Photo

Anyone bought the new Jenny Craig Scale?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bananamom

bananamom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 01:46 PM

I had my weigh-in this morning and was only down 1.0 pound!  My counselor reminded me that I'm probably losing inches and to try not to judge success solely by the number on the scale.
Then she told me about this new scale called the Jenny Craig/Tanita Scale.  It measures your weight and the percentage of your body fat.  You can set it to your age/gender/height and it will remember up to four people.  Only drawback is if you have a pacemaker, you cannot use it.  It was also a little pricey ($79.00), but since I don't have a scale and was thinking about buying one instead, I decided to give it a try.
Once I got home, I tried it and I weighed exactly the same as in the JC center.  But my body fat was 50%!!!  I was nearly floored!  It comes with a booklet that has a chart showing the healthy ranges of body fat percentages in men and women - but I didn't need a booklet to tell me that 50% is very  unhealthy.
This just makes me more determined to stay on the program and finally learn to eat healthy!  Has anyone else out there tried the scale?  Would love to hear if you liked it or not!
Chiquita

#2 lafinbby

lafinbby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 04:40 PM

Hi Chiquita, I bought a body fat scale as well (though not from JC).  Unfortunately your scale is probably reading about right.  I was measured at 48% at my gym when I weighed about 239 lbs do your figures sound about right.  I'm going to be retested at my gym again this Friday & then compare it to my scale at home.  One thing to be aware of though is that it WILL take quite a while for the percentage to drop - it won't drop off nearly as fast as the pounds.
I like it as it is a better measure of your health than the scale alone.  But like you, I was quite shocked when I got my first reading.  But I know that's it's going no where but down!!  Good Luck.

#3 CarJon

CarJon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 12:53 AM

I bought the JC scale too.  It's nice to have a really accurate weight.  If yours is like mine, my body fat percentage reading fluctuates between 44% and 48%, sometimes within the same day, so that couldn't be absolutely right.  I just consider it an estimate.

#4 Laura40

Laura40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 03:58 AM

I have not bought the JC scale but I did buy a Tanita bodyfat scale which was pretty inaccurate.  It gives you different readings different times of the day and also at different times of the month.  One thing I learned is that the "bioelectrical impedence" technology that it uses cannot distinguish between body water and body fat, so that's why it fluctuates.  So, for consistency, weigh yourself on it only once a month (at the same time of your cycle each month) and at the same time of day (preferably first thing in a.m. on an empty stomach, i.e don't drink anything first).

#5 Sashenka

Sashenka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 06:48 AM

I have simple body fat Tanita scale. i've read instruction and it suggests to drink water before measurement and do measurements every day for a week and take average. I usually measure between 25 and 24% every evening before sleep. I also go to the gym for the same measurements and they use TANITA very fancy one - on average my fat % is 3% less than at home. Actually, it is strictly 3% less. I trust gym ones more, so I simply know now that if I measure at home 25%, it means that I am about 22%.
Gyms usually give you instructions before you measure you fat%. They suggest nothing to eat within 2 hours and at least 1l of water 1 hour prior = so good hydration is stressed out there, too.
Laura, where did you read about not drinking water before body fat measurements, I'd like to read this info.
Thanks.

#6 PomPomGirl

PomPomGirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 07:50 AM

Actually, everything I have seen shows that you need to be hydrated for the body fat % to be anywhere close to correct.  In fact, the Tanita booklet itself (though I didn't get mine through JC) notes that you shouldn't measure your body fat first thing in the morning as you are far less hydrated than after you've had some water.  So, I do my weight in the morning and my body fat % in the evening.

#7 EllenWheels

EllenWheels

Helen Wheels

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,959 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 11:12 AM

URGH! Does anyone read the instructions that come with the scale?
It is supposedto give you a different reading at different times of the day, cdepending upon how hydrated you are. That's why the instructions say that you are to take the body fat measurement in the early evening, after you are fully hydrated for the day. It is supposed to be a little different at different times of the month because women can vary as much as six pounds within a few days, from water weight alone.
The instructions say that women need to take their body fat percentage frequently and average the results over time, preferably a month.
So, if you weigh yourself in the morning after you first wake up, when your body is slightly dehydrated from overnight respiration (usually by about two pounds of water loss overnight), pay attention to the weight, since this is the time of day when you will have the smallest amount of fluctuation. However, if you are slightly dehydrated, the body fat percentage will be higher because there is not enough water in your body for an accurate body fat percentage at that time of day.
Later in the day, your weight is more likely to fluctuate, because you will have a certain amount of water in your system, and you will have added the food you have eaten to the rest of you, making the weight total higher.
So, for the most accurate results despite the natural fluctuations inherent in each of the measurements, do your weight in the morning, and your body fat in the evening.

#8 Laura40

Laura40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 02:59 AM

I stand corrected on the no water/first thing in the morning comment I made before....I have my Tanita scale in my closet and haven't used it in a long time.  I looked at the instructions and you are all correct.  The reason I hadn't used it in so long was that for my gym I purchased a Futrex infrared bodyfat analyzer....it was a $3500 machine and you could use it any time of day/month without worrying about hydration.  In fact it would tell you your pounds of lean, pounds of fat, and liters of water in your body at any given time...pretty cool. The infrared could tell the difference between the fat and water.  So I guess I had forgotten how to use the Tanita one...all I remembered was that hydration was an issue. Sorry, my bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users