• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 CarpeDiemJen

CarpeDiemJen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 07:56 PM

So...I'm 26 and been about 40lbs overweight since like jr. high, so definately while developing and through my adult life. I'm on my way to losing it!!! (Woohoo!) I really want to be in a bikini by next summer...I was wondering if any of you have any problems with loose skin? How did you fix it? Is there a fix? If not, do you have problems hiding it?

#2 Blessed4Life2

Blessed4Life2

(:Forum Optimistologist:)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,977 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:02 PM

ha, we have had this discussion SO many times on here. I believe this is a concern for all of us. I dont really think there is anything we can do to prevent it, but some here have said that after doing some toning exercises and after time.....about a year after, that they can tell a difference, the skin seems tighter. Others of us have entertained the thought of lipo or tummy tucks......which I am very much entertaining very soon. wink.gif
*´¨)
  ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•`
MeLissa~

Posted Image

"reached my goal (-64 lbs) and now ROCKIN' maintenance....WooHoooooo"

#3 NorthShoreGirl

NorthShoreGirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:03 PM

Also, the consensus seems to be that younger skin tightens up better & more quickly, lucky you!!! And it can take a year for it to "spring" back -- in other words, don't worry too much if you have some loose skin when you make goal, because that part is still a work in progress. blink.gif

Good luck, and congrats for doing this for you!
Susan
Started Sep 11 2010 / 5'4"
SW: 197.6 / CW: 154.2 / GW: 135

Wk 1: -5.0
Wk 2: -2.6
Wk 3: -0.8
Wk 4: -2.8 (-11")
Wk 5: -2.0
Wk 6: No WI, vacation
Wk 7: -3.0 (2 wks)
Wk 8: -4.2 (!!)
Wk 9: -1.2
Wk 10: -1.0
Wk 11: -1.0
Wk 12: -2.0
Wk 13: -1.6 (w/vacation!)
Wk 14: -0.0
Wk 15: -1.2
Wk 16: -0.8
Wk 17: -2.2
Wk 18: -1.8
Wk 19: +2.4 (wtf?!)
Wk 20: -3.4 (whew!)
Wk 21: -1.0 (35 lbs gone!)
Wk 22: -2.2
Wk 23: -0.2
Wk 24: -0.0 (TOM)
Wk 25: -1.8
Wk 26: -1.2
Wk 27: -0.0 (-25.5"!!)
Wk 28: -1.6
Wk 29: -0.0 (w vaca!)
Wk 30: -1.4

#4 reddyrawks

reddyrawks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:45 AM

I am lucky I never had that problem even after 3 kids.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Volcanomom

Volcanomom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:50 AM

QUOTE(reddyrawks @ Dec 14 2010, 07:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am lucky I never had that problem even after 3 kids.

I hate you! No just kidding! laugh.gif My OB told me that skin elasticity varies greatly from woman to woman and that all the vitamin e and creams in the world won't fix it if you don't have elastic skin. I don't...LOL

I look like Freddy Krueger delivered my son if you go my the stretchmarks. Now that I'm losing, they're better but the skin stretch (for me...your results may vary)...is here to stay. I'll see where it is next year, and where our budget is after my cataract surgery and decide where to go from there LOL.

Of course with the cataracts - the skin doesn't look so bad...it's kinda blurry biggrin.gif

SW: 215.6
CW: 154.4
GW: 145

#6 Blessed4Life2

Blessed4Life2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,977 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:53 AM

QUOTE(Volcanomom @ Dec 14 2010, 07:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of course with the cataracts - the skin doesn't look so bad...it's kinda blurry biggrin.gif

haha, thats a thought.....when I look in the mirror I'll just take off my glasses.......blurry can be good! lol
*´¨)
  ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•`
MeLissa~

Posted Image

#7 CindyDi

CindyDi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:36 AM

QUOTE(Blessed4Life2 @ Dec 14 2010, 05:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
haha, thats a thought.....when I look in the mirror I'll just take off my glasses.......blurry can be good! lol

Why hadn't I thought of taking my glasses off? I'm doing that tonight, I'm going to look fantastic! wink.gif

#8 SweetDreams

SweetDreams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:06 AM

I can tell you that age makes a big difference for me. I lost over 100 lbs when I was in my early 20's, and my skin bounced back quite a bit (considering how badly it had been abused all of my life). But then when I put it all back on over the next 10 years, and lost it all again, there was no bouncing back at all.

I'd say that given your age, and the relatively small amount you have to lose, you stand a good chance. But as others said, everyone is completely different. Just remember, the best thing you can do for skin is to drink plenty of water...and avoid the yo-yo diet of course.
Denise

A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.
Steven Wright

Then   223.1
Now    190.5

#9 bethanna2004

bethanna2004

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:17 AM

Anything ya can do for bat wings! sad.gif BH

#10 Sulynn

Sulynn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:56 AM

Hello,

I gained 50 pounds with my son at 29 and the skin never went back after I lost the weight. I have never been able to wear a bikini since. This is such a sore spot for me, and as others have said that a tummy tuck is the only way to rid that skin. I hope that my financial postion will get better in the next few years and it is something that I will be able to do.

If you are planning to have children I would wait to go the surgery route, since a tummy tuck has a high price. As others said, it could take up to a year of toning to really help. Seems like the stomach fat is also the last to go.

I have been so discouraged in the past when I have lost weight, since this area never seems to improve no matter how much I lose. It's a struggle every day to look into the mirror (I have 20/20 vision) and enjoy my 26 pound weight loss, but still have this ugly looking stomach.

As other have said to me on this site that you have to look at the whole value of losing weight and that is being heatlhier and looking so much better even if we don't end up with our ideal body type.

Also, I imagine myself everyday with a flat stomach and as "The Secret" says that if you will it to be .. it will be. I believe that to be 100% true just from my own life experiences.

Sulynn

Sulynn

#11 bubele

bubele

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:31 AM

This is also a big concern for me! My JCC keeps telling me to get in more weights and start toning now so that I can try and avoid this as much as possible. My stomach already looks bad from a huge gain during pregnancy and then an emergency c-section which I think one of my muscles got cut into. It's not pretty....

My little baby clothing company: Bubele

Connect with me on FaceBook to become weight loss pals! =)

#12 Blessed4Life2

Blessed4Life2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,977 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:41 AM

QUOTE(bubele @ Dec 14 2010, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is also a big concern for me! My JCC keeps telling me to get in more weights and start toning now so that I can try and avoid this as much as possible. My stomach already looks bad from a huge gain during pregnancy and then an emergency c-section which I think one of my muscles got cut into. It's not pretty....

You may have developed a hernia after delivery. Sometimes the ab muscles do not go back together after pregnancy (from being stretched out) and your tummy will have the appearance of your abdominal muscles being cut into.
*´¨)
  ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•`
MeLissa~

Posted Image

#13 bubele

bubele

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE(Blessed4Life2 @ Dec 14 2010, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You may have developed a hernia after delivery. Sometimes the ab muscles do not go back together after pregnancy (from being stretched out) and your tummy will have the appearance of your abdominal muscles being cut into.

One of the many reasons my husband is grateful to be a man11 LOL

Oh well, at least I will eventually look good inn a pair of jeans again!

My little baby clothing company: Bubele

Connect with me on FaceBook to become weight loss pals! =)

#14 reddyrawks

reddyrawks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE(Volcanomom @ Dec 14 2010, 05:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hate you! No just kidding! laugh.gif My OB told me that skin elasticity varies greatly from woman to woman and that all the vitamin e and creams in the world won't fix it if you don't have elastic skin. I don't...LOL

I look like Freddy Krueger delivered my son if you go my the stretchmarks. Now that I'm losing, they're better but the skin stretch (for me...your results may vary)...is here to stay. I'll see where it is next year, and where our budget is after my cataract surgery and decide where to go from there LOL.

I do realize how lucky I am, I didn't get stretch marks either. I have a friend that Freddy worked on before you..I always felt so bad for her!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 Chopstickgirl

Chopstickgirl

Hoopin' Mama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:59 PM

Here's my experience and a friend's as well.

Younger=better skin firming
genetics play a big part
drink a ton of freaking water. it makes all the difference.
start lifting weights. replacing fat with muscle also makes a HUGE difference, even if muscle takes up less space then fat.

you have to wait a year after hitting goal weight to see what and where your body will go. my friend lost 130lbs, and in her first year at goal, she went down from a size 6 to a 4, but the scale didn't move, it was just her skin tightening up (and she had previously had 2 kids in 2 years and been obese her whole life, just as a point of reference)

Honestly, my belly/body doesn't look like the magical vision I had for it in my head, but I'm ok with that. body shapers are a magical thing wink.gif and i still look far better than i did 135lbs ago, i can see even though i'm not at goal yet my body changing and skin firming up in the past few months especially, so i have some hope. here's a close up of my belly then and now, it's not terrible, but i'll never wear a bikini (also had 3 kids in 4 years, good times)

my pics through out the last year, month to month, and a close up from last month of my stomach

Posted Image

Posted Image

Total weight loss since 2009

Posted Image

Weight Loss since rejoining JC 5/24/2014

Posted Image

September 2009    October 2010    

Meet Jen & Keith

#16 DDK

DDK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:12 PM

I just weighed in Monday and loose skin was what I discussed with my JCC. Some good suggestions about drinking lots of water and waiting a year before having surgery. I'm thrilled with the weight loss, just not so thrilled with all the skin, I guess I want instant results! I'll have to try taking the contacts out before I look in the mirror laugh.gif

#17 PattieD

PattieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:10 AM

When my sister had her first kid she was told to use liquid vitamin B when the marks started. It worked very well.

I have some friends that used to body build when younger. They used B on thier arms and the marks have faded a bit but not completely gone.

My Mom used it when she had breast cancer while she was having radiation. It's fantastic stuff. If I develope marks I plan to give it a try.

Pattie
Started Sept 11, 2010 - Reached my Goal June 17, 2011

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

#18 Blessed4Life2

Blessed4Life2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,977 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:07 AM

QUOTE(PattieD @ Dec 15 2010, 06:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When my sister had her first kid she was told to use liquid vitamin B when the marks started. It worked very well.

I have some friends that used to body build when younger. They used B on thier arms and the marks have faded a bit but not completely gone.

My Mom used it when she had breast cancer while she was having radiation. It's fantastic stuff. If I develope marks I plan to give it a try.

Cant go wrong w/vit B......good stuff when taken too. I get monthly B-12 shots.
*´¨)
  ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•`
MeLissa~

Posted Image

#19 bethanna2004

bethanna2004

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:46 AM

Any suggestions for "bat wings"? I'm trying to tone up my upper arms using small weights. I think it's helping a bit, but think my upper arms are gonna stay flabby. Let's say, hypothetically, I get to my desired weight and still have problems, is there any kind of corrective surgery? Advise appreciated. BH

#20 Blessed4Life2

Blessed4Life2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,977 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:43 AM

QUOTE(bethanna2004 @ Dec 15 2010, 08:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any suggestions for "bat wings"? I'm trying to tone up my upper arms using small weights. I think it's helping a bit, but think my upper arms are gonna stay flabby. Let's say, hypothetically, I get to my desired weight and still have problems, is there any kind of corrective surgery? Advise appreciated. BH

Beth, imho I think the only thing to help batwings is surgery. You can do toning exercises (which is helpful) but drooping skin is what it is! You can have the excess skin removed surgically.....which I hear is a very painful recovery, and the scarring is pretty bad, but it just really depends how bad you want those things gone. Sometimes we have to pay to look good.....no pain no gain they say blink.gif
*´¨)
  ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•`
MeLissa~

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users