8 replies to this topic

#1 clr825

clr825

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:31 AM

I'm curious to know what the differences are between the regular plan and Type 2. Thought I don't have problem with blood sugar I find if I eat more than I need I am hungrier. Are there certain foods you don't get on the planned menus?

Thanks in advance for the info!

#2 kwow

kwow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE(clr825 @ Jun 3 2010, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm curious to know what the differences are between the regular plan and Type 2. Thought I don't have problem with blood sugar I find if I eat more than I need I am hungrier. Are there certain foods you don't get on the planned menus?

Thanks in advance for the info!

My Center said they didn't have a Type II plan and that the regular plan is based on the food pyramid and exchange system and is the same as a diabetic diet plan. Always thought that was weird since they advertise a special plan. Why would they advertise this and then not have it???? I would also like to hear if others have been offered a diet specific for Diabetes. Thanks.

#3 kwow

kwow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:32 AM

My Center in NY also said the same thing -- no special plan; their plan is a diabetic plan that works for everyone. Agree, very weird!

#4 zonnasis

zonnasis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:34 PM

I think it's a special plan (or specially designed for you with a JC nutritionist) IF you take insulin. I'm type 2 and they asked me if I was on insulin. If you are on insulin, then you need a doctor's note and then they'll also work with a special nutritionist for your diet plan. I think that if you're on insulin, then they need to monitor you more closely because you're likely to need to adjust your insulin injection levels as you lose weight, etc.

#5 KukaaKatchou

KukaaKatchou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:48 AM

I'm diabetic and on insulin and I'm getting the regular plan.
Posted Image

Starting Weight: 187.6 lbs (Joined 12 week program)
Week 1: -2.0 lbs Week 11: -1.8 lbs (sick all week)
Week 2: -3.0 lbs Week 12: -0.4 lbs (ice cream!)
Week 3: -3.2 lbs Week 13: -1.2 lbs
Week 4: -2.2 lbs Week 20: 158.6 lbs (29 lbs lost! 33.6 to go!)
Week 5: -2.4 lbs Week 21:
Week 6: -1.0 lbs (after 4 days) Week 22:
Week 7: -3.0 lbs Week 23:
Week 8: -1.8 lbs (Upgraded to Premium program!) Week 24:
Week 9: -1.4 lbs (20 lbs total!) Week 25:
Week 10: -1.8 lbs Week 26:

#6 Fritz_KS

Fritz_KS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

Why does JC promote Jenny Craig Type2 as a special program? You talk to the counsler and they say that there is no special Type2 program, the regular diet works for people with Type II diabetes. When you look at what a typical 1700-2300 cal. carb. intake is per day, it's an avg. of 125+ grams of Carb. From some research, this seems a little high for someone with Type II. My doctor suggested to lighten the carb intake for breakfast by substituting a highprotein/low carb shake (atkins). I have been working with my counsler and minimizing the carb intake like not electing to do the Pizza and high carb items. This seems to be working. Been on JC for 3 weeks and daily b.s. is slowly going down (between metaforum, exercise and Jenny).

Still don't know why JC acts like there is a special Type 2 program. With all this being said, I haven't found any other diet program that caters to loosing weight and supports a Type II friendly menu.

#7 renery

renery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:57 PM

I learned a month ago that my blood sugar is mildly elevated --103. But it was 79 only two years ago, so I feel that I really need to nip this in the bud. When I had my last appointment I weighed 155 (clothes on, afternoon). I would probably count that as 153 morning weight, stripped. I started my weight loss 3 years ago when I came back from a vacation & the scale hatefully landed on 174. I was determined not to get to 175, so I started counting calories that day. I took off 10 lbs by myself and came to a standstill around 164. A (skinny) friend had lost 8 lbs on Jenny & got down to a size 0 again (boo-hoo!), so I thought if she could do it so could I. I followed JC for about 6 months and lost 17 lbs, so I was down to 147. Then I went off the program for almost two years and during that time I only gained back 6 lbs. My doctor told me that if I lost 10-20 lbs I would definitely see the bad numbers come down on my tests (cholesterol is 250).

I had noticed that JC is heavy on pasta, bread, rice and potatoes, things that the nutritionist told me to avoid to bring my blood sugar down. She told me to track my carbs, which is easy if I log everything into my BodyMedia account daily. I found it was impossible to stay under 100 g carbs if I ate all Jenny meals. So I made a chart for myself of which meals had 30g carbs and below. I also found a website that rated the nutritional value of Jenny foods & I removed a few that had a rating of D or F. Only 19 meals remained on my list. Here it is:

Breakfast scramble, mixed berry bar, sunshine sandwich, ranchero breakfast, florentine breakfast pizza, Blueberry pancakes, breakfast stuffed sandwich, mesquite chicken, salisbury steak, mashed potato & beef, chicken pasta parm, homestyle chicken casserole, spaghetti & meatballs, chicken sandwich, chicken/corn chowder, beef chili w/ beans, turkey chili, chicken fettucini, tortellini soup. If there's any bread, potato, rice or pasta in the meal I just eat about 3/4 of that item. I throw the 1/4 away & don't even put it on my plate.

I also bought some Boost Glucose Control drinks that I occasionally substitute for breakfast or lunch. I limited fruit to 2 servings and eat a lot of veggies (except corn, of course). I've been back to Jenny 5 weeks now. The first 3 weeks I was just ordering what I liked and was losing only ounces per week. The last two weeks I have been ordering these and drinking the Boost occasionally. My first week only this plan I lost 4.5 lbs.

I don't expect to see this kind of loss every week, but it was very encouraging and I know I'm on the right track. I hope that see a nice drop in my health numbers when I go back in 5 months for a re-test.

Posted Image

Started JC Aug 27, 2011. Lost the first 10 lbs pre-Jenny. GW: 130 lbs by March 1, 2012. MM 4 wk avg daily Stats: 2200 burned / 1250 consumed / balance 950 deficit / activity: 1:38 / steps: 6538 / Sleep: 7.5 hr

#8 france exchange

france exchange

Prudie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:04 PM

My JCC sat down with me and a list of all the JC cuisine items. This list showed the grams of carbs for each meal. I limited myself to meals that were lower in carbs (30g or less) for a while. Once my doctor could see that my blood sugar was maintaining, I was able to add other food items in. I still stick with the lower carb (and sugar) items even though I eat more meals on my own now.
New goal--170

Posted Image
            Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Prudie

Posted Image

Back in the saddle again!  Caught myself due to clothes being too tight.  Thank goodness I got rid of the big clothes!
Started January 23, 2012 at 275 lb.

#9 DTrentRN

DTrentRN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:57 PM

There really is no separate program for Type 2 diabetes or any other type. It's all about knowing your carb limitations and which foods cause your blood sugars to rise. Anyone who joins and lists diabetes as one of their health conditions requires a signature from their doctor, whether they are on insulin or not.

I learned several years ago that there is no one-size-fits-all where diabetes is concerned. Some diabetics take oral meds, some insulin, and some able to manage their diabetes with diet and exercise only. There are also differences in how we react to certain foods. The Jenny Craig plan is very well balanced and if you look at the labels you will see that the exchanges meet most meal planning guidelines. This being said, each person with diabetes on JC has to do some experimenting to see how they react to certain foods. We are not all the same. For instance, I have found that the cereals are no-no's for me. With the added milk, the carbs are much too high for me and my blood sugars soar. Some of the breads/sandwiches can have the same effect, but not always. Once I did some testing after eating different JC foods I was able to cross some off my list and only order those that won't make my sugars jump. You will probably need to do the same.

I think the way the program advertises JennyType2 is misleading and should probably be eliminated. We are not really getting any special education or advice from our JCC, in fact I have spent more time educating the consultants at my center. Just my opinion.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users