaps

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 07:28 PM

Awesome!! Thank you!! I am not very confident to try lunches or dinners on my own(breakfast I can do easy!), but I am really ready to get my own snacks and cut some costs a little bit! I have seen SmartFood Popcorn in US stores, but not sure about the Thinsations. They look very similar to our 100 calorie snacks, but I think by a different brand. Anyone know if they are sold in the US?

No problem! I didn't do lunches or dinners until I was ready 100%. The Jenny food became like a crutch to me. I'm still ordering Jenny since I published this post, however I'm up to 4 days/week of making my own breakfasts and dinners. I'm losing on average 2 and a half pounds per week with the MOMO/Jenny combination when before when I was just on Jenny I was at 1 pound/week. But again, I waiting until after my half way point to start MOMO's. I needed to be in the right frame of mind.

I plan out the week fully and completely. Right down to planning out the prep time for chopping the veggies. So far I've made meals like Potato Dumpling Caserole, Chicken Fingers, Chicken Cacciatore, Turkey Tacos and Monte Cristo Sandwiches all from the cookbook I bought. Tomorrow I am making stuffed peppers in the slow cooker. My boyfriend is a chef and he said the casserole was the best thing I have ever made (I used to cook high fat foods for him all the time).

The cookbook helps me more than I can say because the exchanges are listed. I also tell my consultant ahead of time which meals I planned out and she advises me if they are good choices.

If the stuffed peppers work out tomorrow then I'll post the recipe. There is only 240 calories for one and it looks delicious!

For more info you can check out my blog at www.fat2skinnyjen.blogspot.com

My link

#6 katesfan72

katesfan72

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:52 AM

Wow! Thanks for posting the Monte Cristo recipe! I'll have to have that with some sugar free jam...

I keep looking for good recipes in the forums that have included exchanges, and I can never find any, only talk about Jenny food. Thank you so much for posting your recipe! Glad people are sharing their creative sparks.
Katie E.

Start Weight: 220
Goal Weight: 155

#7 JennyCaps

JennyCaps

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:26 PM

Wow! Thanks for posting the Monte Cristo recipe! I'll have to have that with some sugar free jam...

I keep looking for good recipes in the forums that have included exchanges, and I can never find any, only talk about Jenny food. Thank you so much for posting your recipe! Glad people are sharing their creative sparks.

No problem! Now that I've been cooking on my own for a few weeks I've made some DELICIOUS recipes! I'll post a few tonight when I get home... Lasagna...crab cakes.... Gnocci caserole....Yummy stuff!

My link

#8 Willing1

Willing1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:52 PM

Wow! I'm so impressed with your research and :) the hope you're sharing as you find meals on your own. I reached my 1/2 way point last week but am kind of scared to try meals on my own. My counselor isn't pushing me, thank goodness.

I have a sense of security with the written food plan and prepared meals. How do you plan ahead? Do you have a calendar or a day planner? Help? Your sucessful planning approach may be a way for me to set up a structure that helps me stay on track and feel safe.

Thanks for the hope and inspiration!!

#9 JennyCaps

JennyCaps

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:26 AM

Wow! I'm so impressed with your research and :) the hope you're sharing as you find meals on your own. I reached my 1/2 way point last week but am kind of scared to try meals on my own. My counselor isn't pushing me, thank goodness.

I have a sense of security with the written food plan and prepared meals. How do you plan ahead? Do you have a calendar or a day planner? Help? Your sucessful planning approach may be a way for me to set up a structure that helps me stay on track and feel safe.

Thanks for the hope and inspiration!!

Oh my goodness was I ever nervous. The Jenny foods became more than a crutch to me. I was almost in a panic. Lucky for me, I'm borderline obsessive about planning so this gave me a project.

First thing I did in my plan was research the **** out of cookbooks. Just like Jenny Craig, in a cookbook everything is laid out for you in terms of how much you need of each ingredient and what to buy. In my research I found a lot of crappy cookbooks that pretend to be diet. The best one I found is called "The Diabetic Cookbook." I ordered it on Amazon and when it arrived I literally read the whole thing.

Secondly, I designated a day for planning and prep. Sunday is my planning day. I go through the cookbook and choose 3 to 4 recipes for dinner for example. From those recipes, I see how many servings. Since I also feed my boyfriend, I minus how much he would eat from that and for a recipe like lasagna I figure that will last me for two days (and it feeds my colleagues for lunch the next day too.) So lets say I chose Lasagna, Chicken Fingers and crab cakes. The lasagna lasts two days. I now have chosen four nights of dinners on my own.

Next I make a grocery list on the Sunday. I separate my list based on sections (produce, meats, dairy etc) so I don't miss anything, and then I take my recipe book and I write out everything the recipes are calling for. I also add snacks and whatnot that my boyfriend needs to the list, and then grocery shopping becomes much easier. I have a rule- if it's not on the list then I don't need it to make the meals I have planned out. Same day I make the list I go and do the groceries.

Finally I write out on a day planner which meals are for which days. I slot in the days I will eat Jenny meals instead. If the meal requires prep work, I actually slot in the times for prep and will do it the night before (when I am eating my jenny meal for example.

Once you get into it, it becomes so much fun to discover how good fresh food from scratch really tastes. I brought in a potato dumpling caserole to work (some recipes make way too much) and my colleagues were begging me for the reference. When I told them each serving only had 300 calories, they didn't even believe that something could taste so good and be good for you. Jenny tastes great, don't get me wrong, but cooking for yourself and still seeing the weight come off is much more rewarding. Take the plunge and you'll do great!

Same process for breakfasts and any snacks. Because I work in an office where everyone goes out to eat lunch everyday I need to hold on to Jenny for lunch. I'm okay with that for now. I'm only 8 pounds to goal and I honestly may continue eating lunch for awhile through Jenny Craig.

My link

#10 JennyCaps

JennyCaps

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:27 AM

First thing I did in my plan was research the **** out of cookbooks. Just like Jenny Craig, in a cookbook everything is laid out for you in terms of how much you need of each ingredient and what to buy. In my research I found a lot of crappy cookbooks that pretend to be diet. The best one I found is called "The Diabetic Cookbook." I ordered it on Amazon and when it arrived I literally read the whole thing.

Not sure why it looks like I swore there....

My link

#11 JennyCaps

JennyCaps

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:51 PM

So here goes a recipe to try out: Turkey Tacos with avocado-corn salsa :)

Ingredients:

1 firm, Ripe Avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
1 cup canned sweet corn kernels, rinsed and drained
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 Tablespoon lime juice
1 Package corn taco shells
12 ounces cooked booneless skinless turkey breast, sliced into thin strips
1/4 cup water
1 Package (1,1/4 ounces) reduced sodium taco seasoning mix (I used old el paso taco kit for low sodium mix)

Directions:
1. In a medium bowl, mix the avocado, corn, tomatoes and lime juice, set aside
2. Warm the shells in the oven according to the package directions
3. In a medium skillet, combine the turkey, water and seasoning. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occassionally.
4. Spoon the turkey mixture into the shells. Top with the salsa

Makes 6 Servings, 2 Tacos/serving

Per Serving:
284 Calories
26g carbohydrate
20g protein
11g fat
2.5g saturated fat
39 mg cholesterol
465mg sodium
4g Fiber

Dietary Exchanges:

1 starch, 2 and a half meat, 1 and a half fat

Lets Compare: Jenny Craig Chicken Fajitas
300 Calories
8g fat
2.5g saturated fat
40mg Cholesterol
520 mg Sodium
38g Carbs
3g Fiber
19g Protein

So, the turkey tacos win in most areas, lose in fat. Fat is because of the salsa. Exchange the avocado for another veggie. Add to this some fat free salsa as a free food and low fat sour cream as a limited free and I promise it's freaking delicious and takes less than 20 mins to prep. It's an amazing substitute.

My link

#12 I Called Jenny

I Called Jenny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,822 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:30 PM

Thanks sooooo much! I love to cook (and I'm pretty good at it) so I'm so grateful for what looks to be things I can make that both my husband and I can enjoy. I'm ordering that cookbook!

Phyllis
Phyllis

Height: 5'2
SW - 177.6
Goal! - 132
Returning Weight - 143
CW - GOAL AGAIN!!!

Posted Image

Before JC with hubby and nephews in 2006/After JC (2nd time) in 2011

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 Kate514

Kate514

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:09 AM

What is the author of the cookbook? I want to make sure I get the right one. Thanks. Kate

Posted Image

#14 Willing1

Willing1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:46 PM

Not sure why it looks like I swore there....

No problem! Thanks for walking me through your process. Very helpful. I'd like to order the book too and would appreciate either author or publisher info when you get a moment. Read your blog. Really great.

#15 Madhouse

Madhouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:34 PM

Thank you SO SO much for posting! You are an inspiration! I just reached my half way point last week and was freaking out on what to do - but I'm going to do exactly what YOU did! haha -- start slow, one or two meals at a time and I'm going to get that cook book, too. Thanks again and keep posting! You helped me so much! :D

Started JC  4/25/11     195 lbs

10/13/12    167
                  1/16/13     174.6
                  4/25/14     174.2..... Three years and counting and I'm not giving up....GW: 140

5/31/14     175.8

6/13/14     174.8      After 10 days in Hawaii!

6/20/14     174.6

6/27/14     Camping

7/5/14       175 (home weigh-in)

7/11/14      In NYC

7/14/14     172.4!!!!!!!

7/28/14     169.5 GOODBYE 70's!!!!  I never want to see you again!

100_0571-Copy-1.jpg

100_0570-1.jpg

#16 strollerb

strollerb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:17 PM

Is this cookbook the one written by Barbara Quinn with the word "DTOUR" written in the middle of the title? It has a purple cover?

#17 strollerb

strollerb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:21 PM

My favorite snack is the chocolate cheesecake. Has anyone found a sub for it? I was thinking that I might try making one myself with FF cream cheese, but I'd have to do a lot of tasting to find the right recipe. And if you don't make the cheesecake with a crust, hwo do you get it out of the pan?

#18 Linda M Marsh

Linda M Marsh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:57 PM

I posted this post on another topic, however I wanted to start a new one with some ideas for substituting and get other people's recipes for doing meals on my own.

I just lost 32 pounds and finally feel comfortable substituting (my halfway was 25 pounds). I've been doing Jenny since May 2011.

I'm in Canada so I'm not sure what you have in the US... but I have found a substitute for every single snack! The portions are smaller and my consultant did tell me not to add anything like fruit to it. She said just eat the snacks as a subsititute as long as the ingredients and nutritional label match.

Next research I did was on finding a cookbook. I went on Amazon and found "The Diabetes Diet Cookbook."

Essentially, the food looks amazing, it's very high in fiber and low in sugars and sodium. The book boasts that cooking these foods you will lose up to 2 pounds/week. When comparing the recipes, it's pretty much the same foods (only difference is I can finally make my dinners with fresh ingredients from scratch. I live with a chef... which is partially why I gained the weight in the first place. He hates watching me eat frozen meals all the time.) Another great part about this book is every recipe has diet exchanges. So I know exactly how many starch/meat/dairy I am getting in each meal. It really is worth the 20 bucks and most recipes look so easy. I'll post again when I start cooking.

I'm not cutting out JC foods. My next order will have only 7 breakfasts, 7 dinners, 7 snacks and 14 lunches. Lunch has to be easy for me or I will eat out so I'm not ready to give up my JC lunches every day (and I might never be ready to do so). So on a two week order, I will make my own breakfast and dinner every other day.

Pretty much everything has a substitute.

100 Calories SmartFood Popcorn- Substitute for JC popcorn
Fat 6g
Saturated fat: 1g
Cholesterol: 5mg
Sodium: 140mg
carbs: 9g

JC Popcorn:
cholesterol: 5mg
Sodium: 200mg
Carbs: 15g
Protein: 5g

Mr. Christies Thinsations Chocolate Covered Pretzels- Substitute for JC Toffee Cookies
Saturated: 2g
Sodium: 160mg
Carbs: 16g

JC Toffee Cookies:
Calories: 120
Protein: 1g

Mr. Christie Thinsations Nutter Butter Bars- Substitute for JC Chocolate Caramel Peanut Bar
Trans:0g
Sodium: 95mg
Carbs: 18g
Sugars: 8g
Protein 2g

JC Chocolate Caramel Peanut Bar:
Calories: 140
Saturated: 3.5g
Carbs: 19g
Fiber: 2g
Sugars: 14g
Protein: 6g

Baked Cheetos 100 Calorie Packs- Substitute for JC Cheese Curls
Fat: 4g
Saturated: 0.5g
Sodium 180mg
Carbs: 14g

JC Cheese Curls:
Sodium: 230mg

The portions are smaller.... but the price is also astronomically smaller. In Canada it is $2.99 for a pack of 5. In the Mr. Christie cookies, there are dozens of flavours from chocolate chip cookies to Soft Baked Cheesecake Delight bars. All of which are comparable to JC snacks. So for my next JC order I only ordered a few cheesecakes because I have yet to find a delicious substitute for these. Also the Key Lime Pie just came out and I'm dying to try it.

#19 Linda M Marsh

Linda M Marsh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:58 PM

Thank you for this very helpful information. I am within 2 pounds of my 1/2 way mark and need the help.

#20 Jewels3665

Jewels3665

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:54 AM

I have this cookbook too! A life saver!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users